Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 10:18:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitme still operational?  (Read 749 times)
mangocrazy (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 06:42:28 PM

I had been using Bitfloor to make in-bank cash deposits and convert to BTC. But since their security breech and apparent banking issues (cash deposits no longer accepted), I need a different service. I have used Bitme once before, and it went smoothly, although their trading floor isn't the best--not much traffic, so it's a seller's market.

Anyways, I just wanted to make sure Bitme was still trading, so I don't foolishly deposit free money into someone's account. Really liked everything about Bitfloor, until the egregious organizational problems became evident.

Thanks for any info/suggestions.

Mango
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 07:00:33 PM

I have used Bitme once before, and it went smoothly

I've had similar positive experiences with BitMe.

--not much traffic, so it's a seller's market.

Actually, the sellers are sitting now at about the same or below the BTC/USD exchange rate at Mt. Gox.  So it is closer to being a buyer's market as you can put in a bid several percent below the Mt. Gox rate and you still might get the bid filled from an aggressive seller.   It is often cheaper to buy bitcoins through BitMe than anywhere else, especially when you obtain the benefit of a liquidity rebate,

Though once you start talking more than a few hundred dollars worth of trading then you start to run into liquidity issues and "slippage".
 - http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/bitmeUSD_depth.html

If they had two-factor authentication (OTP / Google Authenticator or Yubikey) I believe more traders would be adding liquidity.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mangocrazy (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 07:28:02 PM

Actually, the sellers are sitting now at about the same or below the BTC/USD exchange rate at Mt. Gox.  So it is closer to being a buyer's market as you can put in a bid several percent below the Mt. Gox rate and you still might get the bid filled from an aggressive seller.

Thanks, Mr. Gornick--that's good to know. Last time, I didn't exercise much patience, and wound up buying at the ask price--as there didn't seem to be much/any traffic.

Now, I hope Bitme is indeed up and running right. No reason it shouldn't be, but in this game, you never can tell.

Mango
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: