Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:25:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: And the Black Belt in Bitcoin News Plagiarism Goes To Cointelegraph -NewsBTC  (Read 741 times)
tokeweed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 10:41:28 PM

Cointelegraph’s plagiarism pro, claims that she “emailed” Ghost Security Group and surprisingly enough, she asked them one of the questions I asked them throughout my interview, and she got the same answer. Well, if she has really reached out for them, then why didn’t with come up with a unique question?

I tend to know someone personally who is a member of the Ghost Security Group, because I am planning on volunteering to work with them and he told me that the group prefers not to make any media appearance and that no one from Cointelegraph has interviewed any member of the group.

Cointelegraph’s Past History of Plagiarism:

It is not the first time that Cointelegraph plagiarizes one of NewsBTC’s articles, as last February they copied a research piece that we published that discussed quantitative easing and how it can affect cryptocurrencies.

Here is NewsBTC’s original article back then:

http://newsbtc.com/2015/02/25/quantitative-easing-bitcoin/

Here is the copied article by George Samman on Cointelegraph:

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113576/why-the-european-central-bank-is-paving-the-way-for-cryptocurrencies-op-ed

Last March, I talked to Allen, their editor-in-chief back then, and he added a link to my article back then after apologizing. However, Cointelegraph didn’t even bother to reply to my email regarding the recent plagiarism incident which reflects CT’s new policy; “We will plagiarize and we won’t give a damn about anyone!”.

Plagiarism is a plaque that is infesting the blogosphere and to me, plagiarizing an article is just like “pocket-picking”; a crime that has to be stopped by all means.

Newsbtc holds its rights to file a complaint against Cointelegraph to Google News and other search engine services.

http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/11/17/and-the-black-belt-in-bitcoin-news-plagiarism-goes-to-cointelegraph/

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:14:29 PM

There's a similar discussion surrounding comedians and their jokes being stolen on Twitter
They call it aggregating. As long as people can get paid for traffic they are going to steal click bait worthy stuff.
That she rewrites the article to place herself in it is pretty egregious tho.
Not sure what recourse you have or if it would be worth it to lawyer up, but spread the news. Hell, this could make an interesting btc related news item that you could disseminate across the network 😜
readysalted89

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:24:47 PM

If it's true then newsbtc could hire a lawyer to sue cointelegraph for breach of copyright. It would probably cost $1000 to start suing but if they won they could get cointelegraph to pay the fees. Besides the compensation it could be worth bothering to stop cointelegraph doing it again. I doubt they will stop unless forced to.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:25:17 PM

forgetting bitcoin media for a second... lets think about mainstream media, who do it all the time..

these days once a story is made public. then its free to use.. there is no licence that says no one can repeat a word anyone publicizes.

take many presidential Q&A.. if CNN done an interview, where a CNN reporter was doing the questioning.. does that mean that other media outlets cannot use that publicly available footage?

i only say this, because in the liberal world of freedom of speach, decentralised loving culture.. you want to sue someone for using your publicly available interview..

i know you want the glory of bringing the information you gathered to the world, i fully accept that your hard work should count. but maybe you should concentrate on methods of getting your recognition and glory when you print your information. because no matter what. once its in the public domain, others will use it, others will atleast read it and others will talk about it.

even CNN doesnt sue other media outlets for using their footage.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
readysalted89

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:32:27 PM

forgetting bitcoin media for a second... lets think about mainstream media, who do it all the time..

these days once a story is made public. then its free to use.. there is no licence that says no one can repeat a word anyone publicizes.

take many presidential Q&A.. if CNN done an interview, where a CNN reporter was doing the questioning.. does that mean that other media outlets cannot use that publicly available footage?

i only say this, because in the liberal world of freedom of speach, decentralised loving culture.. you want to sue someone for using your publicly available interview..

i know you want the glory of bringing the information you gathered to the world, i fully accept that your hard work should count. but maybe you should concentrate on methods of getting your recognition and glory when you print your information. because no matter what. once its in the public domain, others will use it, others will atleast read it and others will talk about it.

The email needed permission from the author for publication. If cointelegraph never received an email, but copied newsbtc's email then either newsbtc could sue, or Ghost Security Group could sue if the email was copied word for word. I don't think you can publish an email from someone without their explicit permission, and I don't think you can publicly claim you received an email from someone that you didn't receive.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:43:38 PM

Even under ultra-totalitarianism, human ingenuity would find a way to circumvent "copyright".

There is no such thing as copyright, there are only people who assault and steal from mimics.

Vires in numeris
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:48:15 PM

The email needed permission from the author for publication. If cointelegraph never received an email, but copied newsbtc's email then either newsbtc could sue, or Ghost Security Group could sue if the email was copied word for word. I don't think you can publish an email from someone without their explicit permission, and I don't think you can publicly claim you received an email from someone that you didn't receive.

from what this topic suggests.. that email was already in public domain. thus the OP(newsbtc) got the permission to make the mail public.. thus now anyone can ready, comment, quote, use it.

its much like political memo's and emails. if hilary clinton emailed obama.. and hilary didnt give permission to obama to publicize it, she could sue obama if she found out he did give it out to the public. but once in the public she cant sue media outlets..

for instance if hilary clinton released all of her email she sent, to CNN.. knowing the world would see it.. she cant then sue the world..

once they are public any media station can quote them.

Ghost security group knew their email was going to be released to the public, as they knew newsbtc would do so.. so now Ghost SG can't sue the public..

if people could sue just for quoting media.. then i guess newsbtc should sue bitcointalk for quoting a few of newsbtc's stories

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Qhonglian

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:50:32 PM

Cointelegraph’s plagiarism pro, claims that she “emailed” Ghost Security Group and surprisingly enough, she asked them one of the questions I asked them throughout my interview, and she got the same answer. Well, if she has really reached out for them, then why didn’t with come up with a unique question?

I tend to know someone personally who is a member of the Ghost Security Group, because I am planning on volunteering to work with them and he told me that the group prefers not to make any media appearance and that no one from Cointelegraph has interviewed any member of the group.

It is not the first time that Cointelegraph plagiarizes one of NewsBTC’s articles, as last February they copied a research piece that we published that discussed quantitative easing and how it can affect cryptocurrencies.

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113576/why-the-european-central-bank-is-paving-the-way-for-cryptocurrencies-op-ed

Last March, I talked to Allen, their editor-in-chief back then, and he added a link to my article back then after apologizing. However, Cointelegraph didn’t even bother to reply to my email regarding the recent plagiarism incident which reflects CT’s new policy; “We will plagiarize and we won’t give a damn about anyone!”.

Plagiarism is a plaque that is infesting the blogosphere and to me, plagiarizing an article is just like “pocket-picking”; a crime that has to be stopped by all means.

Newsbtc holds its rights to file a complaint against Cointelegraph to Google News and other search engine services.

http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/11/17/and-the-black-belt-in-bitcoin-news-plagiarism-goes-to-cointelegraph/

very beatiful!
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:52:30 PM

for instance if hilary clinton released all of her email she sent to the public CNN.. knowing the world would see it.. she cant then sue the world..

Exactly.

That's surprising almost beyond belief.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 11:55:41 PM

for instance if hilary clinton released all of her email she sent to the public CNN.. knowing the world would see it.. she cant then sue the world..

Exactly.

"Information is free" - Richard Stallman

Vires in numeris
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 12:05:53 AM

Exactly.

That's surprising almost beyond belief.

if media could sue..
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks/
the young turks would be sued every week.

infact i think that CNN would be sued by many other media stations and political offices

fhw

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 12:13:27 AM

very much agree with                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 12:27:07 AM

Exactly.

I believe all they are asking is that they're cited as reference of the interview. Information is free but it is our duty to give due credit to those who did the hard work. Using and quoting properly is clearly not the same as using and claiming it as your own. Shame on them.

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 12:32:11 AM

Exactly.

I believe all they are asking is that they're cited as reference of the interview. Information is free but it is our duty to give due credit to those who did the hard work. Using and quoting properly is clearly not the same as using and claiming it as your own. Shame on them.

and when has CNN every credited bitcointalk, satoshi, as their source for bitcoin media stories??

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 12:48:11 AM

Exactly.

I agree.

I was being very Stallman-esque when I said it: "free" as in liberty, not as in "free lunch".

There's another good quote that seems apt: "Give everything away for free, it will be returned to you in kind". Forgot who said that one though.

Vires in numeris
CT:Levi

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:08:51 PM

Dear All, nice to meet you.
We'd like to thank NEWS BTC for advertising our bitcoin media outlet: http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/11/17/and-the-black-belt-in-bitcoin-news-plagiarism-goes-to-cointelegraph/ We are happy to announce that we have done our personal investigation before writing our article: http://cointelegraph.com/news/115657/ghost-security-group-to-track-isis-attackers-in-paris
This is a first hands information and you can see a copy of our exclusive conversation with GSG here: http://cointelegraph.com/storage/uploads/view/8435ce118f3b173ec056830cf7503805.jpg
I thank the user Brunoxxx for his comment. I do agree with his position about the absence of journalism in crypto community. We have fired a team of bloggers, that were working in Cointelegraph before. Now we are building a new team of professional journalists. We don't believe press-releases. We are "searching" for new points of view, by asking experts to make analysis about every issue we cover in our articles.
I'd like to thank NEWS BTC and it's Chief for a brilliant advertising of Cointelegraph.com.
Anyone can contact me via FB (georgegor007).
We are building new independent media now. And you are welcomed to help.
George Gor, Editor-in-Chief, Cointelegraph.com
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:47:26 PM

Cryptocurrency Media platforms:

If you've not already considered it, then these attribution issues can be solved with blockchain technology. Some kind of "authorship" or "attribution" main or side chain could be used to store signed hashes of any type of creative content. This would serve to prove who published which work, and perhaps most importantly when, all to a similar standard of veracity as that which proves bitcoin ownership.

Vires in numeris
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 03:23:16 PM

cointelegraph shamelessly advertises for shitty altcoins and for that reason, F them.

maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 03:27:29 PM

There are copies/plagiarism everywhere around us. Movies, tv series, etc. It is just some people are more clever than others when hidding its sources.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 03:55:14 PM

There are copies/plagiarism everywhere around us. Movies, tv series, etc. It is just some people are more clever than others when hidding its sources.

"Talent borrows, genius steals"

That was from a classical composer, forgotten which one. Beethoven?  Grin

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: