Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:54:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Electrum user - deposit sitting on blockchain, won't go to wallet?  (Read 1190 times)
just2bu (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 05:19:36 PM

I created a default wallet and deposited a small amount to the receive address, (first one in the initial set provided) and it arrived in my wallet, shows up in my history etc...perfect.

I then sent more btc to the second address in my pool and it shows on the block chain but it won't automatically enter my wallet like the first one did.

I'm trying to figure out why but I'm stumped and the user documentation I've been able to find doesn't help. What am I missing please?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 05:43:29 PM

Can you perhaps post a link to the transaction and or the address you used so that one can look up the transaction to see why it is not showing up.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 05:46:08 PM

Operating system (and its version) + the version of Electrum wallet used ? (also give the information's that RustyNomad asked)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
just2bu (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 05:50:15 PM

Operating system (and its version) + the version of Electrum wallet used ? (also give the information's that RustyNomad asked)

I didn't know if that was safe or not.

Mac 10.8.5, Electrum 2.5.4

Address : 1JQaKnNi6R6B75e3RWPBtqAbiEgCr5ByJM
TxID : deb41861d7c1e6b898fea97c990b3b4cda002ccbe9a66904bc7f7ad1d68a238

Thank you!
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 05:51:57 PM

Thank you!

The transaction already has 20 confirmation so it should have shown up in your wallet long ago. You sure the address is 100% correct i.e. the address you posted above, is it in your wallet? If so then the funds should be there.
just2bu (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 05:58:20 PM

Thank you!

The transaction already has 20 confirmation so it should have shown up in your wallet long ago. You sure the address is 100% correct i.e. the address you posted above, is it in your wallet? If so then the funds should be there.

I can only post once every 5 doggone minutes. :-(

I know it should have, I'm new to Electrum but I've been transferring btc for a year and it seemed pretty straightforward.

I absolutely see 1JQaKnNi6R6B75e3RWPBtqAbiEgCr5ByJM as the 2nd of about 15 default receiving addresses listed in my Electrum default wallet above the Change addresses.
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 06:01:40 PM

I know it should have, I'm new to Electrum but I've been transferring btc for a year and it seemed pretty straightforward.

I absolutely see 1JQaKnNi6R6B75e3RWPBtqAbiEgCr5ByJM as the 2nd of about 15 default receiving addresses listed in my Electrum default wallet above the Change addresses.

Is Electrum connected? Check right bottom, is there a green dot? Maybe Electrum is not 100% up to date?

If there is not a Green dot check the connection. Go to Tools-->Network and check if Auto-connect is checked.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 06:03:31 PM

Thank you!

Then it wouldn't make a lot of sense , if RustyNomad suggestion above don't work you either .
You can try to Unistall Electrum (deleting electrum's AppData folder as-well) and Install it once again , if that don 't work , try to use it on another PC (restore it on another PC using the seed you had as a backup when you first made the wallet) .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
just2bu (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 06:12:13 PM

Is Electrum connected? Check right bottom, is there a green dot? Maybe Electrum is not 100% up to date?

If there is not a Green dot check the connection. Go to Tools-->Network and check if Auto-connect is checked.

Yes, green dot and auto-connect already checked.

Then it wouldn't make a lot of sense , if RustyNomad suggestion above don't work you either .
You can try to Unistall Electrum (deleting electrum's AppData folder as-well) and Install it once again , if that don 't work , try to use it on another PC (restore it on another PC using the seed you had as a backup when you first made the wallet) .

So as long as I have my seed I won't lose anything, correct? I've never done that so it makes me nervous.
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 06:20:00 PM

So as long as I have my seed I won't lose anything, correct? I've never done that so it makes me nervous.

Not sure what happened just now, got a double post in one post.

Was saying, if Electrum is up to date and the address is in your wallet then maybe all that will work is what OmegaStarScream suggests above.

And yes, all you need is your wallet's seed. With that you can restore your wallet at anytime. You do not need anything else, just those seed words. So always keep a copy written down somewhere and keep it in a very safe place. Anybody who gets hold of that will also be able to restore your wallet and have full access to it.
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 06:22:38 PM

Before you restore maybe just try the following.

Go to Network again and deselect the Auto-connect. Select another server in that list of servers and press ok and see if it maybe updates then. It has happened to me before where it does show the green dot but where where it was actually lagging.

Just see if that maybe works. If not then do as OSS suggested.
just2bu (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 06:24:39 PM

Not sure what happened just now, got a double post in one post.

Was saying, if Electrum is up to date and the address is in your wallet then maybe all that will work is what OmegaStarScream suggests above.

And yes, all you need is your wallet's seed. With that you can restore your wallet at anytime. You do not need anything else, just those seed words. So always keep a copy written down somewhere and keep it in a very safe place. Anybody who gets hold of that will also be able to restore your wallet and have full access to it.

I edited the post to have them both since I don't know if I can respond before 5 minutes yet.

Thank you so much guys, restoring worked and I didn't have to reinstall the app, just deleted the data as per this document:
http://bitzuma.com/posts/a-beginners-guide-to-the-electrum-bitcoin-wallet/

Again, thank you both so much!
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2015, 06:28:32 PM

A good experience for you to recover your wallet. Everybody should actually do that right from the start so that they are familiar with how to recover a wallet. Once you do that you realise and understand how important it is to keep a copy of that seed in a safe place.

Electrum is a very nice wallet and its constantly being updated so a good choice.

Glad you got sorted. 

hajo

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 02:46:27 AM

I find it a bit dangerous to advise people to delete their wallet and restore from seed. I believe there are instances where this might lead to tricky situations, if not even loss of data.

True, for the newbie who only created a default wallet and hasn't changed settings, it's a safe procedure. But what if e.g. addresses were manually imported?
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2015, 04:33:01 AM

I find it a bit dangerous to advise people to delete their wallet and restore from seed. I believe there are instances where this might lead to tricky situations, if not even loss of data.

True, for the newbie who only created a default wallet and hasn't changed settings, it's a safe procedure. But what if e.g. addresses were manually imported?

With the latest versions of Electrum this is not a problem as you cannot import addresses into Electrum, you can only sweep addresses to those in the wallet, but yes, I understand what you are saying.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: