Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 01:44:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a blockchain that links one or more blockchains?  (Read 468 times)
snakus44 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 08:24:40 PM

I was thinking, what if there were a blockchain that links one or more blockchains, or how about all of them?  Something that would take confirmed blocks from BTC, LTC, DOGE, DASH, ect. link and hash them together in a unified way, and then that hash would be the blocks of this overlord chain.  I guess it would have to be its own alt coin.  Wouldn't that sort of combine the hashing power from all chains in some way?
ramsay snow

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 08:29:20 PM

Yes "kinda" there's.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Atomic_cross-chain_trading
https://ciyam.org/at/at_atomic.html

snakus44 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 08:50:52 PM

That's cool, I like the concept of atomic transfers.  I think they will be key in the creation of a crypto-based decentralized ride share/delivery platform.  But I guess an overlord chain is still just theoretical at this point.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 05:31:48 AM

Why would we want to combine the hashing power of all cyrptocoin mining? What's the benefit? The miners would end up having to work more individually to get paid, no?

Is there any other real world example of why linking blockchains would make sense?

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 06:20:36 AM

Atomic transfers is good concept. But I couldn't imagine combining different hashing power? How could it be? They are basing on different algo, block time, pos or pow etc. Probably underlying exchanges of different altcoins when transferring them is a bit realistic at the moment.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4522

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 06:26:14 AM

Atomic transfers is good concept. But I couldn't imagine combining different hashing power? How could it be? They are basing on different algo, block time, pos or pow etc. Probably underlying exchanges of different altcoins when transferring them is a bit realistic at the moment.

research merge-mining.

its been a reality for years. although mining pools wont tell you that, as they want to keep their altcoin rewards a secret. Cheesy

although merge mining is not exactly the same as the concept of AT or sidechains.. merge-mining is an example that while mining bitcoin you can also mine altcoins

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 08:18:19 AM

this could be a good way to transfer one network if it's compromised by something in the future like quantum, and start again easily with another algo, assuming they are going to work on a asic that can mine multile algo

asic with different chip, i was wondering if it is possible already to implement scrypt and sha256 on the same asic, so you can take advantage from this
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 08:22:18 AM

Why would someone do that ? This just increases the risk of bots carrying out the transactions .The moment it gets automated it opens up security issues as we all know how automated stuff can be taken advantage of by bots .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: