Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:47:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie back up  (Read 540 times)
positivehigh (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:28:10 AM

If i back up my wallet using multibit, can i open it with bitcoin core? I tested to back up my multibit but when i opened mybackup.wallet to my bitcoin core wallet, It showed "Payment request fetch URL is invalid." What was my mistake?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:31:11 AM

If i back up my wallet using multibit, can i open it with bitcoin core? I tested to back up my multibit but when i opened mybackup.wallet to my bitcoin core wallet, It showed "Payment request fetch URL is invalid." What was my mistake?

Bitcoin Core and MultiBit do not use the same wallet format.  You can send bitcoins from one wallet to the other, and you may be able to export private keys from one and import them into the other, but you cannot simply open the wallet file from one of them with the other one.
positivehigh (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:41:43 AM

So in a situation that the multibit wallet crash and don't  have a new version, your wallet will be gone forever? What wallet i can use that the back up format is accessible to different wallets? thank you
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 05:47:24 AM

So in a situation that the multibit wallet crash and don't  have a new version, your wallet will be gone forever? What wallet i can use that the back up format is accessible to different wallets? thank you
AFAIK there is no wallet format that is universal. The wallet formats are pretty much specific to that wallet. However, there are tools available that can allow you to extract the private keys from those wallet files to import them to another wallet.

positivehigh (OP)

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:58:45 AM

Thank you for the support. So i will stay with multibit coz i have to forward to a new wallet my btc. thanks
foxkyu

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:55:04 AM

Thank you for the support. So i will stay with multibit coz i have to forward to a new wallet my btc. thanks
Good choice. Multibit is also good wallet to.

I use multibit for a long time ago. And if any problem just reset my transaction and it's back to normal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: