Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:38:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet on multi computers?  (Read 635 times)
TheLastSpicyTuna (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 08:01:39 AM

Right now i got a wallet on my OSX computer right now, but i think its will be nice to have it on my Windows computer to and on work, will it be any problem width this? i can se on OSX the wallet download data to the system, but what will happen with my wallet-address on multi computers?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 08:49:48 AM

Assuming you are using bitcoin core, theoretically, you only need to copy "wallet.dat" to another computer and you can access the same set of addresses. I am not sure whether both wallets will create the same address when you create a new address in both wallets. Better not do this way, or only create new addresses on one wallet and copy to the other.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 11:30:31 AM

Assuming you are using bitcoin core, theoretically, you only need to copy "wallet.dat" to another computer and you can access the same set of addresses. I am not sure whether both wallets will create the same address when you create a new address in both wallets. Better not do this way, or only create new addresses on one wallet and copy to the other.

As long as the hidden pool of addresses (100 by default) is not used they create the same addresses even for change. Afterwards however the addresses will be different. So over time the 3 instances of the same wallet.dat will change and no longer be in sync. HD wallets (armory, electrum, multibit HD) are better for this.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2015, 09:07:12 PM

It's possible to duplicate the wallet.
But after creating new addresses, like already mentioned, it will be out of sync.

So either always backup wallet.dat and manually synch it with every Computer after creating a new address.. or just use HD wallet / Mobile Phone (for not too much coins).

TheLastSpicyTuna (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2015, 06:51:48 AM

Okay thanks a lot, i will use Multibit HD for bitcoin's and all orther coin types will i place on a exchange, i think its the safrtys way to handle it, thanks for the nice respons! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: