Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:41:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Curious to everyone's opinion.
Stay the same - 8 (20.5%)
2mB - 6 (15.4%)
8mB - 5 (12.8%)
8mB + doubling every 2 years - 10 (25.6%)
Miners choose / dynamic. - 10 (25.6%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocksize  (Read 2128 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 07:31:17 PM

Every single proposal that has been made has issues and every single proposal that is going to be made in the future will have it's own issues as well. Nothing is perfect, and we can't just rush into unexplored territory.

Exactly.

The choice is not to pick the "perfect" solution, it is to pick the best compromise. In practice, that means picking the most tolerable imperfection, as perfection is not an available option. Or, at least not so far.

this can be translated in the fact that what will be the best choice for us, will be the perfect choice that was needed

personally i'm with the dynamic block if it can be implemented well

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 08:34:01 PM

Increase it! 2MB, 4MB whatever. But decentralisation must be retained! Big blocks and centralization will make us really vulnerable and therefore is strictly to avoid!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2015, 08:48:02 PM

What about BIP 103? What about "dont care as long as O(1) propagation + LN is done" and a multitude of other options?

I dont think you can put all possible options in a vote.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 09:45:55 PM

Yes, it's been awhile since we had one of these block size increase pools! Smiley

I say 8MB and keep it there for a while until we don't see the consequences, etc! Even Chinese miners have said yes to 8MB and they were making the most problems about this increase!
danielW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 10:55:37 PM

Voted 2mb. Maybe more down the line.
Wary

Who's there?

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:13:40 PM

2 Mb. Just because it's politically easier to implement. It'll buy us some time.
Time to implement something different, like lightning.

My favorite one - the solution that was suggested at the conference: introduce the second type of blocks that contain transactions only and issued 60 times more often, every 10 seconds or so. Those blocks are not for determining winner of reward, so they won't cause orphan problems. This solution will give us 60 times more space for transactions and reduce confirmation time 60-fold!  I think it is the perfect solution, even better than lightning, since it's not hub-based.

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:24:19 PM

1 MB forever

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:24:57 PM

My favorite one - the solution that was suggested at the conference: introduce the second type of blocks that contain transactions only and issued 60 times more often, every 10 seconds or so. Those blocks are not for determining winner of reward, so they won't cause orphan problems. This solution will give us 60 times more space for transactions and reduce confirmation time 60-fold!  I think it is the perfect solution, even better than lightning, since it's not hub-based.

That's a really good idea, I wonder why that hasn't been attracting more attention? That's the first time I've heard that idea, I kind of like it.

Vires in numeris
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:36:59 PM

I think it should be dynamic, or even just for a week, we try our am the options, and miners vote on a specific option. That way we'll get the best option possible.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:12:48 AM

2 Mb. Just because it's politically easier to implement. It'll buy us some time.
Time to implement something different, like lightning.

This sounds like a wise plan.
cohnhead

Activity: 840

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:34:11 AM

is my understanding correct...is the controversy over block larger size...going from 1mb to 2mb or 8mb or even higher... due to the fact that it would be more costly to run full nodes...being that 2mb is more costly to purchase than 1 mb?
Wary

Who's there?

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 10:25:20 AM

That's a really good idea, I wonder why that hasn't been attracting more attention? That's the first time I've heard that idea, I kind of like it.
I wonder myself  Huh  Here is the link to the paper. https://scalingbitcoin.org/montreal2015/presentations/Day1/8-Ittay-eyal-testbed-for-bitcoin-scaling.pdf
The description is in the second half, it's called Bitcoin-NG.
I've found some articles about it http://hackingdistributed.com/2015/10/14/bitcoin-ng/, https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bitcoin-ng-or-how-cornell-researchers-think-a-radical-redesign-can-solve-bitcoin-s-scaling-issues-1447108649
And here is the discussion or Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3or365/bitcoinng_proposal_for_a_secure_faster_better/

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 12:05:07 PM

Thanks Wary, I'm going to take a look at that info.

Vires in numeris
krach
Legendary

Activity: 1851
Merit: 1020

Get Rekt

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 12:17:43 PM

Im in favor of BIP 105 or something similar.

[color=#00██ ████ ████

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀

● OVER 1000000000 REKT PLEBS
● DAILY PARLAYS, ACCAS, SINGLES AND BOASTING
● BONUS HUNTING & VIP PICKS
● 24/7 LIVE TROLL BOX
● SCAM TOUTS ROASTED LIVE

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 12:32:10 PM

I did not vote because I feel that any scaling strategy should involve more that one dimension, i.e. the blocksize cannot be determined on its own in isolation of everything else.

It was super annoying to see big block pushers who kept screaming "Blocksize must go up because Bitcoin needs to scale!" whereas six months ago they probably had no experience and no clue as to what scaling a distributed system involves. They seem to have shut up a bit now.
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:43:13 PM

It's been awhile since blocksize has been talked about.. curious to everyones opinion.

everyone's opinion is still the same.

bitcoin will fail if we increase blocksize
and
bitcoin will fail if we dont increase blocksize.   

i can't say i am glad to see this post.  blocksize debate is getting tired.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:45:50 PM

It's been awhile since blocksize has been talked about.. curious to everyones opinion.

and

Those non mining blocks for transactions sounds very promising.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:48:01 PM

and

Wrong, Bitcoin will never fail, universe will collapse before it fails. Lightning Network will allow to payments to scale globally, without the need of an insane block size will would surely result in corporations running nodes instead of random people all over the planet. Don't be a pessimist, we are making solid progress.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 01:58:11 PM

and

You're the one who's wrong and who isn't reading anything. If we increase with the right proposal Bitcoin will not fail. If we do not do anything Bitcoin will also not fail. Bitcoin has already succeeded.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:59:10 PM

I did not vote because I feel that any scaling strategy should involve more that one dimension, i.e. the blocksize cannot be determined on its own in isolation of everything else.

It was super annoying to see big block pushers who kept screaming "Blocksize must go up because Bitcoin needs to scale!" whereas six months ago they probably had no experience and no clue as to what scaling a distributed system involves. They seem to have shut up a bit now.

That's sounding super well-rounded to me, +1

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: