Print  
Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 633 times)
kingcolex (OP)

Activity: 254
Merit: 1258

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 08:52:36 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2023, 01:16:37 AM by kingcolex

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 08:59:23 PM

Nah, GPUs have thousands of streaming processors and are better suited for hashing except for maybe a couple of algos.

And I'd imagine this thing will cost a fortune compared to GPUs.

Not your keys, not your coins!
burnbabyburn71

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 09:33:52 PM

Nah, GPUs have thousands of streaming processors and are better suited for hashing except for maybe a couple of algos.

Like I was saying that server equipment is cheap after a couple years, just look at the prices of used xeon processors that are just a couple years old but you're right gpus will probably still blow these out of the water for MOST algorithms.

Well the Cryptonight algo. comes to mind (Monero, Bytecoin, etc) where the main bottleneck is memory speed (in CPUs it would be the L3 cache, GPUs it would be GDDR5). The memory that the intel PCI card has seems to be around twice as fast as your typical set of GDDR5
Knights Landing ... providing up to 500GB/sec of memory bandwidth
in which case depending on the price of the thing, it should be more effective at mining this algo than GPUs. When compared to full CPUs it's a different story because GDDR5 memory is slower than the CPU L3 cache and doesn't have as good random access speed.

However if you make a miner for this intel PCI card you could have a bunch of concurrent instances of the miner which sounds like it would crush through (Plenty of cores to have multiple instances of the miner + memory twice as fast as your typical GPU). No way of telling until someone tests it though. Also someone needs to make a miner for the thing before anything

Web Dev | General Graphics Design | Windows/Linux Wallet Compiles | Certified member of the BCs
smolen

Activity: 524
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 02:32:22 AM

Knights Landing: 72 cores x 512 bit  x 1 to 3 operation per tick(?) x 1 GHz(?) = 37 to 110 terabitop/s
R280x: 2048 cores x 32 bit x 1 op x ~1GHz = 66 terabitop/s

Of course I gave you bad advice. Good one is way out of your price range.
romjpn

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 02:57:10 AM

Like I was saying that server equipment is cheap after a couple years, just look at the prices of used xeon processors that are just a couple years old but you're right gpus will probably still blow these out of the water for MOST algorithms.

Indeed. I buy used, workstation grade (with Xeon processors) computers for home. Xeon CPU are very expensive at first, but then the price fall very quickly to the point that it becomes cheaper than the consumer grade cpu equivalent.
Still using a DELL workstation with a Xeon W3540, it still have some decent power for playing video games.

---~~~***~~~--- http://InvestBitcoinGuide.com ---~~~***~~~---
Invest your bitcoins/altcoins into legit businesses. Get solid returns !
We hate scams and ponzis !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: