Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:00:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to guess a privkey?  (Read 3866 times)
Sir_lagsalot (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 11:38:29 AM

As the title asks, is it possible to guess a privkey/generate an existing wallet's privkey? I'm quite interested about how mining for a bitcoin address works. Is it kind of the same thing as mining a block, guessing combinations of numbers and letters (the privkey) to unlock the code (wallet address), or is it some other kind of algorithm?

I've used vanity miner before, and I've tried guessing an existing address, but according do vanitygen, it takes more than a billion years on average to solve. Assuming I was lucky enough to mine the exact same address, could I get the privkey?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 11:53:52 AM

I've used vanity miner before, and I've tried guessing an existing address, but according do vanitygen, it takes more than a billion years on average to solve. Assuming I was lucky enough to mine the exact same address, could I get the privkey?

Yes, in theory.  Note however that you provided the actual answer yourself:  The chance is so vanishingly small that it is, for all practical purposes, simply impossible.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 12:26:00 PM

As the title asks, is it possible to guess a privkey/generate an existing wallet's privkey?

That depends.  If the private key that you are attempting to "guess" was generated from a non-random source (such as a passphrase or faulty random number generator) and you know something about how it was generated, then it may be possible to guess or generate the same key.

I'm quite interested about how mining for a bitcoin address works.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "mining for a bitcoin address".  That isn't really a commonly understood concept, so it probably works in whatever way you want to define it since you're the one using the phrase.

Is it kind of the same thing as mining a block, guessing combinations of numbers and letters (the privkey) to unlock the code (wallet address),

That would be known as a "brute-force" search for the private key.  It is a waste of time and money to attempt such a thing.  You could run a million computers for a million years and you still wouldn't randomly generate the private key for any address spcifically chosen ahead of time.

or is it some other kind of algorithm?

If a private key is generated in some non-random manner, and you know something about how it was generated, then you could limit the search space based on your knowledge.  This would allow you to build an algorithm around what you know about how it was generated.

I've used vanity miner before, and I've tried guessing an existing address, but according do vanitygen, it takes more than a billion years on average to solve.

Yes.  Much more than a billion years.  It isn't going to happen.

Assuming I was lucky enough to mine the exact same address, could I get the privkey?

Yes, if you got the exact same address, then you would have one of the 7.9 X 1028 (on average) working private keys for that address.
Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 12:55:58 PM

Assuming I was lucky enough to mine the exact same address, could I get the privkey?

Yes, if you got the exact same address, then you would have one of the 7.9 X 1028 (on average) working private keys for that address.
wait im not quite sure i understand, are you saying that every bitcoin address has more than 1 private key associated with it? I've always thought it was 1private key that links to 1 address
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 01:07:49 PM

wait im not quite sure i understand, are you saying that every bitcoin address has more than 1 private key associated with it? I've always thought it was 1private key that links to 1 address

That is correct. There are 2256 private keys with 2256 public keys. The public key is hashed with ripemd160(sha256(pubkey)). Ripemd160 is limited to 2160 possible solutions thus[1] there are 2160 possible addresses with 2256 private keys or 2256/2160 = 296 private keys per address. 296 ~7.9*1028

[1] under some minor assumptions like even distribution

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
traderbit

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 06:58:36 PM

Everything is possible so i think guessing a private key is possible too.
But that could be the rarest case ever because there are lots of space to guess.
As shorena says the number is very huge so the probability to guess the correct private key are near zero.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:04:36 PM

Of course, watch me. Is your private key 1EHba6Q4Jz2uvNExL497mE43ikXhwF6kNm ?

Now just keep guessing until you guess correctly. Note that you should also start training your children to guess. This will likely take billions of years.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 07:12:38 PM

Now just keep guessing until you guess correctly. Note that you should also start training your children to guess. This will likely take billions of years.
Yes, this is pedantic, but only because up thread was a bit more technical and your statement may cause some confusion:

1EHba6Q4Jz2uvNExL497mE43ikXhwF6kNm is not a private key, it is a Bitcoin address

As described above there are about 2256 - 160 = 296 public/private key pairs that will map to this specific Bitcoin address.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:20:19 PM

Yes, this is pedantic, but only because up thread was a bit more technical and your statement may cause some confusion:

1EHba6Q4Jz2uvNExL497mE43ikXhwF6kNm is not a private key, it is a Bitcoin address.
- snip -

Actually...

It's not even a bitcoin address.  It's just a random string of characters that starts with a 1.

He might as well have said:

"Is your private key 1a2b3c?"

Mirdude

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:26:08 PM

Would take a hell of a long time tbh!
h0w8rd

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:45:03 PM

Yes you can guess a Private Key, it's just a matter of time.

if you want to guess a privet key to a specific address, then it's just a matter of more time.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 07:49:31 PM

1EHba6Q4Jz2uvNExL497mE43ikXhwF6kNm is not a private key, it is a Bitcoin address.
- snip -

Actually...

It's not even a bitcoin address.  It's just a random string of characters that starts with a 1.

He might as well have said:

"Is your private key 1a2b3c?"

In my defense I thought he might be tricking me with an unusual private key.  Cheesy
LOL, No, I read right past it and just plopped down a string for joke purposes.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
jaydipmodhwadia

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Verify my Bitcoin Address before EVERY transaction

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 08:00:27 PM

To my understandings, I don't think even IBM Watson would be able to crack a privkey.
Quite frankly, its clever the way the addresses were made.
I thank Satoshi
*Preach*
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 09:47:08 PM

As the title asks, is it possible to guess a privkey/generate an existing wallet's privkey?

In theory yes, but in practice the chance is so low that you can be certain it won't happen in your lifespan. This comes down to the search space being enormous. This search space is so huge its larger than finding one genome in the entire human genome.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
h0w8rd

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:03:04 PM

anybody can guess the private key, it just takes too long to do it.

when I was explaining BTC to my girlfriend and friends, I say is impossible for anyone to crack a wallet, the time it take is longer than the universe itself, when I say "but" (there is the remote change, that's next to nothing) and they just don't feel safe there is some chance it could be hacked, and turned away from bitcoin.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:11:11 PM

This search space is so huge its larger than finding one genome in the entire human genome.

Yes.  But that's a bit extreme.

It's sort of like saying that the visible universe is larger than a water molecule.  It's true, but as a comparison it really doesn't really tell you much about how big the visible universe is.

There are less than 25,000 human protein-coding genes.  There are approximately 7,300,000,000 humans on the planet.

That's 25,000 * 7,300,000,000 = 1.8 X 1014 total human genes on the planet (including all the duplicates that children get from their living ancestors).

Meanwhile there are 1.46 X 1048 different potential bitcoin addresses.

That means that if you had 1 billion different bitcoin addresses for each and every human gene in existence in a living human, you still wouldn't even be close to finding a working private key for a given bitcoin address.

The average human being is made up of approximately 37.2 X 1012 living cells.

That means that if you cut up all the living human cells on the planet, and extracted all the genes from every cell, and had 1 billion different addresses for each and every gene from each and every cell...

37.2 X 1012 * 7.3 X 109 * 25.0 X 103 * 1 X 109 = 6.79 X 1036

You still wouldn't have even 1% of 1% of a chance of having found a working private key for a given bitcoin address.

If you repeated that same process on a million planets that were all populated with 7.3 billion humans just like us, you'd have 4.96 X 1043. You still wouldn't have a 1% of 1% chance of having found a working private key for a given bitcoin address.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 10:14:18 PM

anybody can guess the private key,

No. They can't.

it just takes too long to do it.

Which is why they can't.

when I was explaining BTC to my girlfriend and friends, I say is impossible for anyone to crack a wallet

Assuming that the addresses are generated from a sufficient source of entropy, that is correct.

the time it take is longer than the universe itself,

Much, much longer.

when I say "but" (there is the remote change, that's next to nothing) and they just don't feel safe there is some chance it could be hacked, and turned away from bitcoin.

That's because you gave them bad information and mis-led them into believing the wrong thing.  There is not a "remote chance".  It won't happen.
lottoshares

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 11:18:18 PM

That depends.  If the private key that you are attempting to "guess" was generated from a non-random source (such as a passphrase or faulty random number generator) and you know something about how it was generated, then it may be possible to guess or generate the same key.

Blockchain.info briefly generated private keys using a non-random source due to a programming bug. An honest programmer has a computer running which constantly scans the network for such vulnerable private keys, and transferred the coins controlled by them to his own secure address. He returned them to blockchain.info with an explanation of the programming error it had made that left them vulnerable to theft.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 12:08:58 PM

@DannyHamilton

I am astonished by the number of times you have replied to these kinds of threads. Anyone else would've lost their mind.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 12:08:52 AM

Yes it is, it just like crackin' a password. But it will take a long long long time to do it, because private key has so many characters in it.

faucet used to be profitable
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: