Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:36:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Honestly, Armory authors suck as developers  (Read 2254 times)
peputa (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 05:31:22 PM

24 hours initialization? Come on? Why the hell? Why can't you just use public bitcoin servers? Why do I have to have 40 GB of junk on my hard drive? Every user is supposed to host this shit at his PC? Why the hell? Do you know what networks and internet are for? And then? "Building databases message forever. No CPU activity, no drive activity. Try to kill it? "Preparing to shutdown" message forever. Come on, guys? Did somebody ever test this? This crap is supposed to manage my money?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 05:42:54 PM

What is a public bitcoin server? I've never heard of one before since Bitcoin doesn't use public servers, or connects to other peers.

Why do you need 40Gb? Well you don't, if you don't want security. The point of having the whole blockchain is to have security so that you don't need to trust anyone else to provide you the right data. You need it to independently verify everything.

As for the rest, about the databases and shutting down, it takes a while because the entire bitcoin blockchain needs to be scanned to build the databases. It only takes a while the first time. Shutting down needs to wait for bitcoin core to close properly do they it does not screw up the blockchain databases.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 05:44:13 PM

24 hours initialization? Come on? Why the hell? Why can't you just use public bitcoin servers? Why do I have to have 40 GB of junk on my hard drive? Every user is supposed to host this shit at his PC? Why the hell? Do you know what networks and internet are for? And then? "Building databases message forever. No CPU activity, no drive activity. Try to kill it? "Preparing to shutdown" message forever. Come on, guys? Did somebody ever test this? This crap is supposed to manage my money?

I don't think you have a clear understanding of how Armory works. Armory runs on top of Bitcoin Core. When you install Bitcoin Core on your computer you also download a full copy of the bitcoin blockchain. You can not use Armory without Bitcoin Core. If you are low on storage space or do not want to run Bitcoin Core Armory is not for you.

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 05:46:31 PM

PEBKAC. (opentoe, is that you?)

Armory works fine. Armory users host their own blockchain for the maximum level of security.

Security <--------|--------> Convenience

Feel free to move the slider as you see fit. It sounds to me like you are more interested in convenience. Here, let me help you: https://blockchain.info/

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
AMVM

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 12:36:45 AM

The Ignorance is real in this one...

Don't bother with Armory my friend I have a product that will fit your needs way better.

It's an app that you only need install 5mb and you're good to go!!!
Your private keys will be secured by my servers so you don't have to worry at all! Quit looking at the wrong places for answers my friend!
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:51:25 PM

Feel free to move the slider as you see fit. It sounds to me like you are more interested in convenience. Here, let me help you: https://blockchain.info/

In spite of OP's tone being unacceptable in a public forum, I still think we should not give that bad advice.  blockchain.info is a disaster waiting to happen - no, it is a disaster happening right now in slow motion.  The number of security issues is incredible.

OP:  Armory is a power-user application, but it is a nasty ressource hog.  The Bitcoin block chain has grown faster than their software has improved.  A very good compromise between convenience and security is Electrum, see electrum.com.  It securely stores your private keys on your computer (or even on an offline computer like Armory does), but uses online servers for the blockchain data.

enthus

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 02:07:36 PM

In spite of OP's tone being unacceptable in a public forum, I still think we should not give that bad advice.  blockchain.info is a disaster waiting to happen - no, it is a disaster happening right now in slow motion.  The number of security issues is incredible.

OP:  Armory is a power-user application, but it is a nasty ressource hog.  The Bitcoin block chain has grown faster than their software has improved.  A very good compromise between convenience and security is Electrum, see electrum.com.  It securely stores your private keys on your computer (or even on an offline computer like Armory does), but uses online servers for the blockchain data.

yes i think that is why he says blockchain is convenience and armory is security on the slider he make, meaning it is not secure
BitcoinBud44

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 03:22:42 AM

Armory authors are amazing and you are wrong.
Simple as that.

✦ ────────  SPOKKZ  ──────── ✦
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
✦ ────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦ Join Pre-Sale
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 06:30:28 PM

Armory works fine. Armory users host their own blockchain for the maximum level of security [and privacy].

opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 09:41:58 PM

PEBKAC. (opentoe, is that you?)

Armory works fine. Armory users host their own blockchain for the maximum level of security.

What the heck are you talking about?

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 07:33:42 AM

(opentoe, is that you?)

What the heck are you talking about?

OP's forum etiquette reminded me of you. That's all.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2016, 12:26:50 AM

I would not trust Armory (or any client) connecting to a "public" bitcoin server until such servers use a TLS connection involving a signed x.509 certificate where the fingerprint is verified every use via DANE.

And then I would only trust it if the client connected to multiple servers I could specify and verify the same results from each one.

To the best of my knowledge, no such public bitcoin services like that exists.

Thus for the Armory developers to use a local full-node validation server rather than connecting to a remote one means they rock as developers.

Bitcoin transactions can't be undone, I so I don't want any chance my client has been lied to.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 12:51:10 PM

You are late to the party.
Armory used to use like 4 to 8 GB of RAM. Maybe even more, it's been some time.
I upgraded my RAM to 12GB back then. Only for Armory.
Crazy, eh?

Everything else has already been said in this thread.
I suspect troll anyway.

Ente
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: