Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:11:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using integrated graphics on MB for Display and GPU for mining  (Read 6359 times)
bruj0 (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 01:32:34 PM

Hi There,

I just got given a 5850 by a very kind person Smiley

I am currently trying to install it for some litecoin mining on my main pc (i7 plus GA-Z77X-UD3H MB) running ubuntu 12.04 I have been using the integrated graphics for display purposes up until now and would like to continue to do so, using the radeon for mining only. Is there some way of setting this up so that this is possible?

I have been using cgminer for mining but when I enable the integrated graphics the radeon card is not recognised and when I enable the pci card the intel displays only a load of strange characters..

Has anyone else tried this / have any ideas what the bios settings should be or do i need to do something like a dummy plug on the radeon etc?

Bruj0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 05:20:50 PM

Almost all motherboards will disable onboard graphics if it recognizes a discrete GPU plugged in.  Your motherboard does have the Lucid Universal MVP Support that does allow you to switch between the i7 and the 5830, but I don't believe it actually allows you to use both at the same time.  I think it just picks with GPU would be best used for the current task and runs with that.  I'd read up on that and see if anyone has figured out how to get both running at the same time, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it.
bruj0 (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 12:10:07 PM

Thanks for the reply, doesnt look like it as you say..... shame about that it would mean i could use my GPU 100% for mining instead of sharing it with a display

Bruj0
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 12:19:03 PM

Almost all motherboards will disable onboard graphics if it recognizes a discrete GPU plugged in.  Your motherboard does have the Lucid Universal MVP Support that does allow you to switch between the i7 and the 5830, but I don't believe it actually allows you to use both at the same time.  I think it just picks with GPU would be best used for the current task and runs with that.  I'd read up on that and see if anyone has figured out how to get both running at the same time, but I'm pretty sure you can't do it.

Is Lucid Logic available for Linux? I had the same problem using a radeon 7990 with Ubuntu 12.04, and Z77 graphics. I think it's got something to do with which gpu is primary and which is secondary. I will check my bios settings and let you know.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
bruj0 (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 02:07:02 PM

Hope rises again! Would be grateful Smiley
stoppots

Activity: 271

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 12:50:08 PM

Check into running your GPU on a 1x slot instead of the 16x slot. I have a couple of boards with onboard intel graphics and neither are utilizing the 16x slot available, instead I have used the 1x slots to run GPU's and using the onboard graphics for display. Any time a card is plugged into 16x it disables the onboard.

Using 1x to 16x extenders will allow you to run your gpus in the 1x slot. Even a 1x to 1x extender notched out will allow 16x card to run as well. Give it a shot it has worked just fine in my situation.
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 01:07:02 AM

Here is my experience with this so far:

windows 7 x64
core i5 3570k
2x radeon 7950
12.8 drivers/latest Intel drivers

1. boot the computer with the monitor connected to the amd cards, get your OC set up
2. start mining, maybe even wait a little while to confirm board temps
3. switch plug to the intel chipset (make sure it is enabled in bios and drivers are installed)
4. after a couple seconds it will initialize and load the windows utility and you will be good to go
5. note that you will have almost no monitoring ability on your AMD cards now, no checking temps, changing clocks/volts etc

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Evan

Activity: 507
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 06:10:32 PM

I am able to do this on Intel 3xxxx i5 and i7 chips both laptop and desktop. ping me in privet for more info.

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:05:27 PM

Check into running your GPU on a 1x slot instead of the 16x slot. I have a couple of boards with onboard intel graphics and neither are utilizing the 16x slot available, instead I have used the 1x slots to run GPU's and using the onboard graphics for display. Any time a card is plugged into 16x it disables the onboard.

Using 1x to 16x extenders will allow you to run your gpus in the 1x slot. Even a 1x to 1x extender notched out will allow 16x card to run as well. Give it a shot it has worked just fine in my situation.

It might be possible to just use electrical tape on the unnecessary (greater than 1x) lanes on the card?  I havent tried it, but it should work by making the card operate in 1x mode, even though it's placed in the 16x slot. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: