Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:38:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pool hopping - I'm 12 and what is this?  (Read 4900 times)
supa (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:18:58 AM

I keep seeing people complain about "pool hoppers."

Someone please explain to me why this is bad.  PM if it's really bad.

I'm not that much into pool-politics and other woes, but I am considering releasing a doohickey that potentially does bad things (automatically hops).

As far as I can tell, I do get more bitcoins but I don't put in any more/less work.  It just allows me to participate in more smaller payouts on each pool rather than hoping a single pool maintains it's "luck."

Edit and PS - I'm not actually 12.  I posted that before I realized people may not get the reference.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kr105

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:24:56 AM

- I loved your sig, if you don't mind i'll steal it.
- Please PM me your tool, i want to know if it is as bad as many say or not.
supa (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:34:49 AM

Tell me why it's bad first! Smiley

Also, I about the "more coins with more/less work" - that isn't entirely true if a pool doesn't hit a dry spell.

From my testing, you will make more sticking to one single pool if that pool has consistent output.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:48:14 AM

There is already a pool mining proxy out there (that jumps pools whenever your favorite goes down) - it is not a bad thing in my eyes but a smart thing.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:00:06 AM

There is already a pool mining proxy out there (that jumps pools whenever your favorite goes down) - it is not a bad thing in my eyes but a smart thing.
But, isn't he talking about "pool hopping", where you jump out at >43.5%.....Blah...Blah...Blah...make more BTC with less work...Blah?

DigitalAsh

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 07:27:54 AM

is that a 4chan/misc reference?
MadduckUK

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:17:02 AM

is that a 4chan/misc reference?

Mining Pool's Closed  Cry
supa (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:00:14 PM

But, isn't he talking about "pool hopping", where you jump out at >43.5%.....Blah...Blah...Blah...make more BTC with less work...Blah?

Yes, this, tell me more.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:04:47 PM

Yes, this, tell me more.
Use google or the search function here, you already know the search term "pool hopping"...

We really don't need another thread coming up with this, can't you just start a "I BOUGHT 5 6990 GPUS, WHERE'S MY FREE MONEY?!" thread like every other kiddie here? Tongue

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
PcChip

Activity: 418
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:05:04 PM

Yes.

There was a research paper done by one of the miners here that showed how you would make more BTC by pool hopping at exactly [some percentage here] amount of work done on that particular block.  That's why some pools use decaying share worth.  I hate the pools that do that.  Not because I pool hop, but because if my internet disconnects, or one of my miners scattered throughout my house hangs, I lose out.

Legacy signature from 2011: 
All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
supa (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:22:29 PM

Use google or the search function here, you already know the search term "pool hopping"...

We really don't need another thread coming up with this, can't you just start a "I BOUGHT 5 6990 GPUS, WHERE'S MY FREE MONEY?!" thread like every other kiddie here? Tongue

Smiley

Already did the good ol' "site:forum.bitcoin.org pool hopping" thing.  None of the threads I read were definitive - just more "I think it's bad" or "that's cheating."  There's some math in a few threads that doesn't seem to work out...

Most of these topics are ancient in internet-years (since February) and many of the pools seem to have implemented all sorts of new fangled stuff.  As I mentioned, I got a more consistent payout with no more/less work, but I certainly didn't make a lot (and even made less when pools got "lucky").

If it's acceptable, then there's no reason I shouldn't be able to release a proxy that round-robin's getwork requests.  It could be a simple solution to the nonsense "51%!!!111@" threads but I don't want to get accused of "cheating my moneyz!"
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:34:25 PM

There would be no better way to finally eliminate pool hopping than releasing an easy-to-use open source pool hopping software, so every pool that still uses proportional payout will be abused like there's no tomorrow.

I can give you tipps on an easy possible implementation if you want to, you would just need twisted (a python framework), python and a internet connection... Also probably a database to store the one value that cannot easily be extracted live: Current total pool hash rates (though it might be very well possible to calculate a good enough estimated number on larger pools with >100 blocks solved)

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
tehc0w

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:42:32 AM

Smiley

Already did the good ol' "site:forum.bitcoin.org pool hopping" thing.  None of the threads I read were definitive - just more "I think it's bad" or "that's cheating."  There's some math in a few threads that doesn't seem to work out...

Most of these topics are ancient in internet-years (since February) and many of the pools seem to have implemented all sorts of new fangled stuff.  As I mentioned, I got a more consistent payout with no more/less work, but I certainly didn't make a lot (and even made less when pools got "lucky").

If it's acceptable, then there's no reason I shouldn't be able to release a proxy that round-robin's getwork requests.  It could be a simple solution to the nonsense "51%!!!111@" threads but I don't want to get accused of "cheating my moneyz!"

I've been trying to figure out what pool hopping is myself. Couldn't find some definition in the forums or on google
zapeta

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 07:44:06 PM

The original pool hopping thread:  https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=3165.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: