Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:07:18 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper on variable strength anonymous identity - anyone have a link?  (Read 653 times)
joecascio (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

Semi-retired software developer, tech consultant

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 05:47:13 PM

I read a quite interesting paper a while back, which I've lost the link to, of course, that described methods for creating "strong" cryptographic identities by using the same proof-of-work principles as Bitcoin. Essentially, it eliminates the "sock-puppet" problem with online identity by making a new cryptographically provable identity very expensive to create. That is, having invested time and money in creating such an identity, one would be highly dis-incentivized to abuse it by using it to defraud, or other abuse others.

But since the strength of the identity can be chosen arbitrarily, relatively "weak" identities can be created to do things that don't require long-term identity.

Services wishing to create high value can then require that users wishing to create an account present an identity with a given minimum strength so as to weed out the trolls, hackers and abusers beforehand.

If anyone recalls this paper or any similar, or can suggest some appropriate google search terms, I'd very much appreciate your sending them along. I've tried a bunch of google searches to no avail so far.

Thanks!

Joe Cascio
Python/Django & Android developer
Twitter: @joecascio
joecascio (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

Semi-retired software developer, tech consultant

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 07:59:45 PM

Never mind... Found it! "Anonymous Identity and Trust for Peer-to-Peer Networks"

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tom7/papers/peer.pdf

Joe Cascio
Python/Django & Android developer
Twitter: @joecascio
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: