Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:26:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A newbie asks - how many % of your disposable money have you in BTC?  (Read 4783 times)
goldlyre (OP)

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 02:12:49 AM

Thanks a lot for all your replies upstairs. I'm also a PM stacker and my portfolio roughly includes 10% in gold and 40% in silver - all of them in physical bullions - as well as 25% or so in realties and 15% in numerous investments like antique items and the Paper Silver (which is most liquid) etc., with the remainder 5% in Bitcoin. Now I am considering whether or not I should sell part of my Paper Silver (a trading protocol sponsered by a big bank to closely following the silver price) position and then use the money to add more bitcoins to my present holdings. What's your opinion? Your comments shall be greatly appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BladeMcCool

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 02:14:11 AM

for me its about 70% gold, 25% silver, 5% bitcoin

Sounds about right, if you don't mind me asking do you have the money for metals in bullion or futures?

I have the metals as physical bullion. IMO if you don't hold it, you don't own it Wink
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 02:34:19 AM

50% Real Estate, 45% Bitcoin, 5% Litecoin
So if you don't count the equity in the real estate, then I have 90% of my money in Bitcoin and 10% in Litecoin. Almost none in bank $
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 02:58:42 AM

Sounds like some smart investors/money managers here.

Oh, and I hold PMs, bitcoins, litecoins, and still fiat. The percentages (mostly for fiat) vary depending on what I'm working on.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:00:54 AM

I used to smoke Cohiba’s and realized about a year ago how expensive smoking really is. I didn’t stop because it was killing me. I knew that already but I loved them. I stopped because Quicken told me how much I spent at the Cigar Shop in a year and I almost fell off my chair. You don’t think about it when you buy them one at a time. I was also addicted to coffee and would stop everyday and buy an expensive coffee drink. Now, I take all the money that I would have wasted killing myself and buy bitcoins with it. I’m not really out anything because that money would have gone “up in smoke” anyway. Even if Bitcoin eventually becomes worthless I’m not really out anything.

If you are on the fence about throwing money at btc or how much you should spend, I suggest giving up a bad habit and buying coin with it. Drinking soft drinks is bad for you. If you drink two a day and buy them from a machine how many coins could you buy in a month with that money?

helloworld

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:06:23 AM

If you drink two a day and buy them from a machine how many coins could you buy in a month with that money?

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:13:53 AM

I have about 1% and I am a big believer in Bitcoin. I might eventually go higher.

People with 5%, 10%, 50%, or more need to learn how to manage their money better: they are exposing themselves to a lot financial risk, or they don't have nearly enough savings, or both.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:13:53 AM

If you drink two a day and buy them from a machine how many coins could you buy in a month with that money?

10.6 btc and better teeth for doing it. Sounds like a good deal. LOL

acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:27:42 AM

I have about 1% and I am a big believer in Bitcoin. I might eventually go higher.

People with 5%, 10%, 50%, or more need to learn how to manage their money better: they are exposing themselves to a lot financial risk, or they don't have nearly enough savings, or both.

If they can't afford to lose it then yes. However, the fiat system currently discourages savings (and encourages consumption and debt). Most people have lots of debt with little to no savings... If you have savings at all, in general, you're doing quite well.
helloworld

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:30:43 AM

If they can't afford to lose it then yes. However, the fiat system currently discourages savings (and encourages consumption and debt). Most people have lots of debt with little to no savings... If you have savings at all, in general, you're doing quite well.

To me, having only 1% in bitcoin sounds extremely risky. You run the risk of missing out big time if bitcoin takes over the world.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:40:57 AM

To me, having only 1% in bitcoin sounds extremely risky. You run the risk of missing out big time if bitcoin takes over the world.

No, I don't think it's risky. I think having 0% is.

Bitcoin is at an unbelievably early stage, still. There are only 21 million bitcoins, yet the world population is almost 7 billion. Bitcoin doesn't need to take over the world. It can just make a tiny tiny dent and have ridiculous ROI. I've stated before I think having as few as 10 bitcoins can make someone a millionaire in fiat terms (that means 1 BTC = $100K). That currently costs about $100.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:43:28 AM

I mine a little for almost free, because my mining hardware has been paid in full by selling BTC while they worth less than a dollar.  Actually, my mining income are very little.

I buy BTC each month for 5% of my total income.  Can't buy more, but the 5% of all income I use to buy BTC is investement that I know can be a total lost overnight.

I truly believe in a nice BTC future, and the coins I buy/mine are to pay for more ASIC in the next months or so.

I love to mine some, as I can spent those, knowing that what I buy is equivalent cost of my mining power cost.

Also, betting on BetsOfBitco.in is gambling that I like Smiley
helloworld

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:44:25 AM

Bitcoin is at an unbelievably early stage, still. There are only 21 million bitcoins, yet the world population is over 7 billion. Bitcoin doesn't need to take over the world. It can just make a tiny tiny dent and have ridiculous ROI. I've stated before I think having as few a 10 bitcoins can make someone a millionaire in fiat terms (that means 1 BTC = $100K). That currently costs about $100.

You're probably right.

However, I personally believe that becoming a millionaire, when you could have become a billionaire, is risky.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:52:56 AM

IMO, BTC will appreciated a lot more, I mean incredible appreciation, within 10 years, they are very young and strong.. I'm willing to bet BTC will win over any other mean of investment in a ten year time frame.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 03:54:39 AM

Bitcoin is at an unbelievably early stage, still. There are only 21 million bitcoins, yet the world population is over 7 billion. Bitcoin doesn't need to take over the world. It can just make a tiny tiny dent and have ridiculous ROI. I've stated before I think having as few a 10 bitcoins can make someone a millionaire in fiat terms (that means 1 BTC = $100K). That currently costs about $100.

You're probably right.

However, I personally believe that becoming a millionaire, when you could have become a billionaire, is risky.

Well, I can't argue with that.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 04:09:50 AM

Thanks a lot for all your replies upstairs. I'm also a PM stacker and my portfolio roughly includes 10% in gold and 40% in silver - all of them in physical bullions - as well as 25% or so in realties and 15% in numerous investments like antique items and the Paper Silver (which is most liquid) etc., with the remainder 5% in Bitcoin. Now I am considering whether or not I should sell part of my Paper Silver (a trading protocol sponsered by a big bank to closely following the silver price) position and then use the money to add more bitcoins to my present holdings. What's your opinion? Your comments shall be greatly appreciated.

Well, based on this it's like you already have an awesome new sports car and you're just figuring out which polish to use.

I believe people who have the majority or all of their wealth only in paper assets, such as fiat currencies, stocks, retirement funds, etc. will lose out big time in the near future.

People who have a decent part of their wealth stored in precious metals will do very well, much better in comparison. People who ALSO have some of their wealth in crypto-currencies like Bitcoin will probably do even better than that. The only way to do even better than that is also have a bit of viable alternative crypto-currency like Litecoin.

The majority of people will only be in paper assets, so to be diversified past that you're already way ahead. Now, you're simply figuring out how much farther ahead.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 04:36:44 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2012, 04:55:39 AM by odolvlobo

I've stated before I think having as few as 10 bitcoins can make someone a millionaire in fiat terms (that means 1 BTC = $100K). That currently costs about $100.
If $100 is 5% of your savings, then you aren't saving enough.

Someone holding a lot of BTC also has to consider that they might be wrong about their prediction and what the impact of that will be.

I buy BTC each month for 5% of my total income.  Can't buy more, but the 5% of all income I use to buy BTC is investement that I know can be a total lost overnight.
Ok, 5% goes into BTC, but how much goes into other savings? Where would you be if bitcoin evaporated and then you lost your job?

IMO, BTC will appreciated a lot more, I mean incredible appreciation, within 10 years, they are very young and strong.. I'm willing to bet BTC will win over any other mean of investment in a ten year time frame.
But how much are you willing to bet, and what if you are wrong?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
helloworld

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 04:54:00 AM

I think you've mis-quoted everybody there.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 06:36:02 AM

You're probably right.

It's not just that, if you've got a very small % and that's your rule you'll be selling all the way up and even if the value of bitcoin goes up 10000x from here you'll potentially get 100x or less on 1-5% of your wealth, which is nice but you are missing a lot of the value due you if you've really figured bitcoin out this early. A rule of 1% of what you have now and never sell doesn't really work either since... you'll never actually benefit in any material way.

A high % and keep that % roughly constant is the way to go imo. I violated that during the bubble/peak to my detriment. Selling down to my previous % would have protected my stash all through 2012, but as it happened I had to sell quite a bit.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
goldlyre (OP)

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 10:31:11 AM

If bitcoin went to da moon tomorrow, those who heavily in BTC would become as rich as the Tsar.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: