Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:44:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got scammed while buying BTC with paypal, what should I do now?  (Read 4592 times)
rebuyente (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 02:45:52 PM

I was pretty stupid yesterday. It was late, and I was tired. But I wanted to get some BTC. So I found a guy on bcchanger that was selling BTC by paypal. We started talking by mail/chat, and he sent me and invoice.

I payed immediatly, but the BTC never arrived. The guy is not answering anymore. And of course, after googling for his email address, I found out he scammed more people as well.

How stupid I am...

Well, what should I do now? Dispute, not authorized operation in paypal? I keep all the emails and logs of the conversation.

Thanks for your help

"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miner-man

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 02:52:13 PM

I'm surprised, The most likely outcome of the situation could of been you becoming the scammer. By no means am I am accusing you of anything however once he sent the bitcoins you could easily charge back the payment and have both the money and bitcoins.

But to answer your question, yes you can cancel the transaction and receive all your money back providing of course you did not send the money to him as a gift, that often causes problems.
rebuyente (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:01:09 PM

I'm surprised, The most likely outcome of the situation could of been you becoming the scammer. By no means am I am accusing you of anything however once he sent the bitcoins you could easily charge back the payment and have both the money and bitcoins.

But to answer your question, yes you can cancel the transaction and receive all your money back providing of course you did not send the money to him as a gift, that often causes problems.

Yes, I can imagine you would suspect about me. I learnt a lesson yesterday, and now I wouldn't trust anyone.

BTW, I didn't send the money to him as a gift. He made an invoice with notes saying that I was not allowed to dispute the transaction, blah,blah. What would be the way to cancel the transaction? I have started both a dispute and a no-authorized payment. But none of them seem to return me the money.

And really, for everyone out there, at least google the guy's email address before making a transaction with someone! I always did it, but not this time. Sad
miner-man

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:12:08 PM

Yes, I can imagine you would suspect about me. I learnt a lesson yesterday, and now I wouldn't trust anyone.

BTW, I didn't send the money to him as a gift. He made an invoice with notes saying that I was not allowed to dispute the transaction, blah,blah. What would be the way to cancel the transaction? I have started both a dispute and a no-authorized payment. But none of them seem to return me the money.

And really, for everyone out there, at least google the guy's email address before making a transaction with someone! I always did it, but not this time. Sad

Easy mistake to make, I've delved into things before without doing my research, its just one of them things you learn from experience.

His note on the invoice does not count for nothing by the way so try not to worry to much about that.

Here is something I copied from paypal

Step 1 - Identify issue
Most disputes are the result of simple misunderstandings. It's best to initiate communication with the seller as soon as you recognise a potential problem.

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre within 45 calendar days of payment. By opening a dispute, you are able to communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you and your seller are unable to agree on a solution, you must escalate the dispute to a PayPal claim within 20 calendar days of the date the dispute was opened. By escalating to a claim, you would be asking PayPal to review the case and decide the outcome.

Step 1 - Open dispute right away
You can open a disputeA buyer asks for a seller's help in resolving an issue with a transaction. in the Resolution CentreLocated in My Account, the PayPal resource for resolving issues between buyers and sellers. to contact a seller directly and resolveA buyer and seller come to an agreement and close the case, or PayPal comes to a decision and closes the case. a problematic transaction. You have 45 days from the payment date to open a dispute. Common reasons for opening a dispute include:

You paid for an item but haven't received it and the seller is uncooperative or nonresponsive.
You received an item that was significantly different from how it was described.
Click the Report a Problem button in the Resolution Centre to open a dispute. Then, provide more information about the issue and post a message to the seller.

Transactions older than 45 days cannot be disputed but should still be reported. PayPal tracks seller performance trends in the event we need to take action to protect other buyers.

Step 2 - Negotiate to resolve dispute
You and the seller have 20 days to resolve the dispute or escalate it to a PayPal claimA buyer or seller asks PayPal to review a dispute and decide the outcome..

The seller reviews your message and replies in the Resolution Centre. This is your opportunity to communicate directly and resolve the issue by exchanging message posts. Communicate clearly and include suggestions about how to resolve the issue, such as through a full or partial refund.

PayPal can view all posted messages in case the dispute is escalated to a claim.

We place a holdRestricting the funds associated with a dispute so they cannot be withdrawn from a buyer’s or seller's PayPal account. on all funds related to the transaction until the dispute is resolved or closed.

Step 3 - Close the dispute or escalate to a claim
You can closeTo end a dispute or claim. A closed dispute cannot be reopened or escalated to a claim. We automatically close disputes after 20 days unless they have been escalated to a PayPal claim. a dispute if you and the seller reach an agreement.

Otherwise, you can escalate the dispute to a PayPal claim within 20 days of opening the dispute. You must wait seven days to allow for postage before escalating a dispute to a PayPal claim for an item not received. We automatically close disputes after 20 days.

Wait until you are 100% satisfied with the resolution before closing a dispute. A closed dispute cannot be reopened or escalated to a PayPal claim.

Select the open dispute in the Resolution Centre and click the desired action at the bottom of the dispute details screen to close or escalate a dispute.

We require more information from you when you escalate a dispute to a PayPal claim.

Step 4 - We investigate and resolve the claim
By escalating a dispute to a claim, you are asking PayPal to review it and decide the outcome.

We try to resolve cases within 30 days, but complex cases may take longer to investigate, deliver a final decision, release any funds and close the case.

You and the seller may be subject to specific deadlines for new information. We use the messages exchanged in the Resolution Centre, along with other details, to determine the outcome.

You can track the progress of your claim and respond to requests for information in the Resolution Centre.

We notify you when we come to a final decisionPayPal's decision resolving and closing the case..

It will take time however you will get your money back and the other idiot will have his paypal account limited.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:13:42 PM

Please post his name and email here.  I think I know who it is. 
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:16:18 PM

I payed immediatly, but the BTC never arrived
Just ask for a chargeback, your money will come back.

That's why usually it's the other way. You send bitcoin and the scammer pay with paypal and then ask for a chargeback.  So he will have both btc and his money.

Scamming someone that pay with paypal is retarded, you just ask for a chargeback and problem solved.  Wink

rebuyente (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:20:39 PM

Thanks for the info Smiley

Now I think I made another mistake, I was googling like hell trying to find a way to recover the money. And after opening the dispute, I also opened a non-authorized use of my paypal account because I read some people recommending to do that. I don't think it was the brightest idea though. Now it's all joined in the same dispute, and the people of paypal will see that I opened first a dispute and then a non-authorized payment. I dont think it will help me  Huh I know myself, and I always act too fast when I freak out... but well whatever, let's see how paypal can help me. I've been her user for more than 7 years, so I hope they take that into account Wink

Thanks again.

Just ask for a chargeback, your money will come back.

That's why usually it's the other way. You send bitcoin and the scammer pay with paypal and then ask for a chargeback.  So he will have both btc and his money.

Scamming someone that pay with paypal is retarded, you just ask for a chargeback and problem solved

I would have asked for a chargeback. But I have no idea on how to do it...
rebuyente (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:24:19 PM

Please post his name and email here.  I think I know who it is. 

Well. The name is D..... H.... and the email is d.....h....@gmail.com
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:26:56 PM

Lol, paypal transactions are always reverted without problems.

rebuyente (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:30:16 PM

Lol, paypal transactions are always reverted without problems.

I hope Tongue I have to say I got into rage/freak out mode. Never been scammed before in the Internet.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:34:24 PM

This is his name:
Dakota Hower
dakotahower@gmail.com

http://www.gofundme.com/TheHitman

This is his mix martial arts coach. 

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000596831784

rebuyente (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:41:57 PM

That one! I didnt want to post his details. It seems there's other people who also tried to get some BTC from him by paypal. I hope they also open a dispute against this fucking scammer.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:43:54 PM

his brother is named Harrison Hower
his email is cooliozazu19@gmail.com

They are both know scammers.

I'll post a few more photos later.
AndrewBUD

Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 03:45:08 PM

Weird that they still have working paypal accounts... 

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
notthepuma

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:58:56 PM

Hower tried to scam me as well.  Luckily I didn't fall for it.  I think your best bet is to just do a chargeback from your credit card.  I'd say you'd win 99% of the time.

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
Dakster

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 06:58:49 PM

Hello everyone all payments have been refunded my computer was stuck with keylogger I lost access to email facebook and paypal and this site and my bitcoin wallet file was stolen
AndrewBUD

Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 07:08:57 PM

Hello everyone all payments have been refunded my computer was stuck with keylogger I lost access to email facebook and paypal and this site and my bitcoin wallet file was stolen

Dude. BCB wouldn't have known who you were unless you did this same thing in the past...

You're a scammer... Get lost.. Get a job....

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 07:23:40 PM

1 )   Go to a coffee shop like Starbucks.
2 )   Take your laptop with you and connect through Wi-Fi. (pick a different coffee shop each time)
3 )   Make new identity on forum.
4 )   Go home.
5 )   Download this: https://www.torproject.org/download/download
6 )   Start Tor.
7 )   Access the account you just made.
8 )   Scam someone.
9 )   Rinse.
10 ) Repeat.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 08:01:29 PM

Derek,

Did you pay rebuyente back yet.  You and your brothers are both scammers.  And Harrison is probably going to go to jail when the police read  the threat of physical violence he made against me in email.  That is a felony.  Look it up.

I don't care where he got this from.  You are both trained mix marshal arts fighters and I am in fear of my life and of the health and well being of my family.

Harrison: What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 08:16:59 PM

Derek,

Did you pay rebuyente back yet.  You and your brothers are both scammers.  And Harrison is probably going to go to jail when the police read  the threat of physical violence he made against me in email.  That is a felony.  Look it up.

I don't care where he got this from.  You are both trained mix marshal arts fighters and I am in fear of my life and of the health and well being of my family.

Harrison: What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Are you saying that to him or is that what he said to you? It's hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: