Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:18:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Short presentation about Bitcoin (technical focus)  (Read 4074 times)
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 09:49:10 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2013, 08:24:53 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

I'll be giving a talk about Bitcoin to a group of people and have prepared a presentation for the occasion. It turned out not as bad as I intended so I thought I'd share. It's available at https://bitcoil.co.il/Bitcoin_Meni.pptx.

One of the requirements was to explain "how Bitcoin mathematics supports its features" so most of it deals with how transactions work and how the blockchain works.

Update: PDF version - https://bitcoil.co.il/Bitcoin_Meni.pdf.

A greatly expanded version:

https://bitcoil.co.il/Bitcoin%20Haifux.pptx
https://bitcoil.co.il/Bitcoin%20Haifux.pdf

A new presentation about mining: https://bitcoil.co.il/What%20is%20mining.pdf

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 03:02:51 AM

Very nice presentation Meni.
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 10:41:09 AM

Very nice presentation Meni.

+1

Specially liked the "Used as money". Even the folks that don't think bitcoins are money can agree to that.
DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 02:17:11 PM

+1

Very nice presentation. Concise and presented in logical order.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 03:45:01 PM

nice presentation!  succinct and clear.  i especially liked the diagrams illustrating tx's.  i learn something new everyday.
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 10:16:14 PM

Quote from: Albert Einstein
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Following that quote I'd say you understand Bitcoin very well.  Thanks for sharing it.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 10:27:03 PM

can't open pptx.  can you pdf

thanks.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 10:34:41 PM

Thanks for sharing! I am still learning the technological basics of bitcoin, and this presentation made a few things click.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 07:08:54 AM

Thank you for all the positive comments.

Of course, as with any presentation, much of the content is in what I intend to say orally. I wonder if there will be demand for a document based on the same principles, but more self-contained with more text.

can't open pptx.  can you pdf

thanks.
Added a pdf version: https://bitcoil.co.il/Bitcoin_Meni.pdf.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 01:58:16 PM

Can you video your talk with good sound quality? Never hurts to have another good video explaining bitcoin on you tube.  Thanks for the PDF.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 02:17:20 PM

Who is your audience by the way.

I think you should use peer to peer (and define that) instead of  p2p. I also think we have to move away from calling bitcoin public keys "addresses."  That leads to confusion and misunderstanding about how bit coin functions. There was a guy on the board recently who installed bitcoind, sent 50 BTC  to an address thinking his funds were safe in the block chain,  could not sync, deleted the whole set up including the wallet.dat then was asking how to retrieve his funds as he still had the "address". Another guy once asked me how to get the bitcoin I sent him out of the block chain.  And I can't tell you the number of new buyers who down load the client and immediately buy bitcoin not understanding that it can take a few day to download the blockchain and thus view or spend the new coin. So if this is a non technical, general interest audience please strive for clarity. To create greater adoption we have to move away from the techno-geek speak as a community continue to discuss and explain bitcoin in laymen's terms.  Just my 2c.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 02:53:10 PM

Can you video your talk with good sound quality? Never hurts to have another good video explaining bitcoin on you tube.  Thanks for the PDF.
It will probably be in Hebrew. I don't know what the venue will be like but I'll look at recording possibilities.

Who is your audience by the way.
It is ~15 guys at Oracle, who I presume are programmers.

I think you should use peer to peer (and define that) instead of p2p.
I doubt it will be necessary and this talk will be really crammed, every minute counts. I will however pronounce it "peer to peer".

I also think we have to move away from calling bitcoin public keys "addresses."  That leads to confusion and misunderstanding about how bit coin functions. There was a guy on the board recently who installed bitcoind, sent 50 BTC  to an address thinking his funds were safe in the block chain,  could not sync, deleted the whole set up including the wallet.dat then was asking how to retrieve his funds as he still had the "address". Another guy once asked me how to get the bitcoin I sent him out of the block chain.  And I can't tell you the number of new buyers who down load the client and immediately buy bitcoin not understanding that it can take a few day to download the blockchain and thus view or spend the new coin.
I don't see how the term "address" adds in any way to the confusion, on the contrary. How many times did you hear someone ask, "how can I read Bill Gates' emails? I have the address, bill@microsoft.com [note: probably not his real address]." People understand that an address is something public to which you send things, and that to actually have access you need some form of password. Likewise people don't expect to be able to spend someone's money by knowing his mailing address or bank account number.

In any case, a fool and his money are soon parted and there is no cure to arrogance and recklessness. Someone who buys/accepts bitcoins without making a minimal effort to understand how to use them can't complain for losing them. Publishing a concise "things you must know before using Bitcoin" is one way to help people. Using a different name for addresses is not.

Also, AFAIK this talk is intended to be some sort of "extracurricular education", the goal is not to convince people to go out and buy bitcoins, so the presentation is light in practical usage tips.

So if this is a non technical, general interest audience please strive for clarity. To create greater adoption we have to move away from the techno-geek speak as a community continue to discuss and explain bitcoin in laymen's terms.  Just my 2c.
I agree, presentations should be tailored to the target audience, which this one was.

On this note it's worth mentioning that there's a video of a talk I gave (in Hebrew) to a more general audience, it's loosely based on this which is also in Hebrew, but has an English translation here.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 03:04:58 PM

Thanks.  My concern is with inculcating an  audience new to bitcoin and probably without extensive technology knowledge (obviously not your case).

I do currently feel that calling the bitoin public key an "address" lets to initial confusion and misconceptions about the protocol.  I'd love to debate that further at a later date.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 03:39:33 PM

I added some notes to the slides.

World

Activity: 743

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 07:42:07 PM

What was the overall interest of the presentation?
Is there any chance of making presentation about BTC in Top 10 technical school in IL? thx

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 09:29:02 PM

Specially liked the "Used as money". Even the folks that don't think bitcoins are money can agree to that.

Nah, they'd equivocate and say it's used as currency.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 05:40:01 AM

What was the overall interest of the presentation?
The particular talk which prompted this presentation will be next week.

Is there any chance of making presentation about BTC in Top 10 technical school in IL? thx
Things like this are on the list but there are higher-priority items currently.

World

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 07:17:36 PM

well done made technical presentation in AT ,look for inspiration
DevFest Vienna 2012 - Introduction to BitcoinJ

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2013, 03:03:22 PM

For the January 2013 meetup I have prepared a presentation "What is mining?" - https://bitcoil.co.il/What%20is%20mining.pdf.

World

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 03:59:38 PM

For the January 2013 meetup I have prepared a presentation "What is mining?" - https://bitcoil.co.il/What%20is%20mining.pdf.
here is similar question on Reddit,may help
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/16lggw/what_is_mining_actually_doing/

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: