Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 01:27:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get lost BTC by wallet error  (Read 835 times)
ciputra (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 03:17:32 AM

Hi everyone,

I sent BTC from 50btc to my wallet but for some reasons (I don't know) my wallet was in trouble, it was "catching up" for days and I saw no block downloading. I deleted that old wallet and installed a new one and I realize it's so stupid I can't receive my BTC because the new wallet has the new addresses.

Now I only have the address I sent BTC to but I don't know how to get that BTC.

Please someone help me with this problem.

Thank you.

Ciputra
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 03:21:43 AM

If you've deleted the wallet, then I'm sorry but you've lost the BTC.

The Bitcoin addresses are no good, you need the private keys for those addresses which are in the wallet file.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 03:23:25 AM

if you deleted the old wallet there is no way to recover the funds unless you recover the deleted wallet.dat file.  If that is the case I would stop working on you computer ans seek to recover the deleted data from this disk das a deleted file my be recovered but not if it get overwritten with new data.

are you certain you deleted the origional wallet.dat file.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 03:23:29 AM

If you don't have a backup of your old wallet the funds are gone forever.

The public address doesn't allow you to control funds.  Remember anyone can see any address in the network.  Simply knowing the public address doesn't allow you to move/spend funds.  For that you need the secret PRIVATE key in the wallet.dat

Sorry man.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 03:35:25 AM

I had $500 and put it in an envelope.  The envelope was sealed closed, so I tossed it into the fireplace and burned it up.  Then I went and got a new envelope that was empty.  I know what the burned up envelope looked like, someone please help me get my $500 back?

In other words, I'm really sorry, but if you are working with an amount of money that is significant to you, you really need to be careful about what you are doing and not make assumptions.  Otherwise you can end up regretting your actions if you destroy access to the money.

If you have a friend or family member who you trust who is very adept with computers, you *might* be able to recover the deleted wallet.dat file.  Computer systems don't always destroy the file when you delete it, many times they just lose track of where on your hard drive the file is stored.  The longer you wait and the more that you use the computer, the more likely it is that the computer will overwrite your wallet.dat file with something else, and then you won't be able to recover it at all.

If you can recover the deleted wallet.dat file, you can still get your coins.  If your computer has overwritten the file, and you can no longer recover it, then you need to accept that the coins are gone and unrecoverable forever.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 03:41:16 AM

he's not replying because he shut off his computer and is removing the hard drive.

Good luck!
ciputra (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:08:58 AM

Thank you guys for answering my question. I will try to recover the wallet.dat file. Hope I can get it back. Wow, lesson learned but with pain Cheesy.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:11:55 AM

I had $500 and put it in an envelope.  The envelope was sealed closed, so I tossed it into the fireplace and burned it up.

did you back it up first?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: