Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 09:45:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is an ex-change (cryptoxchange closes shop)  (Read 5154 times)
greyhawk (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 02:18:42 PM

It has done its last trade. It's six figures under.

http://www.cryptoxchange.com/blog/21/crypto-x-change-suspending-trading-and-returning-client-funds

Aren't cryptoxchange and bitcoinpolice virtually identical? How is this going to play out when they eventually run like everyone runs? Are they gonna grab their own dicks and yell "You are arrested for being too sexy?"
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 02:43:59 PM

Where did you see they are six figures under (as in a net loss of $100K)?

I wish I could say I am surprised.  Crypto was pretty good exchange back in the early part of this year.  Although their trading interface always sucked and bank wires took too much manual "checking" and "prodding", when MtGox delays went insane (14+ days for bank wire, 30+ days for Dwolla) they were a good alternative.

However around this summer we pull all our business.  We had too many delayed wires and the delays got longer and longer.  The last wire I made required posting a scam accusation and about two weeks.  I knew they were in the long slow death after that.  Watching the bitcoincharts you could see liquidity and volume (the lifeblood of an exchange) dry up to almost nothing.   When bitfloor ramped up volume in the fall it was the final blow.  

I think in the last 30 days crypto probably made ~$100 in trading fees (based on reported volume).  A long fall from the second largest exchange.   Not really sure what happened.   Poor management?  Internal fraud?  Got hacked and hid it by doing some fractional reserves?  I guess we will never know.
greyhawk (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 02:47:46 PM

Where did you see they are six figures under (as in a net loss of $100K)?

It was a Monty Python Parrot Sketch reference.

They are also really six figures under, or rather one of their victims is: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85977.0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 02:51:45 PM

---------> Joke

Me

Smiley  Too early and not enough stimulants in my system yet.
greyhawk (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 02:55:24 PM

---------> Joke

Me

Smiley  Too early and not enough stimulants in my system yet.

They DO sell coffee for bitcoins now.  Cheesy

But with BTC track records, one wouldn't know if it ever arrives, or when it arrives, if it's not really coffee but cute little pebbles painted brown.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 02:56:33 PM

That's where I had all my Namecoins sent I forgot about until today.

noooo....  Cheesy
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 05:14:05 PM

Will they continue to operate Mr. Bitcoins or will that be closing as well?  (That already lost TrustCash so no USD funding method, and they haven't done INR trading for a while either.)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 10:42:02 PM

As I have said before, when you limit withdrawal options you get unusually high sell prices.  They look great until you realize it is hard to get money out.  The high price deters anyone who wants to buy coins and the lack of withdrawal options deters anyone who wants to sell coins.

They refused to offer a Dwolla or Paypal withdrawal option and that was the big problem.  The bank fee was too high making the exchange less usable for anyone doing small volumes. 

Hasimir

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 05:06:39 AM

Aren't cryptoxchange and bitcoinpolice virtually identical?

No.  I think you might be confusing Bitcoin Police with something else, possibly Mr. Bitcoin.

OpenPGP/GPG key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D  I provide GPG Training services
IRC nick: Hasimir (Freenode and elsewhere)
BTC address: 19hiwsQq7xMAEyQMdiyGjkMGNmpN6GA5wL
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 05:20:17 AM

They refused to offer a Dwolla or Paypal withdrawal option and that was the big problem.  The bank fee was too high making the exchange less usable for anyone doing small volumes. 

I don't blame any exchange for not offering Dwolla or PayPal - they only way you can mitigate risk with them is to put a hard limit on the amount of transactions you have active with them at any given time like MtGox does and that causes delays which users find unacceptable.

Mr Bitcoin is probably a better model for someone trying to operate in Australia.  We're simply not used to delays in financial transactions and we're not used to having to pay for them.  Selling Bitcoins for cash gets rid of a lot of the issues which plague exchanges, although it might still ultimately run into issues with banks down the track if the volume of cash transactions gets high enough.  It also remains to be seen how willing people are to go to the bank given that we do such much banking and bill paying online (I seriously can't remember the last time I stepped foot inside a bank).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
btctraderr

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 10:23:19 AM

Saw this coming, see this Forum and the Currency Exchange forum in the last month or two. There has been many posts about delayed withdrawals and problems with Crypto, I myself being one of them- luckily I got my money out a 2 months ago and never went back. You could tell this was going to happen with the prices trading at Crypto way higher than the rest of the market, that only shows there was no liquidity (the last trade was today at $22, wtf).

Crypto was trading at like 2nd and 3rd in volume for a while there. But they could not keep it up and closed the MTgox code withdrawals and made it harder for anyone to get money in and out of there- they also went quiet on the forums and everywhere else. I think it's a case of bad management or lack thereof. Shame, it was the best way to cheaply/quickly deposit cash in Australia in it's day. Hope something else will come to fill the void. In the mean time it's back to MtgoxAUD (3.25% deposit fee) or paying $20 international wire fee anytime you want to trade anywhere else.
greyhawk (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 11:32:38 AM

No.  I think you might be confusing Bitcoin Police with something else, possibly Mr. Bitcoin.

Nope. I'm pretty sure CryptoXchange was not only listed on Bitcoin Polices site as a highly trusted partner, but the adresses of some Bitcoin Police members and CryptoXchange owners were remarkably similar. Of course, and im sure this is totally accidental, the old Bitcoin Police site was replaced by a new one about 2 days ago or so. Still...remarkably convenient, if one thinks about it.
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2012, 03:24:25 PM

I had a similar story to others on here. I used them in the early days a lot... due to payment delays I lost faith in them as an exchange and stopped trading on their platform a long time ago.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 03:01:10 AM

where's their official thread?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
augustocroppo
VIP

Merit: 503

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 01:39:11 PM

where's their official thread?

You can keep track of what is going on here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=126552.0

I made this thread to centralize all the relevant information regarding the Cryptoxchange insolvency. There is a link for the "official" Cryptoxchange thread.
Hasimir

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 11:22:06 AM

Nope. I'm pretty sure CryptoXchange was not only listed on Bitcoin Polices site as a highly trusted partner, but the adresses of some Bitcoin Police members and CryptoXchange owners were remarkably similar. Of course, and im sure this is totally accidental, the old Bitcoin Police site was replaced by a new one about 2 days ago or so. Still...remarkably convenient, if one thinks about it.

As far as I'm aware the new Bitcoin Police site (bitcoinpolice.org) is unrelated to CryptoXChange.  Actually, there's a greater connection between Bitcoin Police and Mt. Gox, just have a look at the whois records for bitcoinpolice.org and bitcoinpolice.net.

Disclaimer:  I am a moderator on the new Bitcoin Police forum.

The data from the old site was available a few days ago, I'll see if I can get a copy.  I didn't archive it because there wasn't much in it of interest.

Anyway, the only thing in common between MrTggr (the primary BP admin) and CryptoXChange that I am aware of is that both are in Australia.  So is SomeoneWeird (the secondary BP admin) and so am I.

CryptoXChange has a postal address in Orange, NSW (approx. 200km west of Sydney), MrTggr is in Canberra, SomeoneWeird is in Melbourne and I'm in Melbourne too.

OpenPGP/GPG key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D  I provide GPG Training services
IRC nick: Hasimir (Freenode and elsewhere)
BTC address: 19hiwsQq7xMAEyQMdiyGjkMGNmpN6GA5wL
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 11:30:53 AM

The bitcoin police have no more in common with cryptoxchange than we do with MtGox and intersango etc. I have no idea why you're confusing us Smiley CX is run by Ken, and the BP is run by myself and MrTiggr.

edit: and yes if you look at the whois for bitcoinpolice.org it says that Mark Karpeles owns it, that's just because he registered it himself and donated it to us Smiley
MrTiggr

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 11:40:28 AM

BOING!

BitcoinPolice once performed security auditing of the CX web interface in its early days. This came about through through the #bitcoin-aus channel where i met Ken, the owner of CX.
Other than that, there is no association between CX and BP.

I must say it is sad to see the exchange shutdown, i still regard ken as a trustworthy member of the bitcoin community and wish him and all the staff at CX all the best of luck in any future endeavours.

sadly... *another one bites the dust*

Cheers
MrTiggr

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 08:07:53 PM

damn....only GOX VIRCUREX, BTCe, BITPARKING and others left.....oh my.....

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 08:21:20 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2012, 03:07:20 AM by repentance

The one thing which is a little bit ambiguous here is that the "wishing Bitcoin a great future" comment implies that they're getting out of Bitcoin altogether.  But the MrBitcoin site currently has a "we're upgrading the site" notice (which only went up a few days ago) up giving the date for completing upgrades as 26 November - which suggests that particular business will continue operating.

I notice that augustocroppo has posted the specific details of Ken's illness in the other thread.  It's not the smoking gun he seems to think it is.  The information was easily found on Google before CryptoXchange even launched (in fact, that's how I found it myself before they launched) and I'm also aware of Ken talking about it with other community members.  

He didn't bother checking whether Hertz have moved since the Google Street view picture was taken last year, either - they have.

http://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/location/index.jsp?targetPage=locationDetailsView.jsp&eoag=OAGC60&resAgnt=&locType=pUp

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: