Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 04:41:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: having trouble getting started with litecoin.  (Read 2624 times)
izzotheschizo (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Mentally ill computer nerd trying to come up.

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:38:32 PM

hello,
         I just invested about $500 between a radeon 5970, antec hcg 750, and corsair 300r case.  I did it all cause I bought into the mining hype.  After I made my purchases, I found some calculator pages, and I now realize that at best I could make about $1.00 a day, after electricity.  Too late to go back now.  I want to do the litecoin, because I believe bitcoin is going to be impossible once it gets halfed.  Not only that, but I also believe bitcoin will depreciate after asics go live.  So far, I followed all of the instructions in Vorksholk's tutorial for windows.   scryptminer just says

[10:13:12] - Miner started. It usually takes a minute until the program starts reporting information. Parameters: --algo scrypt -s 15 --url http://127.0.0.1:9332 --userpass username:password --threads 1 -P

nothing.

and reaper says opencl.dll file missing.

I am not a code wizard by any means.  Nor am I a complete noob when it comes to PCs.  Please be patient with me.

Bitcoin is the opportunity of a lifetime. http://youtu.be/n7m4JSDkIp4
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 04:53:22 PM

"but I also believe bitcoin will depreciate after asics go live."

What are you basing this belief on?

Reward halving means bitcoins become more scarce.  Scarcity usually results in appreciation.

ASICs will make GPU mining impossible, yes, but ASIC mining will still be viable. It's still wild speculation on what impact the introduction of ASICs will have on the valuation of BTC. There are dozens of threads on the subject.

Just curious how you came to the conclusion you did...

izzotheschizo (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Mentally ill computer nerd trying to come up.

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:33:22 PM

just a wild guess.  but thank you for setting me straight. 

After having already blown $500, Im a little hesitant to invest any more right now. 

So do you think I'll have better luck, getting up and running for bitcoin?  I read the reward per block is going to be halved (to 25) really soon.  Id be spending more money on electricity than what I'll make.... right?

Bitcoin is the opportunity of a lifetime. http://youtu.be/n7m4JSDkIp4
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 05:49:29 PM

if you don't pay anything for electricity, then continue GPU mining until ASICs drop onto the network. Every bit-penny you earn is a good bit-penny. If you're making a dollar a day right now, you should make about $0.50 a day until ASICs hit. Profit is profit...

But, back to your original question. I had no luck getting Litecoin mining going either. So i kinda gave up on it. Maybe when I get my Jalapenos for BTC mining, I'll take another look at LTC mining with the GPU.

mad_matt

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:08:01 AM

if you don't pay anything for electricity, then continue GPU mining until ASICs drop onto the network. Every bit-penny you earn is a good bit-penny. If you're making a dollar a day right now, you should make about $0.50 a day until ASICs hit. Profit is profit...

it is interesting just how many people came into bitcoin mining, happy to make 'miniscule' profits, and the more others encourage people to stick in it for a few cents per day, essentially adds to the difficulty and makes it even less profitable for everyone.

Odds are, if the op has credit card debt at a high interest rate, and spent money on his rig, that could have otherwise gone to paying off the credit card, then you need to factor in the high interest rate as part of the cost. Keeping in mind the power bill is rising, the difficulty is increasing (and therefore earnings on low hash rate machines will drop significantly when (or if) bfl's get delivered), now more then ever is the time to reconsider if mining is really for you.

If i have the chance, I would buy a dozen asic avalons. But I know for a fact, that this new hardware that is slowly being released directly means that people with $40k invested in GPU mining hardware will be put out of business, same with everyone else that was advised to go into GPU mining and be happy with "$0.50" a day.
ndr

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:19:12 AM

bitcoin is never an mistake
mad_matt

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:02:42 AM

it is if you lose alot of money
metis

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:06:45 AM

it is if you lose alot of money

And if bitcoin fails people are going to rush to litecoin?   LOL 
kittah

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:19:55 AM

opencl.dll issues usually means you dont have OpenCL installed. Did you install the AMD SDK?

typically this also comes in the catalyst control center bundle on their website. If you did this AFTER running reaper delete your .bin in your reaper folder and run reaper again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: