Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:48:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: H/w Hosting Directory's "Reputation"  (Read 409 times)
QuiveringGibbage (OP)

Activity: 617
Merit: 543

http://idontALT.com

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 10:39:25 AM

A recent post in the 'H/w Hosting Directory & Reputation' thread queried the reason for positioning USA listings ahead of the rest of the world, which were ordered alphabetically. Thread can be found here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.0

Are you associated with a USA hosting facility?

The reason I ask is the list was originally in alphabetical order which put Asia first but now the list is still in alphabetical order except that USA has been put on the top of the list rather than the bottom where it belongs.

Outward appearance is you put USA at top of list so they are more likely to be seen. Makes this list seem like a sales pitch instead of objective directory. I cannot think of a reason why you would risk your reputation unless you were receiving some benefit from it like owning shares in one of the USA companies or they made you a payment of money to put USA on top.

Is there a legitimate reason why USA suddenly has priority over all other places in the world?

No, I am not associated with an or any USA hosting facility. I've sold all my mining h/w and I no longer mine.

Yes, I have a legitimate reason to position USA ahead of the rest of the world. Efficiency..

I decided to make the changes when I had the chance to clean up the directory (removed outdated, crossed out listings https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.msg12962187#msg12962187). After the clean up, it became evident that the majority of the feedbacks posted on the 'H/w Hosting Directory & Reputation' thread have been for USA listings. This indicated to me that the majority of readers(providing feedbacks) were hosting their h/w with USA listings. The intent of positioning USA listings ahead of the rest of the world was to make it more convenient/efficient for new readers to reach/read the more popular listings.

If I may analogise the ordering of the directory to a list box of countries on an online form you fill out. It is not uncommon to find the more popular selections at the top of an alphabetically order list. It makes it convenient/efficient for the majority of the visitors/readers to find the relating selection amongst a long list of items.

QG.
PS: oh and no, I do not take payments for priority listing.

Bitcoin is at the tippity top of the mountain...but it's really only half way up.. Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 02:31:28 PM

Yes, I have a legitimate reason to position USA ahead of the rest of the world. Efficiency..

Since Canada has cheaper options, shouldn't Canada be first? If that's what you mean by efficiency. That being said - thanks for running this thread for the community, I know I speak for all the hosters when I say we really appreciate it.

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
Kamino

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 12:40:06 PM

If efficiency is the goal it should be sorted by price not geography so putting USA first does not make sense. At least you made me laugh with your change of the name to America, United States like one of those trolls suggested.

PS: My reaction on IRC::freenode#bitcoin-aus
Code:
[15:39:24] <QG> omg.. /me shakes head..

Not sure why getting asked totally legitimate question makes you shake your head, but ok.

Thank you for finally explaining because even though i disagree i appreciate you making a response. I am glad this was not paid advertisement.
biggbox

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2015, 02:23:53 AM

I've explored some miner hosting sites but I was put off by the high "setup fees" (> $100). Assuming I bought my own hardware and shipped it to the facility, I still have to pay for the steep "setup fees". If there are hosting sites with low setup fees, I will seriously consider.

1Cr9iLWm2dSGH8259VQd2wDzpkR63jGVjW
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: