Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:55:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Db::open: Invalid argument bitcoin in Runaway exception  (Read 1237 times)
danster82 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 12:21:24 PM

I go to open bitcoin today and get this message  "Db::open: Invalid argument        bitcoin in Runaway exception"

The client doesnt open at all, The wallet.dat does not seem to be there either...?

Suggestion was to run using -detachdb option, but I dont know what that means or how to do it.

Can anyone help.

Thanks
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:48:19 PM

I go to open bitcoin today and get this message  "Db::open: Invalid argument        bitcoin in Runaway exception"

The client doesnt open at all, The wallet.dat does not seem to be there either...?

Suggestion was to run using -detachdb option, but I dont know what that means or how to do it.

Can anyone help.

Your debug.log will help give more of a clue as to which file it is getting that error on.

You can run -detachdb during startup using the command line.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Command-line_arguments

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

danster82 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 02:15:34 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2012, 02:26:01 PM by danster82

I go to open bitcoin today and get this message  "Db::open: Invalid argument        bitcoin in Runaway exception"

Can anyone help.

Your debug.log will help give more of a clue as to which file it is getting that error on.

You can run -detachdb during startup using the command line.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Command-line_arguments

When running options is it just a case of right clicking the shortcut in win7 and changing the excute line to add -detachdb at the end? Ive tried that with no results.

Ive confused myself here by placing the bitcoin directory into a truecrypt mount thinking that was the directory but is it correct to say bitcoin will always use the windows application data folder? which does contain the wallet.dat, so I wasnt actually protecting anything, lol.

I have the debug.log is it safe to publish it? Im not very technical savey.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:08:23 PM

When running options is it just a case of right clicking the shortcut in win7 and changing the excute line to add -detachdb at the end? Ive tried that with no results.

You can run using the command line first.  You don't need to run -detachdb more than once so run it from the command prompt.

Ive confused myself here by placing the bitcoin directory into a truecrypt mount thinking that was the directory

You can start the client with the -datadir= 
e.g.,
  bitcoin-qt -detachdb -datadir="D:\btcencrypted"

I have the debug.log is it safe to publish it? Im not very technical savey.

It doesn't reveal any private keys.  It does reveal IP addresses, etc., so if that's sensitive, try to just copy the couple lines relevant to the error.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █