Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:44:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Mining is killing my lightbulbs  (Read 1711 times)
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 08:52:23 PM

Ever since I started mining, I noticed that many lightbulbs started burning out faster. This was on the breakers which shared the outlets with the miners and the light switch.

This wasn't a problem last year where in Canada the 60W incandescent light bulbs were still legal and cost about 10 cents each. Now going to Home Depot and the absolute cheapest light bulbs are the CCFL and they cost about $3 each. Also the "flood light" type bulbs are expensive also at about $4 each.

I noticed that this is due to

"Abandoning stale searches to restart"

this happens every few minutes where the miner shut off mining for a second and then restarts.

Was wondering is there anyway to prevent this from happening? Maybe doing shared mining between 2 pools?

Neptune

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 08:56:33 PM

install a surge suppressor between you miners and the wall outlet it stops power "noise" from traveling both directions.  Not a $10 power strip, but a real surge suppressor.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 09:03:45 PM

what version of softwre miner are using if bfg

try to put  

BFGMiner:
stratum+tcp://pool url.com:port_num/#xnsub   (mind the slash '/' before #xnsub) all version of BFG beyond 4.7 support it

CGMIiner may or may not .

one version might not, one may

but with cgminer use it the same but no / is needed

CGMINER:
stratum+tcp://poolurl:port_num#xnsub (no slash '/' before #xnsub)

if your version of CG doesn't support it, if CGMINER IS the software you have, it just won't work

that should help stop the discount if your not doing it all ready . You are anlt coin mining the way it sounds ? .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 09:11:18 PM

try to put  

BFGMiner:
stratum+tcp://pool url.com:port_num/#xnsub   (mind the slash '/' before #xnsub) all version of BFG beyond 4.7 support it

CGMINER:

if your version of CG doesn't support it, if CGMINER IS the software you have, it just won't work

that should help stop the discount if your not doing it all ready . You are anlt coin mining the way it sounds ? .

On my Jupiters I am running bfgminer version 3.8.1
On my S2 I am running CGminer version 3.12.0
S3 running an unknown version.

I am not mining altcoins just F2Pool.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 09:20:58 PM

Move miners to a different breaker(circuit).....

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 09:25:11 PM

Move miners to a different breaker(circuit).....

not an option.
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 09:42:51 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2015, 09:55:31 PM by toptek

try to put  

BFGMiner:

CGMINER:

On my Jupiters I am running bfgminer version 3.8.1
On my S2 I am running CGminer version 3.12.0
S3 running an unknown version.

I am not mining altcoins just F2Pool.

try it any way it helps with any disconnect i remember one time  i rented a miner the guy was having disconnect issue, i was only doing one coin with that miner, I asked him to try that it worked , his DC stopped but it may be a power issue you power is dirty so to speak or keeps dropping due to power company issues, check there site to see if they are having any kind of issue some times the power company's are and report it on there site . or get a new surge protector I'm  sure you have one now with all that gear. make sure the PSU or PSU's are ok .

NM #xnsub won't just noticed your versions of  bfg try to update it to  5.4.1 maybe then try ? . i really can't say what version of CGMINer other then start with cgminer4.8.0 on i think they put in support then but took it out at the latest CG MINER or it's there but you have to patch it in .

BFG has a nice walk thu in the ASIC read me on how to update the Jupiter or Neptune to the last version .

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 10:19:43 PM

one other thing you might try is buy one of the higher end lightbulbs if the surge protector doesn't work, it may just be cheap lightbulbs, i know you don't want to hear that but it could be that sadly .some of those low enrgry  lightbulbs are made cheap and burn out faster then the more costly ones. but try the surge protector first if it keeps blowing, it might just be cheap made lightbulbs Tongue(.

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 12:56:46 AM

The other solution is underclocking/undervolting your miners so they dont put such a large power draw on that circuit.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:03:26 AM

The other solution is underclocking/undervolting your miners so they dont put such a large power draw on that circuit.

OP how much watts are you putting on each circuit? Also what volt and amp are the circuit breakers?   I just have never had issues with light bulbs makes me wonder if your pushing wiring or breaker really hard.

Have you tried anything new like the LED lightbulbs? Might be worth a shot trying one and see how it does compared to the CCFL if they keep dying.
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:11:12 AM

Yeah, I remember when I had my 15A / 120v circuits at near full load, the lights(on same circuit) would brighten briefly during block changes. LOL! Ultimately I had to spread them out on different circuits ... so I didnt get "new block found on network" reminders. HAHA!

Its kinda like turning a hairdryer on and off ... those things easily put a circuit near max and the surge of current they pull when u start them is what causes dimming.

adaseb (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:20:51 AM

For everyone that replied.

I tried different brands of light bulbs. The cheap dollar store ones and Phillips/GE they all last the same amount.

I am pulling around only 1000Watts or so.

LED is very expensive and if mining kills those LEDs then its going to get very expensive.

Besides buying expensive surge protectors, is there any software method to fix this?

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:31:37 AM

I tried different brands of light bulbs. The cheap dollar store ones and Phillips/GE they all last the same amount.

LED is very expensive and if mining kills those LEDs then its going to get very expensive.

Besides buying expensive surge protectors, is there any software method to fix this?

I just mentioned a software method.... lower the clocks / volts of the miners! Dont draw as much power.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:39:46 AM

It makes me wonder of quality of wiring or breaker.  I have pulled 1K + on multiple circuits in my house never once killed a bulb.  I now have most in my mining area, which is a nice option to have (I realize most don't have this option).

I'm suggesting trying 1 led bulb to see what it does.  I think it's possible it will act different as so low energy to power.  But I would not switch all to this unless you are sure it wont kill it, as your right it would make it more expensive.
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 01:47:18 AM

It makes me wonder of quality of wiring or breaker.  I have pulled 1K + on multiple circuits in my house never once killed a bulb.  I now have most in my mining area, which is a nice option to have (I realize most don't have this option).

I'm suggesting trying 1 led bulb to see what it does.  I think it's possible it will act different as so low energy to power.  But I would not switch all to this unless you are sure it wont kill it, as your right it would make it more expensive.

Haha, yeah ... I know a circuit in my place is not wired right from a certain outlet forward or something. Basically the delta between ground and hot is 60v or w/e its not the perfect 120 -120 0 (or whatever they should be) it should be when measuring all 3 holes in relation to each other.

toptek
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 04:05:30 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2015, 04:18:20 AM by toptek

True, i had a 110 10/2 15 amp  line up to three k once it only popped when the dic washer kicked in sense that was the only thing besides my miner on it, sense then ive had 2 110 20 amps put in, then a  new main panel then a 240 30 amp on 8/2 wire, i use now.

sense he said it"s not a option to try another line i tired to help him with what he had.

nice glad some one pushed it,
it sounds like it his wiring at this point .
 but sense that's not a option, lower the speed as some one else said or try a different line.

those miner are pulling a 1000 watts can I  buy them Smiley at default speeds ?.

i guess my point is not being a jerk how do you have a s2 and Jupiter doing that that's amazing  il buy them more then one Jupiter ?.

does sound like they are pulling to much .

Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 04:17:17 AM

Who needs light anyway?  Running those bulbs is killing your mining potential!
It's cheesy but you could run a 12 gauge short extension cord from another room.
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 03:04:05 PM

Who needs light anyway?  Running those bulbs is killing your mining potential!
It's cheesy but you could run a 12 gauge short extension cord from another room.

1) Surge protectors aren't that expensive and are a good investment. I'd just buy one, it might end up saving your gear one day and easily pay for itself by doing so.

2) Yep, totally. Run a 30' extension cord from another part of the house to a cheap lamp. That would be solution #2.

If you have to go cheap, do whatever is cheapest, but do something now. Eventually you'll spend more on bulbs than either solution.
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 03:48:32 PM

Use one of these. It will even out the surging caused by the miners going on and off.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Complete-Home-Surge-Protection-CHSPT2MICRO/202800798

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
Biodom
Legendary

Merit: 3907

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 04:20:18 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2015, 04:40:32 PM by Biodom

I put my miners on APC surgearrest ~$19.99 now, I bought in microcenter (more expensive), but here is an Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-P8T3-SURGEARREST-SPLITTER-PROTECTION/dp/B0012YLTSA
walmart has it at $2 discount
http://www.walmart.com/ip/APC-8-Outlet-1750J-Surge-w-RJ11/12321687

useful thing anyway, 1750J surge protector (much more than 540J for a typical $8-10 beige one), 150K in equipment protection.
lamps are doing fine.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: