Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:09:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Libertarianism was created by big business lobbyists  (Read 23901 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 08:12:14 PM

People don't want to live in a cage.

That whooshing sound you heard? Yeah... that was the point, as you flew straight past it.

Actually, you're the one who just heard the whoosh. The cartoon is designed to make people think that government is going to put us all in a cage. Thus, if we believe in government, we must want to end up in a cage. Obviously we don't want to be in a cage, and yet we do still believe in government, so there is some disconnect going on there. Who are the deluded? The reality is, it's the paranoid individuals who think most of today's democracies are on the verge of becoming fascist governments.

The cartoon is only really applicable to the paranoid delusionals to share among themselves in contexts such as this.

Still digging, I see. No, the cartoon is intended to point out that dissenters get caged.

No shit. Typically liberal hippie types who like music and the arts and peace and love for everyone. Liberals. The opposite of libertarians, who want to crap on the little guy. Thus the cartoon loses its bite.

Your logical fallacy is...

Let's keep this up. This is fun! Anyone else want to play "Find the fallacy" with me?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:13:18 PM

art peace love liberal: About 4,910,000 results (0.61 seconds)

art peace love libertarian: 4 results, and then it says "Results for similar searchs" with about 1,120,000 results.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 08:18:59 PM

art peace love libertarian: 4 results, and then it says "Results for similar searchs" with about 1,120,000 results.

Ooh! A new one!

This really is quite fun. Like playing Whack-a-mole with fallacies. Whack-a-fallacy.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:47:04 PM

Ooh! A new one!

This really is quite fun. Like playing Whack-a-mole with fallacies. Whack-a-fallacy.

Yeah, that's the first time I've ever seen a popularty/bandwagon argument used on an Internet forum, although it's a pretty common one to be used by my wife's family.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 08:51:53 PM

Ooh! A new one!

Yeah, that's the first time I've ever seen a popularty/bandwagon argument used on an Internet forum, although it's a pretty common one to be used by my wife's family.

It's certainly the first time I've seen him use it. (Other than, of course, his constant reliance on Democracy.)

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:56:09 PM

Ooh! A new one!

It's certainly the first time I've seen him use it. (Other than, of course, his constant reliance on Democracy.)

Hmm, yeah I guess faith in democracy would be a special case of this.  I wonder if simply referencing opinion polls would qualify, since I've done this one myself. I know that polls don't actually count as an argument, but I wonder if there is a finely definable limit as to what their usefulness as supporting evidence actually is.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:56:32 PM

What makes anyone actually think the interpretation of this cartoon is the foundation for anything that qualifies as rigorous argument?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 08:59:58 PM

What makes anyone actually think the interpretation of this cartoon is the foundation for anything that qualifies as rigorous argument?

You attempted to base an argument on your interpretation of the cartoon. Ergo, you implicitly agree that the interpretation of the cartoon is a basis for argument.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:00:35 PM

No one, but it's fun to watch you guys flop around.

Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 09:09:58 PM

Here is the deal: statists will say any lie to prevent the truth of what the state does from being discovered and propagated.  When they run out of lies, they switch to the tactic of insulting. At this point, their sociopathic tendencies are pretty obvious from their behavior. Their whole goal (even as they are not aware of it) is to sabotage any thought that might expose their belief system as sociopathic. That is why they spare no vitriol for voluntarism. This is why they patrol the forums like desperate lemmings, looking for opportunities to shout down any idea that threatens their clique.

Once you understand this as their goal, their character as unwitting saboteurs playing out an emotional script programmed into them through abuse, my job becomes much easier. I am not out to convince the sociopaths - that would be sisyphean and futile because someone else broke them beyond repair already - I am only out to have them expose themselves.

Just ask a few questions, laugh at the right idiocies, and the sociopaths will do the rest of the job of neutralizing themselves.

Remmmber that these asshats are out to sabotage you through anger baiting.  This is why the ignore button is so effective too.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:17:39 PM

Here is the deal: statists will say any lie to prevent the truth of what the state does from being discovered and propagated.  When they run out of lies, they switch to the tactic of insulting. At this point, their sociopathic tendencies are pretty obvious from their behavior. Their while goal (even as they are not aware of it) is to sabotage any thought that might expose their belief system as sociopathic. That is why they spare no vitriol for voluntarism.

Once you understand this as their goal, their character as ebwitting saboteurs, my job becomes much easier. I am not out to convince the sociopaths - that would be sisyphean and futile - I am only out to have them expose themselves.

Just rrk a few questions, laugh at the right idiocies, and the sociopaths will do the rest of the job of neutralizing themselves.

While correct, that's still trolling; you know that, right?

Rudd-O, I often cring when you jump into a conversation, because I both tend to find your participation to be both provocative & content-lite, as well as often arguing on my own side.  As a moderator, I find this to be an aggravation.  For while I often find your comments funny, they usually lack any particular merit.  This very comment is more civil than your norm, but otherwise typical.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 09:25:06 PM

Just ask a few questions, laugh at the right idiocies, and the sociopaths will do the rest of the job of neutralizing themselves.

Is it still trolling if you troll the trolls?

Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 09:28:28 PM

It's "trolling" when I say the truth. It "isn't trolling" when he calls me names, or OP posts a slanderous fabrication that will anger many libertarians.

Remember when I spoke about the tactic of insulting? OK, so... there you go.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:42:28 PM

The answer is in the question.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:44:01 PM

It's "trolling" when I say the truth. It "isn't trolling" when he calls me names, or OP posts a slanderous fabrication that will anger many libertarians.

Remember when I spoke about the tactic of insulting? OK, so... there you go.

You are proving my point.  And no, responding to slanderous fabrications with more of the same isn't helping.

bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 10:11:48 PM

Ooh! A new one!

Hmm, yeah I guess faith in democracy would be a special case of this.  I wonder if simply referencing opinion polls would qualify, since I've done this one myself. I know that polls don't actually count as an argument, but I wonder if there is a finely definable limit as to what their usefulness as supporting evidence actually is.

You could do this with bayes rule if there is a well defined hypothesis. The importance of the poll will be inverse to the amount of actual data there is. Most stuff people argue about there is weak data for (any data about politics will have small sample size and a huge number of possible confounds), so subjective opinions (prior probabilities), which will vary from person to person, end up being very important to the final conclusions we draw.
Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 10:17:58 PM

Ooh! A new one!

Hmm, yeah I guess faith in democracy would be a special case of this.  I wonder if simply referencing opinion polls would qualify, since I've done this one myself. I know that polls don't actually count as an argument, but I wonder if there is a finely definable limit as to what their usefulness as supporting evidence actually is.

You could do this with bayes rule if there is a well defined hypothesis. The importance of the poll will be inverse to the amount of actual data there is. Most stuff people argue about there is weak data for (any data about politics will have small sample size and a huge number of possible confounds), so subjective opinions (prior probabilities), which will vary from person to person, end up being very important to the final conclusions we draw.

I prefer my polls futarchical.  When people put up money they could lose, they think much, much harder before opening their traps.  Also, futarchy naturally rewards those who are right, at the expense of those who are wrong.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 12:48:31 AM

People don't want to live in a cage.

That whooshing sound you heard? Yeah... that was the point, as you flew straight past it.

Actually, you're the one who just heard the whoosh. The cartoon is designed to make people think that government is going to put us all in a cage. Thus, if we believe in government, we must want to end up in a cage. Obviously we don't want to be in a cage, and yet we do still believe in government, so there is some disconnect going on there. Who are the deluded? The reality is, it's the paranoid individuals who think most of today's democracies are on the verge of becoming fascist governments.

The cartoon is only really applicable to the paranoid delusionals to share among themselves in contexts such as this.

Still digging, I see. No, the cartoon is intended to point out that dissenters get caged.

Which one are you, in this case? The dissenter or the one doing the caging?

Perhaps you should ask yourself, which one would you rather be? Wink

The bird.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 12:51:28 AM

Then let me rephrase:
Is it still murder if you kill a murderer?

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 12:58:23 PM

Then let me rephrase:
Is it still murder if you kill a murderer?

Depends upon the conditions, of course, since the very word "murder" implys an unjust killing.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: