Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:28:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: have any of you even read the VNL whitepaper.... groundbreaking!!!  (Read 1537 times)
bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 06:22:21 AM

Sorry that last post was off topic, though it was in reply to a reply of an off topic reply.

Lol just so I don't remain off topic, does anyone have any reason to believe that having random ports may cause a problem? Or was that just the typical FUD response?

If your not actively using the technology behind your crypto investment,

IT IS A SCAM!!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bigfryguy (OP)

Activity: 416
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:17:51 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2015, 01:27:59 AM by bigfryguy

two new develpments this week...  I know I should leave this to the announcement thread, but with all the VNL scam bashing from the XMR crew, I just wanted to to add.   
Although cryptonote in itself is a fantastic add on to the Darknet, without a platform that is constantly evolving with the developments in the altcoin world, any one tech will be left obsolete.

1)

Wallet version 0.4.0 RC2 released
(Source: https://talk.vanillacoin.net/topic/260/version-0-4-0-rc2-release)

Changes:
Reduced memory usage.
Improved Berkley Database Performance.
Ability to dump all private keys and addresses to a CSV (comma separated value) file through RPC "dumpwallet".
ZeroTime locked transactions now prefer on-chain inputs over off-chain inputs.
Now uses multiple threads for processing asynchronous IO.
Reduced voting traffic for both Node Incentives and ZeroTime.
Incentive collateral is now kept in a reserve balance so as not to be included in Proof-of-Stake.
Automatic Rotating Wallet Backups at startup (no more than every 24 hours).
Coin Auto-Denomination through RPC "walletdenominate".
Improved wallet handling of keypool size changes.
Performance improvements
Bug Fixes

Denominated transaction support serves one purpose, to take an amount of coins and split them given pre-defined amounts. This can be useful for splitting coins for staking or potentially for performing (anonymous) transaction blending.

An example of a denominated transaction is as follows: https://blockchain.vanillacoin.net/tx/1bbbdaf1b13482ae3012a02d214d801140ce7f0f0dfba1d85e240307b7caa111

The following builds will be updated as we move forward:

http://vanillacoin.net/downloads/Vanillacoin.0.4.0.rc2_32.zip
http://vanillacoin.net/downloads/Vanillacoin.0.4.0.rc2_64.zip
http://vanillacoin.net/downloads/Vanillacoin.0.4.0.rc2.dmg

Thank you for your support.

2)

Seems we may get encrypted messaging:

https://github.com/john-connor/darkpp/blob/master/include/dark/whisper_message.hpp

https://twitter.com/IGetMadOnTime/status/668892506306793472

patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:13:51 AM

fact:  VNL is using random ports with no noticeable side effects

Noticable being the keyword there. Allthough I'll admit that I don't see any problems with using random ports. I know a few other applications that do that and seem to manage just fine.

fact:  VNL does allow near instant respendable transfer of coins,  while not yet having one double spend accomplished

Thing is, has anyone every tried to double spend ? (I know there was a competition. Still...did anyone actually try?) It's always easy to say noone has done it so it must be secure but that's not really gonna cut it. Either backup claims with math and a proper whitepaper or many people will just not buy into it even if your tech actually works.

fact:  VNL has come through on every one of its promised updates.

Can't argue with that but - as others have pointed out - it doesn't really mean anything. Also are you really telling me that john connor is 100% trustworthy ? Come on !

So my direct response to the title of this thread: Why would anyone bother to read the whitepaper if john connor doesn't bother to write a proper whitepaper that actually backs up any of his claims ?

bigfryguy (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 02:19:25 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2015, 02:34:18 PM by bigfryguy

fact:  VNL is using random ports with no noticeable side effects

Noticable being the keyword there. Allthough I'll admit that I don't see any problems with using random ports. I know a few other applications that do that and seem to manage just fine.

fact:  VNL does allow near instant respendable transfer of coins,  while not yet having one double spend accomplished

Thing is, has anyone every tried to double spend ? (I know there was a competition. Still...did anyone actually try?) It's always easy to say noone has done it so it must be secure but that's not really gonna cut it. Either backup claims with math and a proper whitepaper or many people will just not buy into it even if your tech actually works.

fact:  VNL has come through on every one of its promised updates.

Can't argue with that but - as others have pointed out - it doesn't really mean anything. Also are you really telling me that john connor is 100% trustworthy ? Come on !

So my direct response to the title of this thread: Why would anyone bother to read the whitepaper if john connor doesn't bother to write a proper whitepaper that actually backs up any of his claims ?

first off, I hope we both are in agreement over the fact that all cryptoprojects have some level of vulnerability, the question is always how vulnerable, and has anyone figured out how to do it.  do I think that John has created a flawless unbreakable code? no of course not, but poloniex has been running VNL on one confirmation and can be withdrawn pre 1 conf with zerotimelock, they have code reviewers and have a lot to lose if it fails.

secondly can you tell me one altcoin developer that is %100 trustworthy? Come on!!
John just has a track record of coming through with development promises which has been 100 x's better than most developers here.

VNL is still being developed and as such should still be under scrutiny.  thanks for that, but I dont see any reason to believe that john does not have the skill to make it all work.
people should be looking at all altcoins understanding this.  If John can make his promises work, and make things like instant tranfers sound enough that double spending because untenable than I will be thankful that I was able to help the project along any any way I could.

hope that answers your responses

bigfryguy (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 02:58:30 PM

OK so I think I have gotten way off topic on this thread, sorry!!

I will lock the topic and come up with a better one where we can discuss double spending VNL.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: