Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:46:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-11-26] Running a Bitcoin node just got cheaper with the $5 Raspberry Pi  (Read 736 times)
themerkle (OP)

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 08:58:23 AM

If you always wanted to run a Bitcoin node but did not want to spend $40 plus shipping on a Raspberry Pi, fear not because an even cheaper alternative is here. Today, the UK based company released the Raspberry Pi Zero, a brand new model priced at only $5. It includes a 1Ghz processor along with a Micro SD slot, USB outputs, HDMI output, and a few other components which are included in the other Raspberry Pi models.

Surprisingly, the tiny board is 40% faster than the original Raspberry Pi 1. At such a low price, you can setup a bitcoin node for about $15, factoring in shipping and the micro SD card costs. The Raspberry Pi Zero comes preinstalled with full Raspbian, along with an installation of Minecraft. The Pi Zero shows just how cheap computers are becoming, which is leading us into the next revolution – IOT.

Read More: http://themerkle.com/news/running-a-bitcoin-node-just-got-cheaper-with-the-5-raspberry-pi/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 10:01:30 AM

Pi Zero looks great, however it's no good for running a node as it only has 512mb of RAM. I've been down the node route and you ideally want 2GB, but at least 1GB and limit connections.

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 10:19:01 AM

If something like this is no good for bitcoin mining would it be useful to mine other coins or is the RAM not enough for other coins?

edit: 
Suppose you can just spend a bit more and get 1gb or 2gb
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 11:12:44 AM

It's nice for sure. But you'll also need to include a (for now) 64GB memory card to host the full blockchain as that takes up around 54-55GB at current date. More ideal would be a 128GB memory card. It's impossible for me here in Europe to get the complete package for just $15.

I can't seem to find if this model is supporting a 128GB memory card. Does any one knows what the max capacity memory card it supports? I will definitely order one and play with it. $5 is just too cheap to let it slip.

EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 11:58:58 AM

Thanks for the share I have a question since your also the OP and article writer, I was wondering how you would set up a node to vote for a particular BIP proposal say for example BIP 106 etc, and by extension it does make me a bit concerned that their will be fake nodes run to promote false usage (by defintion of user) I recall XT did that for a while back, that said the network can always use more connection points.

--
As we know, there have been many BIPs (Bitcoin Improvement Proposals) which try to propose the next best algorithm for increasing the block size. As a node operator, you have the ability to choose which version of the bitcoin protocol your node will run. If you agree with a certain BIP more so than another you can run your node with the included BIP and other miners will see that.

-
It's nice for sure. But you'll also need to include a (for now) 64GB memory card to host the full blockchain as that takes up around 54-55GB at current date. More ideal would be a 128GB memory card. It's impossible for me here in Europe to get the complete package for just $15.

I agree a 128 GB card is best for the future although at present I see it reported as 47 GB but it might be my accounting is off somewhere
https://www.quandl.com/data/BCHAIN/BLCHS-Bitcoin-Blockchain-Size

wuzamarine

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

derp

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 02:15:58 PM

Pi Zero looks great, however it's no good for running a node as it only has 512mb of RAM. I've been down the node route and you ideally want 2GB, but at least 1GB and limit connections.

Are you trying to mine on that node??     Cool
wuzamarine

Activity: 264

derp

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 02:21:16 PM

If you always wanted to run a Bitcoin node but did not want to spend $40 plus shipping on a Raspberry Pi, fear not because an even cheaper alternative is here. Today, the UK based company released the Raspberry Pi Zero, a brand new model priced at only $5. It includes a 1Ghz processor along with a Micro SD slot, USB outputs, HDMI output, and a few other components which are included in the other Raspberry Pi models.

Surprisingly, the tiny board is 40% faster than the original Raspberry Pi 1. At such a low price, you can setup a bitcoin node for about $15, factoring in shipping and the micro SD card costs. The Raspberry Pi Zero comes preinstalled with full Raspbian, along with an installation of Minecraft. The Pi Zero shows just how cheap computers are becoming, which is leading us into the next revolution – IOT.

Read More: http://themerkle.com/news/running-a-bitcoin-node-just-got-cheaper-with-the-5-raspberry-pi/

You can run FreeBSD out of the box, on 512mb and still have plenty of room.
That's without swap to.
With swap you can run apache, mysql and possibly bitcoind at the same time, without a problem (unless you drop in PEAR or some other high level memory hog)
sbogovac
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1192

I don't believe in denial.

View Profile
March 03, 2016, 10:11:51 PM

[...]
I agree a 128 GB card is best for the future although at present I see it reported as 47 GB but it might be my accounting is off somewhere https://www.quandl.com/data/BCHAIN/BLCHS-Bitcoin-Blockchain-Size

What about the feature of running bitcoin core 0.12 in pruned mode so you have to have room for only the UTxO blockchain (unspent outputs only)?
That's just about 2GB.

0x7442A5c37E513D335F53843cD20c00F77eAC7867
coinzat

Activity: 434

Young but I'm not that bold

View Profile
March 04, 2016, 10:15:36 PM

I do not think that raspberry pi zero will be efficient as a bitcoin with its limited features. If someone is looking for a cheap miner s/he should try the raspberry pi 2 as it has much more power and there is an OS called rokos core that has the bitcoin core wallet in it and the block chain will be in an external attached disk AFAIK.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: