November 26, 2015, 04:46:41 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2016, 07:26:01 AM by RealBitcoin

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 07:21:27 AM

I`m using method 8⟩ for my bitcoins, and every techy people can easily use method 8⟩ to store bitcoin.

If you are a non-tech person then probably 7) is the best method for you. Hardware wallets are probably the most cost-effective of them all and very practical and easy to use for mainstream people too,
and if you have no clue how to secure the bitcoins properly then probably 7) is the best for you.

Otherwise 8⟩ or probably 9) if you hold huge amounts of bitcoin.

GOOD LUCK KEEPING YOUR BITCOINS SAFE FROM THIEVES!

I suggest putting like 8.5 or something like that and talk about storing a properly made paper wallet in a bank safety deposit box.  If it's done correctly no risk of hacking as it's a paper wallet (again IF done correctly).   And with bank it has high security that most places don't.

Its a good option for large sums of bitcoins. 
RealBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 07:44:54 AM

I suggest putting like 8.5 or something like that and talk about storing a properly made paper wallet in a bank safety deposit box.  If it's done correctly no risk of hacking as it's a paper wallet (again IF done correctly).   And with bank it has high security that most places don't.

A paper wallet doesnt have access to bitcoin. It stores private keys.

Then you must have the private key on a computer to be able to sign a transaction. At which point you have to choose 1 out of the 9 methods to access that private key.

So a paper wallet is more like a backup plan, but not a bitcoin point of access.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 09:25:27 AM

A paper wallet doesnt have access to bitcoin. It stores private keys.

Then you must have the private key on a computer to be able to sign a transaction. At which point you have to choose 1 out of the 9 methods to access that private key.

So a paper wallet is more like a backup plan, but not a bitcoin point of access.

How is paper wallet with private key not a "Bitcoin Storage method".   You store BTC on a address you have private key to.  Once you need it you can put private key into many different wallets depending on what's your favorite.

To use it you need to put it into wallet yes.  But it in no way is a backup plan.  Paper wallet is a valid storage method.
mixan
Legendary

Activity: 966

TRUMP IS DOING THE BEST! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 03:00:30 AM

There is risk in using any of those methods mentioned. You can lose you key in the paper mess called a desk, you hard drive can crash, the site for your web wallet can not be accessible and the exchange you store your coins on can get hacked.
Nothing really is safe to store your coins on.

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 06:20:36 AM

How is paper wallet with private key not a "Bitcoin Storage method".   You store BTC on a address you have private key to.  Once you need it you can put private key into many different wallets depending on what's your favorite.

Yes that is what I meant. You said that a paper storage method is a method, but not in my list, because a signed data has to access an online PC to broadcast the transaction, which will happen in 1-9 ways.

So a paper wallet is irrelevant in this discussion, as I`m talking about PC security. Plus a paper wallet is worse secure than a hardware wallet, because both can be extorted from a person but a harware wallet atleast has access to the PC and its more practical.

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 06:22:13 AM

There is risk in using any of those methods mentioned. You can lose you key in the paper mess called a desk, you hard drive can crash, the site for your web wallet can not be accessible and the exchange you store your coins on can get hacked.
Nothing really is safe to store your coins on.

Yes, but i`m talking about malware security, not as in general risks.

Read the first posts , the topic of the thread is protection against malware and other digital hazards. Losing the keys by other means are a different discussion.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:02:01 AM

How is paper wallet with private key not a "Bitcoin Storage method".   You store BTC on a address you have private key to.  Once you need it you can put private key into many different wallets depending on what's your favorite.

Yes that is what I meant. You said that a paper storage method is a method, but not in my list, because a signed data has to access an online PC to broadcast the transaction, which will happen in 1-9 ways.

So a paper wallet is irrelevant in this discussion, as I`m talking about PC security. Plus a paper wallet is worse secure than a hardware wallet, because both can be extorted from a person but a harware wallet atleast has access to the PC and its more practical.

The whole point of a paper wallet is that it keeps your private key (and BTC address) offline.  So it is stored on a piece of paper.   Your thread is about storage... not transmission.  And I'm talking storage in a safty deposit box or similar, not in a desk like one mentioned above.

I think leaving a big some on a PC is a bad idea for the most part.  And even military grade can have someone take BTC there is a level of trust at this level that a "bad  guy" can take advantage of just look at silk road where agents took BTC - http://www.coindesk.com/former-silk-road-dea-agent-pleads-guilty-to-bitcoin-theft/   So even military computers are not perfect as long as a human is part of equation.   According to your list this cannot happen as these DEA agents no doubt were military grade hardware and site.... but it did.  No way of storage has zero risk.

Your logic if flawed in my view.
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:07:13 AM

I think leaving a big some on a PC is a bad idea for the most part.  And even military grade can have someone take BTC there is a level of trust at this level that a "bad  guy" can take advantage of just look at silk road where agents took BTC - http://www.coindesk.com/former-silk-road-dea-agent-pleads-guilty-to-bitcoin-theft/   So even military computers are not perfect as long as a human is part of equation.

Dude , I`m talking about PC malware stealing bitcoin. Do you not understand that you will have to import that private key eventually into a PC if you want to spend it.

That is the point I`m trying to make. So a paper wallet is irrelevant in this discussion, because eventually you will have to import that key into a PC to be able to use those bitcoins.

So, a paper wallet is not a point of access to bitcoins. Just as your credit card is not a point of access to your money: the ATM is.

The whole point of a paper wallet is that it keeps your private key (and BTC address) offline.  So it is stored on a piece of paper.   Your thread is about storage... not transmission.

No my thread is about safety & risks of different bitcoin storage methods that have point of access: keeping bitcoin safe against malware.

Quote from: ME

This is only an analysis of the security, from point of view of physical risk of theft or from malware

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:12:51 AM

According to your list this cannot happen as these DEA agents no doubt were military grade hardware and site.... but it did.  No way of storage has zero risk.

What do you mean by this, I dont understand what you are telling me here.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:24:11 AM

According to your list this cannot happen as these DEA agents no doubt were military grade hardware and site.... but it did.  No way of storage has zero risk.

This will be my last post as I don't care to post in this thread and bump it up.  It should be changed from storage methods to Malware Threats as you say that is what your focus is.... but to each his own.

Read the article with it you missed a very important part by not reading. It is DEA agents with military grade equipment, and secret clearances doing bad things.  They took BTC so... the point is as long as the human factor and greed is there there is no 100 percent safe storage.  So you thoery about "Military-grade" being 100 percent safe is flawed.

I suggest changing thread title to Malare Threats, not Storage.  Paper wallets are a valid storage.  Hardware and Paper are great cold storage way's of storage but it all depends on the person and how they are using the BTC with what is best.

Don't post multiple times in a row in same thread in one day... one might think you are trying to push the thread to top of beginner thread.  So read the article I linked, and also the rules on bumping threads as this is not ok below:

Nov 26 - 2 post's in a row
11/28 - 2 posts in a row, 2 different times
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:31:53 AM

According to your list this cannot happen as these DEA agents no doubt were military grade hardware and site.... but it did.  No way of storage has zero risk.

This will be my last post as I don't care to post in this thread and bump it up.  It should be changed from storage methods to Malware Threats as you say that is what your focus is.... but to each his own.

Read the article with it you missed a very important part by not reading. It is DEA agents with military grade equipment, and secret clearances doing bad things.  They took BTC so... the point is as long as the human factor and greed is there there is no 100 percent safe storage.  So you thoery about "Military-grade" being 100 percent safe is flawed.

I suggest changing thread title to Malare Threats, not Storage.  Don't post multiple times in a row in same thread in one day... one might think you are trying to push the thread to top of beginner thread.  So read the article I linked, and also the rules on bumping threads as this is not ok below:

Nov 26 - 2 post's in a row
11/28 - 2 posts in a row, 2 different times

Ok i change the title, if its so confusing.

But your logic isnt consistent too, if the attacker has military capacity to attack, then how else will you defend if you dont use the same quality defenses?

Instead of plain paper wallet storage in a lockbox in a bank (where millions of things can go wrong), why not use AES encryption that is military standard?

You basically want to give your bitcoins to the bank. Whats the point of bitcoin then. You should just use fiat then.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 02:59:48 PM

take your first point, and remove the "Then they start visiting shady websites, clicking on all shady ads, clicking on links from spam e-mail etc..." and you have the safest storage

it was i'm doing since i discovered bitcoin, and not even a satoshi was stolen from my desktop, the first secure option is your brain
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 03:11:31 PM

Why Professional online PC storage is more risky than Responsible online PC storage by your scale? Professional way is worse or it is a typo?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2015, 03:25:10 PM

Instead of plain paper wallet storage in a lockbox in a bank (where millions of things can go wrong), why not use AES encryption that is military standard?

You basically want to give your bitcoins to the bank. Whats the point of bitcoin then. You should just use fiat then.
Paper wallets encrypted with BIP38 do use AES encryption. In fact, if you do make paper wallets for cold storage, you should ALWAYS have it BIP38 encrypted.

RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 06:00:57 PM

take your first point, and remove the "Then they start visiting shady websites, clicking on all shady ads, clicking on links from spam e-mail etc..." and you have the safest storage

it was i'm doing since i discovered bitcoin, and not even a satoshi was stolen from my desktop, the first secure option is your brain

Yet. You cannot know what other dangers might lurk in the future.

I dont really recomment what you are doing, it is very risky to store all btc in online pc.

Why Professional online PC storage is more risky than Responsible online PC storage by your scale? Professional way is worse or it is a typo?

No it's not. The red dot is the risk meter, check again.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 12:31:03 AM

Nice analysis! Why not just use a Trezor and set up all the bunch of fake accounts on it with a one word passphrase that you just must remember. In this way even the people that would extortion your coins can't do anything!

This would still be my option number 1, everything else is too complicated with too much hassle or not enough safe!
RealBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 04:54:14 AM

Nice analysis! Why not just use a Trezor and set up all the bunch of fake accounts on it with a one word passphrase that you just must remember. In this way even the people that would extortion your coins can't do anything!

This would still be my option number 1, everything else is too complicated with too much hassle or not enough safe!

I`m not sure how trezor works, doesnt it only contain 1 bitcoin address or can you hold multiple?

Can the attacker browse through your fake accounts until it finds the real one and demand that from you instead?

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2015, 05:15:58 AM

I`m not sure how trezor works, doesnt it only contain 1 bitcoin address or can you hold multiple?
Trezors allow you to have multiple addresses. And they also have multiple accounts per device. It just depends on the password used.

Can the attacker browse through your fake accounts until it finds the real one and demand that from you instead?
No because he cannot know what accounts are on it since the accounts are determined by the password.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 08:19:24 AM

Yet. You cannot know what other dangers might lurk in the future.

I dont really recomment what you are doing, it is very risky to store all btc in online pc.

well not all, i still keep them in the cold storage like any other sane person, but i like to have an hot wallet with a certain amount

for faster spending
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: