Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:35:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hedge Bitcoins against devaluation  (Read 1081 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 11:09:33 PM

What would the best way to protect my Bitcoin investments against its devaluation or when its market price goes down? I thought about exchanging my BTC to Nubits, but they are not always pegged 100% to the value of fiat. Then there is BITUSD, and Tether but I'm not sure if it would be the safest way to do this. Even if Bitcoin's price goes to the moon, at least I would protect them in case their value goes down.  Grin

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Cheesy

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 11:16:45 PM

I have tried figuring out what alts would be best for this for a long time with little success.. I have had some success with DRK/DASH but with the DASH market the way it is now it isn't as good..

I think the only real good way would be to trade BTC for fiat directly, though that can be a PITA to do due to regulations and such. Make sure it's a good exchange with good current price following and enough liquidity for you to get in and back out, but then you are just trading bitcoin which makes hedging in alts moot..

Maybe take a real good look at ETH for this.. 

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 11:20:11 PM

What would the best way to protect my Bitcoin investments against its devaluation or when its market price goes down? I thought about exchanging my BTC to Nubits, but they are not always pegged 100% to the value of fiat. Then there is BITUSD, and Tether but I'm not sure if it would be the safest way to do this. Even if Bitcoin's price goes to the moon, at least I would protect them in case their value goes down.  Grin

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Cheesy

if you are happy to cash out at $360 (todays price).. then cash out 50%..

if bitcoins rises, then 50% left as bitcoin will profit.. if it falls then you can buy more coin using the fiat your holding from cashing out..
.. its just that simple..

if you are trying to find guaranteed predictions of pumps and dumps to sell right at the top and buy right at the bottom.. or even a service to do this for you... goodluck, keep dreaming.

and if your looking for alts to use as a reserve.. find the cheapest nastiest coin there is. thats valued as close to 0.0000001 as possible.. grab as many as you can and hold.. usually converting to xrp/ltc and then looking for alts that are 0.00000001 of an xrp/ltc means you will own billions of an altcoin that cant go any lower, meaning just going to 0.00000002 is doubling your funds, 0.00000003 is trebling your funds, 0.00000004 is quadrupling your funds

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 11:36:16 PM

What would the best way to protect my Bitcoin investments against its devaluation or when its market price goes down? I thought about exchanging my BTC to Nubits, but they are not always pegged 100% to the value of fiat. Then there is BITUSD, and Tether but I'm not sure if it would be the safest way to do this. Even if Bitcoin's price goes to the moon, at least I would protect them in case their value goes down.  Grin

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Cheesy

if you are happy to cash out at $360 (todays price).. then cash out 50%..

if bitcoins rises, then 50% left as bitcoin will profit.. if it falls then you can buy more coin using the fiat your holding from cashing out..
.. its just that simple..

if you are trying to find guaranteed predictions of pumps and dumps to sell right at the top and buy right at the bottom.. or even a service to do this for you... goodluck, keep dreaming.

and if your looking for alts to use as a reserve.. find the cheapest nastiest coin there is. thats valued as close to 0.0000001 as possible.. grab as many as you can and hold.. usually converting to xrp/ltc and then looking for alts that are 0.00000001 of an xrp/ltc means you will own billions of an altcoin that cant go any lower, meaning just going to 0.00000002 is doubling your funds, 0.00000003 is trebling your funds, 0.00000004 is quadrupling your funds

Great advice. Thanks for sharing your recommendations, mate. I guess I would just cashout some of my BTC for fiat, and the rest would be stored on a paper wallet as reserve for the future. Probably Bitcoin's value would rise tenfold and thus it would be greater earnings for me. Still, I would like to see a service (more like a wallet) where I could store my BTC and then it locks up their value for protection against devaluation.  Cheesy

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 03:09:06 AM

The best way would be a married put, but unfortunately there's still no liquid market for vanilla bitcoin options.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Linuld

Activity: 473
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 03:13:20 AM

The best way would be a married put, but unfortunately there's still no liquid market for vanilla bitcoin options.

I think if the best option may be gold because gold prices will not move that fast so if we can find a way to easily convert bitcoin to gold and gold to bitcoin than that will be the best option of protect our investments. But as of now I don't know is there any site allows for these exchanges?
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 09:33:39 AM

Ideally, you would want to swap your bitcoin for something with an opposite trend. There really isn't an asset like that. I would rule out any alts because cryptos are linked. You might be able to find one that do not fall as much, but it would still be worse than converting back to fiat and buying a bond.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 11:42:59 AM

I think if the best option may be gold because gold prices will not move that fast so if we can find a way to easily convert bitcoin to gold and gold to bitcoin than that will be the best option of protect our investments. But as of now I don't know is there any site allows for these exchanges?

Well, there is a service called BitGold where you can buy Gold with your Bitcoins either as a physical form or digitally stored on your BitGold wallet. I haven't used it yet, but it looks like a great idea. I'm still looking for reviews regarding this service before I make any investment.  Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 01:51:02 PM

I've never used the service before myself, but from what I understand isn't that what Coinapult locks do? https://coinapult.com/faq

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:06:20 PM

Bitcoin's price movement is normally opposite to the price of altcoins. If you have faith in crypto currency, I suggest to consider to invest in crypto coins index like coinoindex which are trading in poloniex and investing in the 20 leading altcoins.
Amph
Legendary

Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 03:27:29 PM

i would simply hold and wait for the price to recover, i can't other better ways that does not coem with the same risk

until you do not sell and wait for you initial target you didn't really lose anything
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 03:41:31 PM

leverage the price falls

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 03:48:19 PM

What do you usually do to protect your dollar from devaluing against the euro or other currencies?

Just do that.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 04:20:02 PM

In my opinion don't do anything! Just try to increase your bitcoin holdings monthly! Why am I saying this? I really believe this technology is so underrated at the moment by the masses and also heavily underpriced that the boom will happen in the future. When this book happens, all these current price fluctuations will be a minor bump in the road!

Not to mention that you are risking a lot if you hedge and you make a mistake!
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 06:34:19 PM

I've never used the service before myself, but from what I understand isn't that what Coinapult locks do? https://coinapult.com/faq

I've started getting to know this service and so far it looks very promising. The "Lock" feature locks your current BTC value to a fiat currency of your choice such as USD or EUR. This is amazing. I will try it out. Thanks!  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 10:32:29 PM

What do you usually do to protect your dollar from devaluing against the euro or other currencies?
Just do that.

Which is nothing for most people.  Cheesy
I do think OP has a correct mindset, looking for ways to hedge that risk. I believe bitcoin has potential, but it's not free from bubbles and volatility.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 10:40:13 PM

Unless I'm much mistaken you can lock your coins to a dollar value via Coinapult inside Mycelium. Dunno whether it's country specific.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 10:44:47 PM

Unless I'm much mistaken you can lock your coins to a dollar value via Coinapult inside Mycelium. Dunno whether it's country specific.

you can also lock bitcoin to a dollar value by selling it for dollars..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 10:46:33 PM

you can also lock bitcoin to a dollar value by selling it for dollars..

That's the march of technology for ya. Amazing what we can do these days.
maokoto

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2015, 12:18:17 AM

Perhaps you could check which alts lower their BTC value when BTC goes up. If they are POS coins, they will also get some interest when you buy them.

However, as other say it is difficult, and I would prefer to hold the BTC too.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: