Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 05:24:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Story of Your Enslavement  (Read 2379 times)
Quantus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 10:36:52 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2012, 07:11:16 PM by Quantus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Xbp6umQT58A#t

A brief history of human enslavement - up to and including your own. It will make you feel like shit but you need to watch it.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 09:15:45 PM

Bmup.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 09:34:14 PM

Bmup.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 09:38:19 PM

We are enslaved by fear and doubt.  It's what makes us human.  We must find love to be free.  We must find the truth.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 11:56:47 AM

Does anyone really watch random Youtube videos posted to forums with no explanation or intoduction?

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 03:46:33 PM

Does anyone really watch random Youtube videos posted to forums with no explanation or intoduction?

Well, Let's find out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

In the future, could we at least get a sentence, answering the "5 Ws"? (Who, What, When, Why, & Where) kthx.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
fivemileshigh

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 03:51:42 PM

"We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. A brief history of human enslavement - up to and including your own. From Freedomain Radio, the largest and most popular philosophy conversation in the world. http://www.freedomainradio.com"

Very very good video.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 04:00:45 PM

"We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. A brief history of human enslavement - up to and including your own. From Freedomain Radio, the largest and most popular philosophy conversation in the world. http://www.freedomainradio.com"

Very very good video.

Perfect.

OP, take notes. You too, Bitware. Wink

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Haole

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:05:45 PM

Great clip!  Stefan Molyneux rocks.

"The future isn't what it used to be." - Yogi Berra
Quantus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 07:01:20 PM

A wise man once said.

"What is the mark of liberation? No longer being ashamed in front of oneself."

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
stochastic

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 06:29:19 AM

A wise man once said.

Nietzche also said
Morality is herd instinct in the individual.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 07:04:04 AM

A wise man once said.

Nietzche also said
Morality is herd instinct in the individual.

Nice. I like that.
memvola

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 08:18:08 AM

A brief history of human enslavement - up to and including your own. It will make you feel like shit but you need to watch it.

The problem is, enslaved humanity is more efficient than any proposed free society. We have to face this fact (which is actually adverted in the video possibly unintentionally) head on.

You can focus the whole power of an enslaved group to a single purpose. That's what enslavement is useful for. The "slave owners" don't accumulate the money and convert it to endless happiness in heaven. They are also ordinary agents with arbitrary purposes. I especially dislike the notion of "selfishness" or "greed" being used to explain motivations of the people on the top (or anyone else for that matter). There are no mystical facts about the agents themselves. The main problem threatening freedom in its most abstract form is not what the purpose is, but that very powerful foci are possible. You can even solve a problem of science by throwing educated people at it.

So, how does a free group, which has vectors pointing all over the place, compete with a group with one single vector?

To me, the answer is, at least at this point, "they can't". What we can do is to live among those people, try to push the system to a point we're comfortable with (free speech, cheap computers, etc.). We can't expect the bulk of the population to ever "wake up". We might inspire people to become like us, but we can't expect to get noticed by the system and not get destroyed.

Am I being too pessimistic?
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 08:27:46 AM

The problem is, enslaved humanity is more efficient than any proposed free society. We have to face this fact (which is actually adverted in the video possibly unintentionally) head on.

You can focus the whole power of an enslaved group to a single purpose. That's what enslavement is useful for. The "slave owners" don't accumulate the money and convert it to endless happiness in heaven. They are also ordinary agents with arbitrary purposes. I especially dislike the notion of "selfishness" or "greed" being used to explain motivations of the people on the top (or anyone else for that matter). There are no mystical facts about the agents themselves. The main problem threatening freedom in its most abstract form is not what the purpose is, but that very powerful foci are possible. You can even solve a problem of science by throwing educated people at it.

So, how does a free group, which has vectors pointing all over the place, compete with a group with one single vector?

To me, the answer is, at least at this point, "they can't". What we can do is to live among those people, try to push the system to a point we're comfortable with (free speech, cheap computers, etc.). We can't expect the bulk of the population to ever "wake up". We might inspire people to become like us, but we can't expect to get noticed by the system and not get destroyed.

No. You are being quite reasonable. Are you sure you are on the right forums?

Just look what happened to land values in the South when the Union won the civil war. Extremely valuable cotton-growing land plummeted in value. You can't pick cotton efficiently without coercive labor arrangements. Same goes for sugar cane.
stochastic

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 08:43:49 AM

You hit the argument to the video head on.  The libertarian/anarchistic moral structure is that it is better to solve problems with nonviolence, yet it is sometimes beneficial and more efficient to solve problems with violence.  The strong try to conquer the weak.  If people can get away with it, they will lie, cheat, and steal.  The weak can assemble to become strong, but then they conquer the new weak players.  This is how the world works.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 04:14:59 PM

You hit the argument to the video head on.  The libertarian/anarchistic moral structure is that it is better to solve problems with nonviolence, yet it is sometimes beneficial and more efficient to solve problems with violence. 

Beneficial to whom?

And the argument isn't nonviolence, it's nonaggression. The nonaggression, or "tit-for-tat" strategy is actually the most effective strategy.

cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:24:28 PM

You hit the argument to the video head on.  The libertarian/anarchistic moral structure is that it is better to solve problems with nonviolence, yet it is sometimes beneficial and more efficient to solve problems with violence.

Beneficial to whom?

And the argument isn't nonviolence, it's nonaggression. The nonaggression, or "tit-for-tat" strategy is actually the most effective strategy.

Beneficial to people living in Singapore who care about getting wealthy above all and don't give a fuck about moral structure of any kind. Convince them that Anarchism will help them get rich and you can convert the whole nation of Arch-Statists in a New York minute. So far they are doing pretty well with Statism of the most extreme kind.

That success makes them a little skeptical of people who criticize the State. After all, how can you exploit third-world peons without State violence. What? You don't want to exploit them. But exploiting them is so profitable.
stochastic

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 06:50:16 PM

You hit the argument to the video head on.  The libertarian/anarchistic moral structure is that it is better to solve problems with nonviolence, yet it is sometimes beneficial and more efficient to solve problems with violence. 

Beneficial to whom?

I tried that game with someone else on the other side of the world while I was in an MRI.  The Alice 20 units and said whatever you give Bob will triple and they give back however much they want.  The more units the user had at the end, the more real money they study would give the participants.

I am sure my MRI showed revenge.  If I gave Bob all 20 units they would either keep it all or give me only a small profit, instead of splitting it evenly.

I did this MRI many times and some people could grasp the concept of what to normally but some people had either a steep learning curve or they would not understand at all.  I feel that tit-for-tat has 2 flaws.

1) Some people take offence to different things.  I wanted a 50/50 split of the profits I sent to Bob, so if I sent 20 units and now Bob has 60 units, they better send me back 30 units or I will retaliate (i.e. not give them any units the next round).  I have seen people get angry with overs from what they feel is offensive as they lost face and that offence could become violent.  Humans are emotional creatures, not rational ones.

2.  If there are no repercussions then there is no fear of reprisals.  Anonymity cannot exist.  If reprisals are OK then some kind of surveillance is required to give proof, otherwise anyone can say, "this person stole my things, I get to steal there things."  It is similar to, "this person is a witch, we should burn them," when in reality the accuser is just angry at the accused.

Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 09:34:49 PM

Neither is such a hypothesis correct, nor did the video ever suggest it either.  The video just said that propaganda-based slavery was more efficient than chattel-based slavery -- that's it.  At no point in time did the video claim that slavery was more efficient than non-slavery.

Please, re-watch it and realize this.
memvola

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:34:08 PM

Neither is such a hypothesis correct, nor did the video ever suggest it either.  The video just said that propaganda-based slavery was more efficient than chattel-based slavery -- that's it.  At no point in time did the video claim that slavery was more efficient than non-slavery.

Please, re-watch it and realize this.

I may have used the wrong verb there. The video suggests that the whole ordeal is, not only to create the best exploitation mechanism, but also to cultivate the most efficient set of subjects to be exploited. The video doesn't say that we should expect a free society to be less (or more) efficient, yet I thought it was almost apparent.

I'm more interested in why you think the hypothesis is incorrect though. Also, is a free society that is trying to compete with the production power and military might of the slave society to even preserve its existence would actually count as free?

You hit the argument to the video head on.  The libertarian/anarchistic moral structure is that it is better to solve problems with nonviolence, yet it is sometimes beneficial and more efficient to solve problems with violence.

Beneficial to whom?

Beneficial to the physically stronger one? I'm sure we could agree that there are some things that are more easily attainable through violence, so the question should be about the magnitude of this benefit.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: