Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:22:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A newbie asks - how many % of your disposable money have you in BTC?  (Read 4791 times)
goldlyre (OP)

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 08:16:34 AM

I'm a newcomer and it's my first post here.

I'm a newbie in this BTC thing, and till now I've put 1/20th of my disposable money (for investment purpose) in Bitcoin. To be exact, I bought them directly from a BTC exchange - BtcChina, instead of mining hard all day long with the sophisticated equipments. Yes, your guessing is right, I'm a Chinese people buying BTC with the local currency CNY.

My question now is that how many % of your disposable money have you already in BTC? Is 1/20th too small? thanks.
goldlyre (OP)

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 08:28:52 AM

test 4 pic
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 08:56:38 AM

I have all of my savings in bitcoin, but then again I can afford to lose it all. I would still say at this point only put in what you can afford to lose.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 09:01:46 AM

I have a few months expenses in dollars, most of the rest in coins.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 09:26:08 AM

A lot .....    but im prepared to lose it.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 09:28:55 AM

My question now is that how many % of your disposable money have you already in BTC?
100%, but I have a stable income and enough fiat for day-to-day expenses, so I don't have anything to worry about if there's another massive crash and the value of my bitcoin holdings goes down the toilet (instead, I see crashes as an opportunity to buy cheap coins).

Is 1/20th too small?
That depends entirely on how much you're willing to risk. If your financial situation is very secure, to the point where losing most of your money would not really cause you any great inconvenience, then you might be willing to risk most or all of your money on bitcoins. Otherwise, you need to think very carefully about exactly how much money you can afford to lose without it being a major problem. Do not invest any more than you can afford to lose.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 09:31:04 AM

These guys have insane risk-tolerance. One-twentieth is plenty. I suggest also putting a much smaller amount in any compelling alternative coins you may come across.
picobit

Activity: 547

Decor in numeris

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:27:17 AM

To be exact, I bought them directly from a BTC exchange - BtcChina, instead of mining hard all day long with the sophisticated equipments.
So you are a sensible person! Smiley

My question now is that how many % of your disposable money have you already in BTC? Is 1/20th too small? thanks.
Around 2%  

Bitcoin may crash tomorrow.  Or it may make us rich (no, I don't really believe it will, but it could happen).

Until that happens, it is a fun and elegant experiment.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 11:47:21 AM

I got mine essentially for free...back when CPU mining was do-able. I mined 200 coins in one night on my laptop...Bitcoin grew so rapidly that after the next difficulty change (which was like a week after I started mining), I was way way out classed and unable to mine...so I forgot about my coins until just before the crash. I sold some as we had become unexpectedly acutely poor due to health issues with my daughter and I am very grateful they became worth something. I don't actively put money in Bitcoin, but I consider not spending the coins I have left as my investment (and as a resident physician, my 500 BTC is a huge investment for me).

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 12:49:36 PM

Welcome!

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 01:23:14 PM

Depending on how you do the calculation, I have a few percent of my money in BTC, but no more than 5%.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 02:29:15 PM

About 50%. I bought bitcoins early on and they appreciated quite a bit (about 15 fold). Seeing my stock portfolio plummet in recent years, it'd be daft to sell them.
BladeMcCool

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:20:51 PM

for me its about 70% gold, 25% silver, 5% bitcoin
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:22:48 PM

Around 2%  

Also 2% here.  Somewhat depends on what is meant by disposable.  If I ignore semi-liquid items, the amount rises up to 5%.  Small enough to avoid committing suicide if price goes to zero, large enough to make me a retiree if price goes to $1000.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 05:28:39 PM

I think a small percentage is the best strategy.  If bitcoin continues it's rise then even a small buy will become a valuable asset. If it fails then you have lost little. If you can be disciplined, then use your coins to make more coins and cash out your original investment. That's what I did and now I use my profits for buying more bitcoin. I have zero dollars invested at this point, and I still have a bunch of bitcoin.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 05:39:36 PM

I've said before on this forum that it's premature to use bitcoins as a form of savings, but as the number of places where you can spend them increases the balances begins to shift to the other side. Another thing I look at is the possibility of (even more) draconian capital controls coming to the developed economies. There's something to be said for keeping your savings in a form that's resistant to being seized or frozen even at the risk of an unfavorable shift in the exchange rate.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 05:53:20 PM

for me its about 70% gold, 25% silver, 5% bitcoin

Sounds about right, if you don't mind me asking do you have the money for metals in bullion or futures?
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 07:42:41 PM

To be exact, I bought them directly from a BTC exchange - BtcChina, instead of mining hard all day long with the sophisticated equipments.
So you are a sensible person! Smiley

Around 2%  

Bitcoin may crash tomorrow.  Or it may make us rich (no, I don't really believe it will, but it could happen).

Until that happens, it is a fun and elegant experiment.

I too think bitcoin is all or nothing in ten years. Better hold a smaller amount in btc and mix some gold and etfs/stocks in your portfolio. Also real estate if you can afford or real estate etfs/stocks.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 08:02:46 PM

57% Bitcoin and 43% wind turbine shares. However with the changing rates and my new job yielding lots of new investment money it is changing rapidly. Until very recently I was a poor student so its really less crazy risk taking and more starting somewhere.

I keep as little as possible in fiat.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 12:12:50 AM

2%
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All