Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:53:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can I buy Bitcoins in the UK without having to go through lots of hassle?  (Read 1529 times)
Arrogance (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 11:23:13 AM

Hello,

I recently got in to Bitcoins and was wondering where I can buy some to start of with; I figured spending around £20-£50 on some coins to start up with just as an experiment wouldn't be too much and could be a lot of fun however all the links and sites I found while googling all have one of the same 3 problems.

1. Don't support selling to the UK
2. Ask for ridiculous amounts of Identification followed by a verification period (Not only do I not want to give out my ID to random sites online before even having explored the possibility of even using bit coins and it's also a 7 day process (yawn)
3. The above AND a ridiculous payment method; like Ping It, or something with £100+ minimum spend.

Ideally I was looking for a UK Bank transfer, paypal option, or something every day that doesn't take me a week to get involved; I figured I'd make a thread before I lose all interest in Bitcoin but is there any way to buy Bitcoins in the UK that allows one of these options? I'd even be willing to entertain mobile phone payment with it's ridiculous charges.

ty,
A

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 11:40:11 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119929.0

Arrogance (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 12:54:25 PM

That is not ideal; despite his good reports. I know I seem like a skeptic; but it'd be lovely to get in to bitcoins without taking a risk like that.
Might have to resort to it though, I'm sure he's trustworthy.
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 01:18:05 PM

I set up a Barclays Pingit account on my Android phone on Friday, linked my LloydsTSB current account to it (you don't need a Barclays account - any UK bank account will do), 'charged up' my Pingit account at a Barclays ATM and within minutes I had Bitcoin in a blockchain.info wallet I'd also just set up.  Rate's OK but it still works out pretty expensive with commission at almost 6%.

Tempted to try Pteppic next time.  Wire transfer to MtGox takes long at the best of times but feels like forever when the market's on the move!  Bitinstant had a service that links to your bank account but as helpful as they were in terms of comms after a few days of failing to get it to work the service was taken down and I haven't tried it since.  I'll be wanting to use localbitcoins.com too in the future.

My overall policy is to use MtGox for large transfers and for 'trading' but to try using other means, preferably dealing with individuals for day-to-day use.  This is because I see the dominance of MtGox as a weak point in  the bigger of the Bitcoin project at the moment.
Arrogance (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 03:19:43 PM

I set up a Barclays Pingit account on my Android phone on Friday, linked my LloydsTSB current account to it (you don't need a Barclays account - any UK bank account will do), 'charged up' my Pingit account at a Barclays ATM and within minutes I had Bitcoin in a blockchain.info wallet I'd also just set up.  Rate's OK but it still works out pretty expensive with commission at almost 6%.

Tempted to try Pteppic next time.  Wire transfer to MtGox takes long at the best of times but feels like forever when the market's on the move!  Bitinstant had a service that links to your bank account but as helpful as they were in terms of comms after a few days of failing to get it to work the service was taken down and I haven't tried it since.  I'll be wanting to use localbitcoins.com too in the future.

My overall policy is to use MtGox for large transfers and for 'trading' but to try using other means, preferably dealing with individuals for day-to-day use.  This is because I see the dominance of MtGox as a weak point in  the bigger of the Bitcoin project at the moment.

I really just want a website that is established where I can in-put my information and it'll sort it out.
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:00:03 PM

I really just want a website that is established where I can in-put my information and it'll sort it out.
Sorry, I didn't spot you'd already mentioned Pingit in your OP - but it is £250 max (£500 weekly?), not £100 as you stated - and personally I really like the combination of gadgetry and security features that it utilises.

Did you try Bitinstant's UseMyFunds service?  I'd be interested to know if it's up and running.  It's an interesting concept as they seem to access funds by logging onto our on-line banking through an API and transferring funds that way.  If I remember correctly UseMyFunds only works with NatWest or Barclays.

Whilst it is good that you are not minding paying a bit more to get the service you want (because it drives new innovation in service provision) you need to remember banks are not making it easy.  Until Barclays stopped taking money for MtGox you would have been able to make a simple transfer that way.  Intersango also used to offer a means of depositing pounds but I don't know what happened there. 

There are a good few people putting quite a lot into trying to make Bitcoin more easily accessible in order to facilitate growth and reduce the odds of the project going belly up.  In the meantime you're getting a few pointers here so a little thanks wouldn't go amiss before you complain the suggested solutions are not good enough for you.
BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:50:37 PM

The solutions given should be good enough for anyone except a PP scammer  Tongue

notthepuma

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 01:04:59 AM

I've started a new website to solve this exact problem.  Despite the name of the website, I have no problem selling to the UK.  Check it out and send me a PM or email to administrator@usd2btc.com if you are interested:

http://www.usd2btc.com.

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
Arrogance (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 03:30:53 PM

The solutions given should be good enough for anyone except a PP scammer  Tongue

Paypal was just a reference as one of the many online tools; Bitcoin's whole "thing" is that payments stay payed unlike paypal.
I'm already sorting something out with Ptep; I'll close this thread when I end up sorting it out, I'm looking at the alternate methods too.
scoobydaddy

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 10:15:47 PM

Hi , i would be interested in buying bitcoins through pteppic , but i currently cannot send PM's ,

I am also looking at using " local bitcoin " , i would be paying through bank transfer unless the seller lived very local , i see they have a feedback system but wondered how genuine the feedback was , i could see it being easy to manipulate
uk1
Copper Member

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 10:29:13 PM

try a local excange https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:Local
http://www.bitcoinmap.com/
http://www.tradebitcoin.com/  more uk ones on this

WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:45:02 AM

Made this guide: www.bitcoinuk.blogspot.com

So far the cheapest way that I found to buy btc from UK..

Hope it helps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: