Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:12:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtacoin Core CPU Usage  (Read 753 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 10:48:28 PM

Have anyone experienced high CPU usage when leaving the Virtacoin Core wallet open for a little while? I've noticed that it takes up 99% of my CPU usage when I look at the Task Manager.  Huh

Here is the screenshot:

Any idea on what this might be or how it could be solved. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.  Wink

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Griffith
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:23:47 AM

Have anyone experienced high CPU usage when leaving the Virtacoin Core wallet open for a little while? I've noticed that it takes up 99% of my CPU usage when I look at the Task Manager.  Huh

Any idea on what this might be or how it could be solved. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.  Wink

gunna ask the few base questions everyone will have when reading this post..

are you currently syncing the blockchain?
are you mining when you see this?

and probably the most important question

what cpu do you have...?
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 11:23:27 AM

Whoa, that can't be safe!
It might just be horrible optimization on the dev's part, making it use all the processing speed at it's disposal to do whatever it wants/needs to.
If the Virtacoin core isn't syncing the coin's chain then something is horribly wrong and the developers need to be contacted.
My 3 cents is that you should shut the core down until the issue is fixed/you've found out what is causing it.

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 02:33:52 PM

I don't know about this coin, but the MonetaryUnit wallet does the same; occasionally it chokes the CPU for long periods of time even though the wallet is fully synced. Stopped using it because of it.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Griffith
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 03:29:41 PM

As a dev, ive done and seen a lot with code optimization. there are many ways a coin can use 100% cpu an have nothing wrong with it.

if it is still syncing it has to constantly process the blocks it is missing which will eat up a lot of CPU.
if it is mining a block and the difficulty is high then it will also eat up a lot of cpu because it needs to race to get the hash before anyone else.
if it is getting barraged with getblock requests by other nodes so that the other node can sync this also uses up quite a bit of cpu.
if your cpu is old and dual core (instead of quad core). and im talking about physical cores not logical cores, then when a process needs to run a lot of calculations it will show up as a much higher % number.

it can be a lot of things. but it doesnt mean the coin is broken. if you find that it is floored at 99% constantly. then you are more than likely mining with the coin and should turn that off.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 10:46:45 PM

gunna ask the few base questions everyone will have when reading this post..

are you currently syncing the blockchain?
are you mining when you see this?

and probably the most important question

what cpu do you have...?

The wallet is fully synced and there is no mining in process on my laptop. Virtacoin Core wallet is just idle and minimized into system tray, but it takes up 100% CPU load without doing absolutely nothing. I'm running Windows 10 by the way. The CPU is Intel Core i5-3210M Quad Core @ 2.50GHz  Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 05:29:16 PM

The wallet is fully synced and there is no mining in process on my laptop. Virtacoin Core wallet is just idle and minimized into system tray, but it takes up 100% CPU load without doing absolutely nothing. I'm running Windows 10 by the way. The CPU is Intel Core i5-3210M Quad Core @ 2.50GHz  Grin

If you may, try figure out exactly what it is doing while using your full processing capacity. Make sure the mining (in the debug window) is set to false. If your quest for the 100% is not satisfied by the answers that you find, just exit the client until you need to transact using virtacoin.

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 09:32:34 PM

The wallet is fully synced and there is no mining in process on my laptop. Virtacoin Core wallet is just idle and minimized into system tray, but it takes up 100% CPU load without doing absolutely nothing. I'm running Windows 10 by the way. The CPU is Intel Core i5-3210M Quad Core @ 2.50GHz  Grin

If you may, try figure out exactly what it is doing while using your full processing capacity. Make sure the mining (in the debug window) is set to false. If your quest for the 100% is not satisfied by the answers that you find, just exit the client until you need to transact using virtacoin.

Thanks for your advice, mate! After a bit of research made in Google, I have finally found the solution. It turns out that the wallet was mining in the background after all. I had to go to the appdata directory (in Windows) and inside the Virtacoin folder, you will find the virtacoin.conf file. Edit it with a text editor and where it says gen=1, replace it with gen=0. Then open the VTA wallet, and there you go. Now it takes only 2% of CPU usage.  Cheesy

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Griffith
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 02:59:15 AM

Thanks for your advice, mate! After a bit of research made in Google, I have finally found the solution. It turns out that the wallet was mining in the background after all. I had to go to the appdata directory (in Windows) and inside the Virtacoin folder, you will find the virtacoin.conf file. Edit it with a text editor and where it says gen=1, replace it with gen=0. Then open the VTA wallet, and there you go. Now it takes only 2% of CPU usage.  Cheesy

i called it. sweet. well good luck with the coin man
~Griffith
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: