Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:13:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: give me a paystub  (Read 1821 times)
frisco2 (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 265

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 08:48:25 AM

Hello,

I am a freelancer, looking to sign a corp-to-corp agreement with a USA company.  I don't have a company of my own, and don't want to register one. Looking for someone with a company in software business who can receive the payment and transfer it to me after converting to Bitcoin. Please contact me at https://forms.hush.com/boris

Boris

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:41:38 AM

Sounds legit....

Of course there's that pesky problem of fraud.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:19:56 PM

I don't follow you -- what does advanced fee has to do with this? The only one at risk here is me because I must count on the guy sending me my bitcoin. (He will take out some agreed upon fee of course).

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:27:04 PM

Sounds legit....

This is not fraud.
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:30:25 PM

What does the software business have to do with it? I mean if you want to send me money to buy bitcoins, I will be happy to help you with that lol I do it for customers in 3 different countries out side of the USA right now and most of them pay with CC and purchase over 1K at a time.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:32:34 PM

Sounds legit....

This is not fraud.

Well it is fraud and it is incredibly stupid and risky.

A contract is a contract.  The contract for this unknown third party would be signed by the "parent company".  The company opens itself up to unlimited liability for a unknown third party outside their control.  For example if the OP stole from a client, delivered substandard work, or ran off with an advance who is going to be left holding the bag?  The company who signed the contract like an idiot of course.

By reporting to clients that this unknown third party is an employee the company is also lying to the clients.  Simple version: "lying for profit" = fraud. The company by making false statements makes it impossible for the client to accurately determine risk.  When you make false statements that others rely upon it makes you liable for damages they suffer. 

Given the cost to from an LLC in most states is about $50, can be done online in about 30 minutes, and you can get a bank account, TaxID, and everything else necessary in about a weekend it doesn't really make any sense.
jwzguy

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:42:12 PM

I think you're referring to a different situation than I am. Having a software company temporarily hire you and accept contracts for you to work on is not lying or fraud, and it's a very common practice. That's all I was saying. I didn't get the impression this guy was looking for someone to lie about anything.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:44:44 PM

I think you're referring to a different situation than I am. Having a software company temporarily hire you and accept contracts for you to work on is not lying or fraud, and it's a very common practice. That's all I was saying. I didn't get the impression this guy was looking for someone to lie about anything.

Well, that's the idea...
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:46:10 PM

I think you're referring to a different situation than I am. Having a software company temporarily hire you and accept contracts for you to work on is not lying or fraud, and it's a very common practice.

This is not at all what's happening here. He wants a corporation as "representative" so he can hire out to another corp as a "freelancer-disguised-as-a-corp".
jwzguy

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:47:21 PM

Well, that's the idea...
As far as I see, he wants to get paid in Bitcoins. He doesn't say anything about lying.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:48:50 PM

When you hire an employee you become liable for their actions. The OP didn't seem to indicate he wanted to actually BE an employee (i.e. held accountable by the employer, employer double check contracts and work, hold wages to ensure employee delivers good work, etc).  He just wanted to pretend he is an employee.  If the company aids in that deception it is fraud.

The company signing the contract would be liable for any damages suffered by clients as a result of the company failure to fulfill the contract.  If the company doesn't disclose that the person doing the work wasn't actually an employee then they are also liable for any damages suffered by the client as a result of that misrepresentation.   Also any client would be stupid to accept a contract based on a shared lie.  If both parties know the contract is false (because OP really isn't an employee) then the contract has no value.   Thus it really is only useful for the OP if the company DOES lie.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:49:16 PM

Well, that's the idea...
As far as I see, he wants to get paid in Bitcoins. He doesn't say anything about lying.
Why would he?
jwzguy

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 04:56:30 PM

Either way the company signing the contract is liable.  They are liable because they are liable for the actions of their real employees or they are liable because they made a false contract.
I'm well aware of that and never contradicted you. That's part of what they get paid for.

But all of you guys are making assumptions about the terms of the contract and this request.
It's not automatically "fraud" just because you've come up with some situation where it could be.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 07:51:20 PM

Given the cost to from an LLC in most states is about $50, can be done online in about 30 minutes, and you can get a bank account, TaxID, and everything else necessary in about a weekend it doesn't really make any sense.

That is exactly right.

Having a software company temporarily hire you and accept contracts for you to work on is not lying or fraud, and it's a very common practice.

You're thinking of the situation where you actually know who you're hiring. This doesn't seem to be what's happening here. As far as we can see, the whole offer is, "I will transfer some money to your bank account from some other bank account and you send this money to me as irreversible, anonymous BTC."

Probably best to err on the side of caution, but obviously YMMV.

(Obviously, I didn't say it was fraud, I just pointed out that problem. It's you who said it is not fraud, and indeed that conclusion can't be jumped to.)

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 08:25:01 PM

This proposal shares all of the elements of "let me send you a check, you cash it, and send me the proceeds" scams.

It is an unusual requirement for a company to engage the services of a freelancer but require them to do business under the umbrella of a US corporation.  Most businesses would be happy paying an individual with nothing more than a tax ID number and an invoice at the most, if his or her services were deemed needed, as this meets all their accounting requirements.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 09:14:35 AM

I will spell it out for you -- it is a form of legal tax avoidance, which I support and am very interested in. I don't mind becoming a legal employee of that company, if I can arrange that I will pay less taxes.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 03:22:01 PM

I will spell it out for you -- it is a form of legal tax avoidance, which I support and am very interested in. I don't mind becoming a legal employee of that company, if I can arrange that I will pay less taxes.

I am skeptical of this claim as well. Being an employee, they will deduct taxes, and will be subject to other taxes and expenses on top of your pay.  Being a contractor they probably won't. Your client paying you directly in BTC is way less risky than the employment charade you are asking for.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
jwzguy

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 04:08:28 PM

There's no such thing as legal tax avoidance - have you seen the tax code lately? It's about 2 feet thick and filled with contradictions.

If they want to put you in jail, they will. End of story.

frisco2 (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 06:49:57 PM

Your client paying you directly in BTC is way less risky than the employment charade you are asking for.

But my client has to report the expense somehow, no matter whats the method of payment (could be cash) -- he needs a company name.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 09:11:55 PM

Your client paying you directly in BTC is way less risky than the employment charade you are asking for.

But my client has to report the expense somehow, no matter whats the method of payment (could be cash) -- he needs a company name.

That's not true.  US companies can pay individuals, requiring at the very most a US taxpayer identification number, sending you IRS form W-9 to collect it.

Any non-US citizen can fill out IRS form W-7 to get a US taxpayer identification number.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: