Bitcoin Forum
September 26, 2024, 07:28:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unconfirms and DoS attacks?  (Read 798 times)
azrin (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 04:09:10 AM

Hi,

I've had a transaction waiting for just over 5 hours with 0 confirmations. Should I just leave it and pray or is there something I should be doing on my end.

I'm new to bitcoins and I've never had any problems with them before so I don't know the basic problems that can occur or how to resolve them. I found this site when I got worried about the lack of confirms and googled for some info. Some of the threads I've read here mentioned DoS attacks such as this one( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1269871.0 ).

Is that why it's taking so long?

Thanks.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 6833

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 04:17:38 AM

Yes there is a currently an ongoing DoS attack which is preventing blocks from being able to have many transactions. If one of the transaction outputs went to you, you can attempt a CPFP transaction. Otherwise you can just wait.

azrin (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 04:28:28 AM

Yes there is a currently an ongoing DoS attack which is preventing blocks from being able to have many transactions.

Thanks. Smiley

If one of the transaction outputs went to you, you can attempt a CPFP transaction. Otherwise you can just wait.

Don't know what any of that means so I'll just wait. Cheesy
ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 04:39:32 AM

If one of the transaction outputs went to you, you can attempt a CPFP transaction. Otherwise you can just wait.

Don't know what any of that means so I'll just wait. Cheesy
CPFP aka. Child pay for parent. Transaction will only confirm if the input is confirmed. The entire chain of transactions can be confirmed in one block. CPFP gives an incentive to miners to mine your transaction for you. You can generate a transaction from the output with a higher fee and miners with CPFP patch will mine it for you and hence receiving all the fees. The only miner/mining pool I know that implemented this patch is Eligius.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1005

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 09:11:10 AM

I've had a transaction waiting for just over 5 hours with 0 confirmations. Should I just leave it and pray or is there something I should be doing on my end.
<snip>
Is that why it's taking so long?

Have you paid enough fees in your transaction? How much fee did you pay and how big was your transaction in bytes? If you haven't paid enough fees per byte, it may never confirm. It would help if you post your transaction id and other members can tell you why it isn't confirming. If you want to keep it private, it is ok.
azrin (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:31:50 PM

Have you paid enough fees in your transaction? How much fee did you pay and how big was your transaction in bytes? If you haven't paid enough fees per byte, it may never confirm. It would help if you post your transaction id and other members can tell you why it isn't confirming. If you want to keep it private, it is ok.

Thanks but it actually started confirming about an hour after I made the post. I'm not sure how big it was in bytes. It was only 0.2 BTC. The transaction fee was whatever the default is set to in bitcoin-qt.
a7mos

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 05:44:26 PM

Can you post the transaction link so we can check if you paid the proper fees and how many inputs and outputs in this transaction?
azrin (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 08:13:32 PM

Can you post the transaction link so we can check if you paid the proper fees and how many inputs and outputs in this transaction?

Sure. Not sure about the info you need but I can post a screen. I know it can be checked on the chain but as I said I'm a newb so don't know how. This is the first time I've had a problem. As you can see I had a couple transfers after and those went through quickly and without problem.

If you need more info just let me know( and tell me how to get it Smiley ).

https://i.imgur.com/Y3lUcou.jpg

ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 08:51:46 AM

Sure. Not sure about the info you need but I can post a screen. I know it can be checked on the chain but as I said I'm a newb so don't know how. This is the first time I've had a problem. As you can see I had a couple transfers after and those went through quickly and without problem.

If you need more info just let me know( and tell me how to get it Smiley ).

Your TXID is: https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/tx/68505b6cfcb79c59e088210734611356e417b831798452cd93926cdea97e33c9.
One of the output is exactly 2730satoshi it is most likely the change. 2730 satoshi in the output is the reference client's minimum tier for relaying transactions. Anything less than that, the reference client will consider it non standard and would not relay it. In this case, I believe it was not limited, CMIIW. The main problem was your fees. It is 0.00002158BTC/kb which was rather small when there was a spam attack against the network yesterday. This was a problem for sometime and the attacker eventually stopped.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████