Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:27:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The logistics of re-creating a Minecraft Gambling server.  (Read 750 times)
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 10:00:11 PM

Like BitVegas.

This was attempted once by me and some others and failed horribly because none of us actually knew how to use Bukkit and Java effectively.

Now, I do know how to do that. But I'm a bit worried about the logistics of something like this (well, it's unlikely I'll actually attempt this, I'm more just curious), especially linking a Bitcoin client or API to Minecraft plugins. Withdrawals might even have to be manual.

I could probably code a decent amount of games, too, but that's not the goal here as I'd much prefer something more entertaining like BitVegas' VIP system. Granted I could probably build that, but...

There's the issue of laws, too, though that's something I can deal with myself.

Not everything would be custom coded, it's likely (like I mentioned earlier) that this server would have a Bukkit/Spigot backend for very light use. The majority of it would be custom-coded. Still, I have respect for how BitVegas managed this ridiculously well.

How would you approach this?

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Emerge
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 11:49:38 PM

Like BitVegas.

This was attempted once by me and some others and failed horribly because none of us actually knew how to use Bukkit and Java effectively.

Now, I do know how to do that. But I'm a bit worried about the logistics of something like this (well, it's unlikely I'll actually attempt this, I'm more just curious), especially linking a Bitcoin client or API to Minecraft plugins. Withdrawals might even have to be manual.

I could probably code a decent amount of games, too, but that's not the goal here as I'd much prefer something more entertaining like BitVegas' VIP system. Granted I could probably build that, but...

Not everything would be custom coded, it's likely (like I mentioned earlier) that this server would have a Bukkit/Spigot backend for very light use. The majority of it would be custom-coded. Still, I have respect for how BitVegas managed this ridiculously well.

You can use BlockCypher for faster and less expense on the server, use Bukkit for a user system and world editing then yes the rest is custom coded.
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 10:55:23 AM

Like BitVegas.

You can use BlockCypher for faster and less expense on the server, use Bukkit for a user system and world editing then yes the rest is custom coded.

Hmm, that does indeed seem useful. I wouldn't want to run a server like this myself (probably someone else would handle the running), but I'm definitely interested in how it'd all come together. You could probably even use something like EssentialsEco and make it more subtle, disabling all the other Essentials features (and most Bukkit features) to make it seem more vanilla, and then hook into your custom-coded plugins. I don't think it'd be too hard to cash out either (just make a plugin that hooks into EssentialsEco and sends an API call).

teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 11:06:56 AM

There's a Minecraft bitcoin powered server Bitquest Wink
They managed to link Bitcoin to their Minecraft plugin
Maybe you can ask them for some help how did they do that Roll Eyes
Though, the number of player there isn't much Sad
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 11:10:12 AM

I'm assuming Bitquest is something like MinecraftCC, an impressive feat indeed but the custom coding there seems to just be limited to the actual cashout itself (in Bitquest it looks like the economy is just BTC-based, in MinecraftCC it's BTC per block mined). A Minecraft Gambling server itself has more issues such as security, live cashouts, the actual games themselves, etc.

teddy5145

Activity: 714
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 11:34:42 AM

I'm assuming Bitquest is something like MinecraftCC, an impressive feat indeed but the custom coding there seems to just be limited to the actual cashout itself (in Bitquest it looks like the economy is just BTC-based, in MinecraftCC it's BTC per block mined). A Minecraft Gambling server itself has more issues such as security, live cashouts, the actual games themselves, etc.
You are one of the dev of BTCVegas right ?
I saw an article about your server, too bad it ended up horribly Sad

Anyway, just a suggestion if you want a full security about the fund stored in the server don't do an automated cashout
Learning from the mistakes Bitvegas did when they got hacked Sad
I suggest to do a manual cashout so you can control the fund and see if any players are cheating and getting an unusual number of bitcoin Wink
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2015, 11:58:15 AM

You are one of the dev of BTCVegas right ?
I saw an article about your server, too bad it ended up horribly Sad

No, I wasn't. AFAIK the dev of BTCVegas was either Murderscene or an anomymous person. Definitely wasn't me.

Yeah. That'd be a concern.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: