Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:25:30 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to guess a privkey?  (Read 3893 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 02:29:21 AM

Yes it is, it just like crackin' a password. But it will take a long long long time to do it, because private key has so many characters in it.

The short answer is, "The earth will no longer exist by the time you guess a private key."

Here's the long answer.

Buy & Hold
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1117

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 06:06:56 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

i once asked the same question.
one answer is missing here:
nothing easier than that. this has already be done. have a look at: http://directory.io

edit: read carefully  Roll Eyes
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 08:07:04 PM

Yes, it is possible but a bitcoin address of just so long it souls take you a few trillion trillion trillion years, if I remember correctly. O don't think humans have even existed for that long.... Maybe we'll be able to goes a private key when Quantum computers come out though :-/

@DannyHamilton

I am astonished by the number of times you have replied to these kinds of threads. Anyone else would've lost their mind.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but how do you change your name?

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 05:00:18 PM

The sane answer is ....... "NO"  Cheesy
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 09:01:54 PM

Theoratically yes.. its possible..
.. but its not worth the time trying.. you probably wouldn't guess the right private key in your entire life.

extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 09:03:29 PM

Theoratically yes.. its possible..
.. but its not worth the time trying.. you probably wouldn't guess the right private key in your entire life.

In theoretically it should be but practically it is not possible not for now but even for a decade from now.
Was

Activity: 75
Merit: 12

We are Satoshi.

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 05:46:02 AM

Quick Spin on the question to anyone who feels obliged to answer,

If I created an Altcoin, and used the same algorithm (secpk256, i think) to generate the pub/priv key pairs, if I sent coins to an existing address on the bitcoin network, for example,one of Satoshi's, would the private key be the same for that address on the altcoin blockchain? i.e. would satoshi be able to spend these coins assuming he was aware of this?

thank in advance

Was

We Are Satoshi.
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 275

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 05:50:16 AM

Quick Spin on the question to anyone who feels obliged to answer,

If I created an Altcoin, and used the same algorithm (secpk256, i think) to generate the pub/priv key pairs, if I sent coins to an existing address on the bitcoin network, for example,one of Satoshi's, would the private key be the same for that address on the altcoin blockchain? i.e. would satoshi be able to spend these coins assuming he was aware of this?

thank in advance

Was

Yep!

Bitwasp Developer.
Was

We are Satoshi.

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 05:52:26 AM

excellent, thank you.

We Are Satoshi.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2015, 10:34:49 AM

excellent, thank you.

CLAM distribut(s|ed) its coins that way.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 03:20:29 PM

you can create address.

then guess it.

probability is 100% key is same Cheesy

but you're not richer
sad
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 03:22:27 PM

come to my house

take my pc

copy my key

you guessed it Cheesy

congratulation you stole my funds

chance is 100% when I sleep

when awake i beat you up
Was

We are Satoshi.

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 10:37:24 AM

excellent, thank you.

CLAM distribut(s|ed) its coins that way.

clam?

We Are Satoshi.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4664

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 12:15:40 PM

- snip -
clam?

It's an "altcoin".  As a rule I generally avoid all altcoins, so I don't know a lot about it, but you can read a thread about it here if you like:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623147.0
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 275

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 02:57:15 PM

It is possible. Just don't waste your time.

Bitwasp Developer.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2015, 04:04:51 PM

The initial distribution of CLAMs is interesting. Basically, if you owned Bitcoins at a certain point in time then you own the corresponding CLAMs, all you have to do is claim them.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2015, 05:03:58 PM

The initial distribution of CLAMs is interesting. Basically, if you owned Bitcoins at a certain point in time then you own the corresponding CLAMs, all you have to do is claim them.

Sorry, I did not want to derail the thread with this. They also did(?) this for litecoin and dogecoin. I say did with a questionmark because there recently was a big discussion whether the dev should fork CLAM to change this behaviour. I did not follow the coin for a while though, so ...

-snip-
you can read a thread about it here if you like:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623147.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 07:18:50 PM

Don't worry, as stated before, private keys are strongly encrypted and would take quite some time even for supercomputers to decrypt. Don't worry, your coins are safe.

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
Sir_lagsalot (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 11:32:16 AM

Yes it is, it just like crackin' a password. But it will take a long long long time to do it, because private key has so many characters in it.

The short answer is, "The earth will no longer exist by the time you guess a private key."

Here's the long answer.

Wow, now that I think about it, that makes an awful lot of sense. But hashing is a lot more random, on average it will be impossible, but even a lemon could guess a privkey first try.
z0rg1nc

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 08:10:24 PM

I've used vanity miner before, and I've tried guessing an existing address, but according do vanitygen, it takes more than a billion years on average to solve. Assuming I was lucky enough to mine the exact same address, could I get the privkey?

Yes, in theory.  Note however that you provided the actual answer yourself:  The chance is so vanishingly small that it is, for all practical purposes, simply impossible.

If there isn't some RNG collision... I had experience with one same address in btc core and on blockchain.info Probably got so lucky=) No import\export of course. Generated with period 1 month+. This year. When developing exchange of BitMoney. No proofs but it happened.

So...

P.S. Oh i see there was some bug on blockchain.info, but how it could coicide with btc core?

Looking the cheapest and fastest microtransactions?They are already here
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: