Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 05:33:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion regarding "newbie forumula".  (Read 685 times)
malefactor (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 11:43:16 AM

In short, I've been on this forum for ~2 years as a registered user, and read silently long before that.  I mainly sit and read, read, read.  Often, logged out.  I have about 14 posts, sporadically across the entire time period.

So this all bit me yesterday when someone I reached out to said "ewww, no, you're a newbie, go away".  I figured I had 1-2 posts, because I rarely am inclined to speak up.  But to my surprise, I have 14... and I've been registered for 2 years.. WTF?  I don't care about badges and stupid labels, so this "newbie" thing was not something I ever looked at.  It was a surprise to me that the system itself would try to scare off anyone I talk to via private message.

So I spend time to dig and find the formula, and it's all based on lowest common denominator of browsing-while-logged-in and posts.  You might consider factoring in years and frequency of posts?  Or using cookies more aggressively the way advertising companies do?  

Frankly, most of the time I spent browsing while logged out was DELIBERATE as a means of protecting the site itself from XSS attacks.  I didn't realize this would be held against me.  If I were properly credited for all the time I've spent on this system, I'd be one of the top ranks, not the lowest.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 12:35:25 PM

No, even though you have lurked here for many years, you are not actively participating in the community. You have posted very little and have not been very active in contributing to discussions here. The point of activity and the ranks is to show how active the user has been in posting and contributing discussions to the forum. You are not contributing if you are only reading, that is called leeching since you are only taking in information and not giving back out any.

Regarding ranking up based on time browsing and IP, again see above. Also, using cookies for that or logging ips will not work since people don't have static ips and multiple people will many times be using the same IP address. That just will not work.

minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 01:50:40 PM

If you don't want to be a newbie, you will have to post and wait. There is no way to get around this and that isn't going to change.

If the person refuses to talk to you simply because you are newbie, they probably aren't worth talking to. The PM warning there is to stop impersonation accounts from scamming unknowing members, as that sort of thing has happened in the past. Account selling is pretty prevalent on this forum, as you may or may not know, and if you could simply rank up an account by having it idle or logged in for a long time it would be extremely easy for scammers to get their hands on accounts with few posts but are still 'Hero' or whatever.

Finally, as I believe was said above, your rank doesn't go off how long you've been logged in, it goes off of your activity. You can get a maximum of 14 activity every two weeks by simply posting 14 times. You can then see what rank each activity is Here.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 10:26:13 AM

I have just checked your potential activity and got the report here: http://www.bitcoinrates.in/bitcointalk/getactivity.php?token=1447928485e5ec657549
It said that you have 140 potential activity points, which means you can reach that amount of activity (i.e. Full Member rank) if you make 126 more posts (you have 14 posts now). However after your activity reached the limit then it won't increase again until another 2 week period start (a list of the periods is here).
However when you are making posts, please remember that you can't spam, or you'll easily be banned by moderators here.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 02:19:59 PM

I have just checked your potential activity and got the report here: http://www.bitcoinrates.in/bitcointalk/getactivity.php?token=1447928485e5ec657549
It said that you have 140 potential activity points, which means you can reach that amount of activity (i.e. Full Member rank) if you make 126 more posts (you have 14 posts now). However after your activity reached the limit then it won't increase again until another 2 week period start (a list of the periods is here).
However when you are making posts, please remember that you can't spam, or you'll easily be banned by moderators here.

He has been here for 2 years, he knows about that already. I think his idea is kind of bad. Your account could gain other type of points instead of activity points but in the end this is a forum and you are supposed to post in a forum not to just read and expect to gain something from it.
malefactor (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:08:59 AM

Actually, I don't/didn't know that.  I read technical stuff, and I'm not really interested in behind the scenes formulas of a web forum.  I don't post when I have nothing of value to say.  If that makes me a "newbie" so be it.  I value quality over quantity.

It was just intended as a suggestion, because the documentation of the formula I found seemed to equally weight time on forum and posts.  Guess not.
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:41:05 PM

Actually, I don't/didn't know that.  I read technical stuff, and I'm not really interested in behind the scenes formulas of a web forum.  I don't post when I have nothing of value to say.  If that makes me a "newbie" so be it.  I value quality over quantity.

It was just intended as a suggestion, because the documentation of the formula I found seemed to equally weight time on forum and posts.  Guess not.

Then someone could create 1.000 accounts, leave them there and come back in 1 year to have them all ranked up, that would be stupid. As I said this is a forum, you are supposed to participate in a forum. Quality over quantity it's good but 2 years for 10 posts it's just well..
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 09:03:43 PM

Actually, I don't/didn't know that.  I read technical stuff, and I'm not really interested in behind the scenes formulas of a web forum.  I don't post when I have nothing of value to say.  If that makes me a "newbie" so be it.  I value quality over quantity.

It was just intended as a suggestion, because the documentation of the formula I found seemed to equally weight time on forum and posts.  Guess not.

If you are referring to activity = min(time * 14, posts), time does not mean time. "Time" means the amount of 2-week periods in which you have posted in, and it chooses the minimum of these anyway. And that's valid. If browsing gave you activity, then great, we've just given a way for bots to easily become Legendary members. If you're suggesting something else...I'm not sure what it is.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: