Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:47:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC botnet: The new threat?  (Read 4230 times)
Jaw3bmasters (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Another block in the wall

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 12:11:09 PM

Currently, CPU botnets are pointless to mine bitcoin.

......I'm not sure if there's such a thing as GPU botnet...........

Will there be an ASIC botnet in the near future?.

In Cryptography we trust.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 12:33:34 PM

so infect people that own mining ASICs? it seems like a bit impossible as we are so few. GPU botnet is much more possible, every computer have a GPU capable of mining now.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
sippsnapp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 12:43:27 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2012, 01:04:35 PM by sippsnapp

There are gpu botnets but guess there are more lucrative ways for botherders. I think there is no faster way for loosing bots than spreading a miner. Only a douchebag would not take action when the pc gets extremely slow.

To understand that ASICS are not infected i suggest you research virus spreading techniques.

Πάντα ῥεῖ
Bitcoin + Altcoin node pool setup - pm
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 12:51:29 PM

There are gpu botnets but guess there are more lucrative ways for botherders. I think there is no faster way for lossing bots than sprading a miner. Only a douchebag would not take action when the pc gets extremely slow.

To understand that ASICS are not infected i suggest you research virus spreading techniques.
it not the ACISs that are gonna be infected, its the devices that control them(computers, beagle boards, ...) and then turn the into a botnet.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
sippsnapp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 01:00:33 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2012, 06:10:07 PM by sippsnapp

This is in every miners responsibility to take care the mining rig is resilent.

However, the only threat i see is a hacked pc where the wallet is installed, but this has nothign todo with ASICS.

If youre interested to understand this things, take a webserver and install a botnet on it, you will see that the options are very limited to loading files and logging data.

What an attacker could do, logging the botnet for bitcoin related words and sent a real RAT to the victims pcs that eventually could contain a wallet.
In this case, the victim would do an extreme fail to store the passphrase on the same pc, otherwie there is not much chance to compromise the wallet.

Please consider the chances of finding a bot with a wallet where the wallet key is stored on the same pc, the time effort is immense.

I repeated it a dozen times, put your wallet on a linux pc with a virtualbox, you could even play with an additonal router as hardware firewall.

One thing that i find much more intersting is blockchain.info ability to get the ip of wallets with high load of coins or the list of 500 richest wallets, the time effort to penetrate such a server/pc with a pentest is probably much less than the above mentioned threat.

Πάντα ῥεῖ
Bitcoin + Altcoin node pool setup - pm
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:21:54 PM

so infect people that own mining ASICs? it seems like a bit impossible as we are so few. GPU botnet is much more possible, every computer have a GPU capable of mining now.
I'd say the large majority of computers don't have GPUs capable of mining, or at least mining much faster than a CPU anyway.
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 04:51:37 PM

I'd say the large majority of computers don't have GPUs capable of mining, or at least mining much faster than a CPU anyway.
i think most computers newer then 2 years are capable of mining(maybe only a few mhash/s but still capable).

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 05:15:14 PM

i think most computers newer then 2 years are capable of mining(maybe only a few mhash/s but still capable).
You can CPU mine at a few MH/s. Intel is by far the largest provider of desktop and notebook GPUs, and before Ivy Bridge this year you couldn't even mine on an Intel GPU.  The percentage of computers sold even now that could mine at 50MH/s or above is way below 50%, let alone as a percentage of the installed base. Especially since those people with a pair of XFire 7970s is more likely to notice them running hard mining BTC than Gramma Ethel who uses her 4 year old computer to check emails.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 05:38:06 PM

The question is how? Most of these guys will be running Linux, and for those with Windows...you still need to download the virus and run it. Modifying the kernel without a known and unpatched exploit is also impossible, thus elevating the process to Administrator or SYSTEM is pretty much impossible.

Using a driver may work on x86 Windows, but not for x64 as every Windows x64 machine requires every driver to be digitally signed. Even if you somehow succeed, are the people who invested 30k for 1TH/s rigt going to be that stupid as to not notice their mining was redirected and there was no mining on the pool(charts, e-mail notification;dunno about solo).

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 05:54:03 PM

The question is how? Most of these guys will be running Linux, and for those with Windows...you still need to download the virus and run it.
are you saying a Linux system is unhackable? WRONG!!!

im a big linux fan, but your statement is just plain WRONG!

Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 06:11:13 PM

I can't confirm if it's hackable or not, just not that many people bother. With all the su/sudo things that need to be run...I just don't see it happening.
Of course, if you have a proof-of-concept way to hack Linux, please provide it to #linux on irc.freenode.net.

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 06:13:13 PM

I can't confirm if it's hackable or not, just not that many people bother. With all the su/sudo things that need to be run...I just don't see it happening.
too complex for me, me to stupid can't understand -> UNBREAKABLE!!!

your logic is failing.

Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 06:14:45 PM

your logic is failing.
You are picking a fight with the wrong person, and I shouldn't be the one to talk about comprehension when you failed to comprehend first grade English grammar.

Which brings me to my question, are you kano? He is an idiot and has the same avatar. Spells the same way. I can only imagine it's you.

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 06:24:43 PM

Of course, if you have a proof-of-concept way to hack Linux, please provide it to #linux on irc.freenode.net.
http://goo.gl/6ZByg
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 06:36:48 PM

your logic is failing.
You are picking a fight with the wrong person, and I shouldn't be the one to talk about comprehension when you failed to comprehend first grade English grammar.
LOL! U MAD?

i might not comprehend english grammar, but i seem to comprehend a bit more stuff then you do.

Which brings me to my question, are you kano? He is an idiot and has the same avatar. Spells the same way. I can only imagine it's you.
so every person you don't like, is teh same one? your logic is failing, dude. your logic is failing.

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 06:40:02 PM

This argument is mildly pointless.

An ASIC botnet? Bitcoin ASICs can be used for nothing but mining, subverting a machine used for one purpose will be quickly detected and rectified. It's not like a computer which can and will be left on for long periods of time, while idle.

You have your miner up and running, you expect it to give X performance. As soon as it doesn't do that, you check why. This would be a terrible "botnet".
Jaw3bmasters (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 08:36:08 PM

You have your miner up and running, you expect it to give X performance. As soon as it doesn't do that, you check why. This would be a terrible "botnet".

You're assuming regular folks won't one day be able to buy ASIC just as any plug-n-play devices at a reasonable price.

Shouldn't be too hard to code something to run only when idled or use x amount of resources.

Those hashing powers are probably enough to create something we've never seen before in terms of how far some people will go.

Ploo

Activity: 125

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 11:08:55 PM

Time to stop feeding the troll guys.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 02:46:38 AM

This argument is mildly pointless.

An ASIC botnet? Bitcoin ASICs can be used for nothing but mining, subverting a machine used for one purpose will be quickly detected and rectified. It's not like a computer which can and will be left on for long periods of time, while idle.

Precisely on point. The equipment purchased for my fund is something that will be monitored 24/7 to ensure overall stable revenue (after accounting for difficulty, etc). And ....

You're assuming regular folks won't one day be able to buy ASIC just as any plug-n-play devices at a reasonable price.

Shouldn't be too hard to code something to run only when idled or use x amount of resources.

.... won't be possible since A) the devices will never be idled and B) any variation in hashing rate will immediately draw my attention.

It's one thing to have a GPU in your system for multiple purposes that can be utilized without the owners consent...but to utilize a standalone device (outside your computer) that only does one thing without the owner's knowledge? Not very likely...

Jaw3bmasters (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:44:24 AM

.... won't be possible since A) the devices will never be idled and B) any variation in hashing rate will immediately draw my attention.

It's one thing to have a GPU in your system for multiple purposes that can be utilized without the owners consent...but to utilize a standalone device (outside your computer) that only does one thing without the owner's knowledge? Not very likely...

Will ASIC have it's own OS?

If not, then it's possible to own a machine with ASIC already attached.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: