Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:36:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can we proceed?  (Read 940 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 11:39:27 PM

Person A offers some digital goods to Person B, they both don't know each other. Person B however requires that Person A show him the goods beforehand as proof that they are legit, which reveal them in such a way(and no, it's not possible any other way), that Person A can be scammed and not got paid.

How should a deal be made, where neither entities can scam each other, but also Person B to pay for sure.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Fwdxlsh

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 12:40:44 AM

Please stop with the person a and person b charade.

Just namedrop so we know who you're talking about. Honestly.
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 12:47:34 AM

Person A offers some digital goods to Person B, they both don't know each other. Person B however requires that Person A show him the goods beforehand as proof that they are legit, which reveal them in such a way(and no, it's not possible any other way), that Person A can be scammed and not got paid.

How should a deal be made, where neither entities can scam each other, but also Person B to pay for sure.

Do you mean for example selling an ebook? So showing the digital good beforehand means actually sending it before the payment?
The only solution is using a trusted escrow. Persons A and B agree a detailed description, person A sends the good to the escrow and he confirms the good is as described (and decides by himself whether its legit). Then person B sends the payment to A, the escrow confirms it and forwards the good to person B.
Of course the escrow would also receive the good but there's no other way. Person A could use the same escrow several times (instead of giving away the good to several escrows) and should trust him enough that he won't re-sell it.

'Escrow' is the answer to most 'how to deal' questions.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 12:49:03 AM

The purpose Person B inspecting the goods is so they can cancel the trade if they aren't satisfied. So, no matter how the deal is arranged, they will want to be able to cancel it after they have seen the goods (and potentially copied them).

The only way to solve this is to prove to them that they are getting what they are paying for without showing it to them or prove to an escrow/arbitrator that they got what they paid for.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:58:59 AM

I think the answer are smart contracts. I know bitbay are busy with that. but it is taking over a year to develop so I am not sure it will come out, since they are still in BETA

torontocoinexchange

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 11:15:15 AM

You could set up a smart contract on Ethereum network and then use bitcoin relay.  So that in the case person A/B are dissatisfied, they can invoke a 3rd party arbitration of their choice:

https://github.com/ethereum/btcrelay/
Newcoins2020

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:58:12 PM

The developers of Stellar are also working on a smart contracts system. Since they just proposed it, i guess it will take a couple of weeks before it is released.

P.S. The new name of stellar is Lumen.
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2015, 01:28:24 AM

Person B should pay an amount beforehand that matches the risk Person A is running into by showing the goods. Yes, person B will then be risking something and risking getting scammed. So does Person A, which has the risk of not receiving the full payment.

Just my 2 cents.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 07:33:38 AM

so you can't do it with a video, you really need to view those items in real life?

it's hard to fake a video to be honest, i would go with such option instead
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 07:44:14 AM

so you can't do it with a video, you really need to view those items in real life?

it's hard to fake a video to be honest, i would go with such option instead

for ebooks and videos it is possible to use payment channels.
eg you pay per page or in case of a video per second you have watched it. when you have seen all you own it...

not sure if they are available and usable yet.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 10:18:24 PM

The developers of Stellar are also working on a smart contracts system. Since they just proposed it, i guess it will take a couple of weeks before it is released.

P.S. The new name of stellar is Lumen.

Yeah I am quite excited about the smart contracts of stellar. To me they have a solid and capable dev team.

The moment they will launch it, it will come along with some good marketing.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 10:48:14 PM

Since the seller won't reveal you the info for free the only solution would be to use a trusted escrow that can check the info for you. I think multi signature would not help either since when one party does not agree then nothing happes with the funds. An escrow could decide who is right and act accordingly.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: