Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:12:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what about trust / trustworthy devs  (Read 786 times)
vlom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 08:47:08 PM

Do a lot of alts have a trust problem? yes or no? and why?

i think yes. they have a trust problem. why should i trust someone that is hiding behind a pseudonym? i think a trustworthy dev can tell us his/her name.why should they not tell the public who they are if they do not want to scam someone.

what do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 08:53:04 PM

i think yes. they have a trust problem. why should i trust someone that is hiding behind a pseudonym? i think a trustworthy dev can tell us his/her name.why should they not tell the public who they are if they do not want to scam someone.

what do you think?

why is satoshi anon again?

IMHO a REAL cryptocurrency does not need a dev which name/address is public.
crypto should work without any centralization and focusing on a dev just adds centralization.

get a team of independant devs which believe in the project is way better: they can check each other ;-)

in the beginning it may help to get starting capital and investors... but a currency should not be for shortterm!

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
vlom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2015, 09:02:28 PM

i never talked about bitcoin. and btw there are people that show their face.

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/whos-building-bitcoin-an-inside-look-at-bitcoins-open-source-development
Gavin Andresen: Andresen serves as chief scientist on the board of the Bitcoin Foundation and is essentially bitcoin’s lead developer, a position passed onto him by Satoshi Nakamoto, bitcoin’s mysterious creator. A Princeton grad, Andresen joined the bitcoin movement after spending time in Silicon Valley. Today, he is the only person receiving an official salary from the foundation for his work. Outside of Nakamoto himself, Andresen is the person who has most influence on the direction of bitcoin. If bitcoin is a ship, Andresen is the undisputed captain. He’s bitcoin’s Linus Torvalds.

Jeff Garzik: Garzik is a frequent writer, miner, developer (bitcoin and others), network engineer, familiy man, and staunch bitcoin advocate. He’s known within the community to be incredibly smart, tackling bitcoin’s many complex problems with speed and ease. Notably, he was the world’s first person to receive a specialized bitcoin miner from Yifu Guo’s firm Avalon, which at one point was mining hundreds of dollars worth of bitcoins a day.

Mike Hearn: By day, Hearn is a software engineer for Google. By night, he is the bitcoin community’s unofficial futurist, bitcoin’s very own Ray Kurzweil. Always focusing three to five years down the road, Hearn’s role is primarily that of an advisor.

Matt Corallo: One of the core development team’s unsung heroes, Corallo has made significant contributions to the bitcoin client, its infrastructure, and the main protocol, among others.

Pieter Wiuelle: Like Corallo, Wiuelle has devoted a substantial amount of code to the bitcoin project.
rnicoll

Activity: 199
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 12:30:52 AM

what do you think?

crypto should work without any centralization and focusing on a dev just adds centralization.

get a team of independant devs which believe in the project is way better: they can check each other ;-)

in the beginning it may help to get starting capital and investors... but a currency should not be for shortterm!

Still, do people trust Satoshi, or do they trust the devs that have checked the code over the last 5+ years? When Bitcoin came out it had virtually no value or trust, and I think to date only Dash has had any sort of long-term success with a dev team that's not clearly identifiable (i.e. not just a known name, but you can find background details on the dev team)

Dogecoin Core developer, ex-researcher, trader.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 12:38:26 AM

what do you think?

This x 1000. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that it's better if the devs are anon because the minute you introduce any personality behind a dev/coin then it will divide people (and it could be dangerous to the devs). I feel like every coin should be started by a handful of devs but the control should be eventually passed onto everyone else but the devs. I mean what is true decentralization if not that?

I think to date only Dash has had any sort of long-term success

Lol, nevermind me or common sense then.

Not your keys, not your coins!
vlom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 05:57:56 PM

e.g. gulden i would give trust. i can't say exactely why. or just because there are a lot of stores that accept this coins. maybe it is just the spread of a coin that makes the coin trustworthy and not the dev behind the coin.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:44:25 PM

Trust and widespread use go hand-in-hand. One is the egg and the other is the hen— it takes one to make the other.

onemorexmr

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 10:14:51 PM

Trust and widespread use go hand-in-hand. One is the egg and the other is the hen— it takes one to make the other.

true, but with cryptos: shouldnt you trust the technology and not the dev?

IMHO i'd need multiple devs (including me) to tell me that a crypto is good technology wise. i would not believe it if it is a one-man-show - there are too many things that can go wrong and code reviews seem to be mandatory.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
vlom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 10:13:40 AM

IMHO i'd need multiple devs (including me) to tell me that a crypto is good technology wise. i would not believe it if it is a one-man-show - there are too many things that can go wrong and code reviews seem to be mandatory.

that right. if you can review the code than you can gain trust in a coin. but i am not able to review a code. i don't know how to do this. at this point it need to know how made the review. are these persons trustworthy or not?
onemorexmr

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 10:20:23 AM

that right. if you can review the code than you can gain trust in a coin. but i am not able to review a code. i don't know how to do this. at this point it need to know how made the review. are these persons trustworthy or not?

i would rather trust a group of independent people than only one person.
if the group is big enough it doesnt really matter if they are trustworthy or not.

EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 12:51:06 PM

Trust the community, not just the devs.
Particularly when it comes to real-world business decisions, devs are sometimes not the best people to have in total control of a project.

Genuine decentralisation also means as much decentralisation of all aspects of a project as is possible.
A leaderless project with a strong community (like Nxt or Bitcoin Grin ) is  a much better long-term bet than a project where everything from coding to business decisions to design is decided by one person.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 07:37:05 PM

YES let's talk about Trust  Grin

See the link in my sig about the cops being called early tomorrow morning.

Trust the community ?
Really ?
I think i'd rather not LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: