Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 06:24:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reserve Bank of #India Looks for Alt Reserve  (Read 2870 times)
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 12:09:19 PM

The Reserve Bank of India is looking for emerging market currencies as alternative reserve currencies to the Dollar.

#Bitcoin is the answer.

http://goo.gl/8L1pc

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 03:54:05 PM

The governor pointed out that one alternative was to have a menu of reserve currencies. "But this cannot happen by fiat. To be a serious contender as an alternative, a currency has to fulfill some exacting criteria. It has to be fully convertible and its exchange rate should be determined by market fundamentals; It should acquire a significant share in world trade; The currency issuing country should have liquid, open and large financial markets and also the policy credibility to inspire the confidence of potential investors. In short, the 'exorbitant privilege' of a reserve currency comes with an 'exorbitant responsibility'," he said.

Sounds about right
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 12:19:41 AM

Yup. Dollar is on cruise control right now. Just wait until the inertia really starts to falter.

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 12:56:37 AM

Relevant article:
ABOUT THE BENJAMINS: Why the share of $100 bills in circulation has been going up for over 40 years

So what the heck is going on here? Inflation may have something to do with it—there just weren’t as many things to buy in 1970 that might require one to slap down a $100 bill—but that still wouldn’t explain why their proportion today has nothing to do with what people see in their wallets.

The short answer is that a lot of money is spending a lot of time outside the United States.

The cognoscenti look at the share of $100 bills as something of a proxy for foreign demand for US currency. An overwhelming majority of the $100 bills come from the Federal Reserve Cash Office in New York City, which handles the bulk of foreign shipments of US currency. A typical shipment is a pallet containing 640,000 such bills, or $64 million, according to a recent Fed paper.

Somewhat surprisingly, it’s unclear exactly how much American money is floating around outside the US. Estimates run the gamut. In the 1990s, one high-profile estimate pegged the number at as much as 70%. But more recent estimates hover around 25%-30%.

And while there are plenty of reasons folks outside the US might want to hold dollars, the thinking is that most people are not using these $100 bills to buy milk and bananas. No, most economists seem to believe $100 bills are most often used as stores of value—almost something like mini-Treasury bills that don’t pay any interest. This is especially so in developing countries, where problems with unstable currencies and inflation often mean the purchasing power of local currency gradually—or not so gradually—erodes over time.

So it is a ponzi, unlike anything seen before.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 10:16:46 PM

The governor pointed out that one alternative was to have a menu of reserve currencies. "But this cannot happen by fiat. To be a serious contender as an alternative, a currency has to fulfill some exacting criteria. It has to be fully convertible and its exchange rate should be determined by market fundamentals; It should acquire a significant share in world trade; The currency issuing country should have liquid, open and large financial markets and also the policy credibility to inspire the confidence of potential investors. In short, the 'exorbitant privilege' of a reserve currency comes with an 'exorbitant responsibility'," he said.

Sounds about right

Except a good part of the criteria are not currently being fulfilled by bitcoin:

• fully convertible: don't know, what does that mean, exactly?
  • exchange rate determined by market: CHECK
  • there is a issuing country: FAIL
  • should acquire a significant share of world trade: FAIL
  • should have liquid financial market: MAYBE
  • should have open financial market: CHECK
  • should have large financial market: FAIL
  • policy credibility: CHECK (maybe even good enough to make lack of issuing country not an issue?)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 10:57:54 PM

The Reserve Bank of India is looking for emerging market currencies as alternative reserve currencies to the Dollar.

#Bitcoin is the answer.

Bitcoin most certainly has the potential to be but we're a long way from that yet.  All it needs is time and gradual adoption and adaption to developing circumstances without being attacked or otherwise destroyed by the powers that be.

I had not realised that part of the reason the massive QE going on is not resulting in a significant devaluation of the dollar is that other countries are buying it up as reserve.  If some countries are going to be disposing of some, to an extent it doesn't matter what they replace it with because the resultant flooding of dollars will surely be good for the BTC/USD rate - thus making Bitcoin more attractive?  I'm no economist so I may be missing something essential here.
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 11:02:52 PM

...it is a ponzi, unlike anything seen before.
Oh no, not the 'p' word again.  I can see where you're coming from but please let's not go there!  It's such an emotive term for which people have substantially differing ideas of what the essential characteristics of a ponzi scheme are.  Isn't there another way to convey the problem with the aspect of what's going on you see as problematic?

Sorry if I'm just being over-sensitive to it!
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 11:04:55 PM

No, your not over-sensitive.  It's just another version of 'conspiracy theory'.

Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 01:04:32 AM

Sounds about right

Except a good part of the criteria are not currently being fulfilled by bitcoin:

• fully convertible: don't know, what does that mean, exactly?
  • exchange rate determined by market: CHECK
  • there is a issuing country: FAIL
  • should acquire a significant share of world trade: FAIL
  • should have liquid financial market: MAYBE
  • should have open financial market: CHECK
  • should have large financial market: FAIL
  • policy credibility: CHECK (maybe even good enough to make lack of issuing country not an issue?)

All the fails that matter can be resolved with persistence and dedication and will necessarily take time to manifest and mature.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
J-Norm

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 05:36:50 PM

There is not enough capitalization for bitcoin to be used as a reserve currency now.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 08:16:42 PM

There is not enough capitalization for bitcoin to be used as a reserve currency now.

That's a chicken and egg problem. Once the central banks of the world started using it as a reserve currency, it'd be well-capitalized quickly Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
J-Norm

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:09:04 PM

That's a chicken and egg problem. Once the central banks of the world started using it as a reserve currency, it'd be well-capitalized quickly Wink

A nation cannot capitalize its own reserve, at least I don't see how it can. It needs to already have a global demand.

I think the major capitalization will happen when polititians learn how easy it is to hide bribes and kickbacks with bitcoin. They will also make sure it stays legal.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:09:49 PM

The solution is to find more than one country willing to trade in Bitcoins.  Then they can capitalize each other, and others will join.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 12:56:22 PM

I do beleive that Bitcoin is the answer, but needs more visibility.

I dont think that the Indian government will go the Bitcoin way as yet.

It is interesting however, that most of what they are looking for in a new reserve currency is already present in Bitcoin.

Maybe they are already looking at it Smiley.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 01:43:20 AM

A nation cannot capitalize its own reserve, at least I don't see how it can. It needs to already have a global demand.

I think the major capitalization will happen when polititians learn how easy it is to hide bribes and kickbacks with bitcoin. They will also make sure it stays legal.

Good point, but I'm quite sure those polititians don't even know how to install a client  Cheesy

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 09:17:03 AM

Good point, but I'm quite sure those polititians don't even know how to install a client  Cheesy

Politicians usually have people doing the real work for them if required.

rchapoteau

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 02:26:00 PM

I think Bitcoin's which require a lot of technology to use, is not a good fit for a country like India. 
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 02:46:44 PM

Maybe they are already looking at it Smiley.

I think you are being a bit optimistic here  Smiley.  Bitcoin is an experiment, central banks want certainty.
Who wants to be the guy who brought up the idea to buy all these 'bitcoins' as a reserve, if bitcoin should fail?
If bitcoin grows and matures over the next couple of years, hopefully some people will be willing to stick out their neck. 
Right now, I think it is very unlikely...
rchapoteau

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 03:10:05 PM

The price probably fluctuates a bit too much for any real consideration.   Also too new.  Maybe in 10 years if it is still around and stable it will be considered more.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 06:25:29 PM

I think Bitcoin's which require a lot of technology to use, is not a good fit for a country like India. 

I think you have a somewhat outdated idea of India. Also, this would be for the government to use, not the general populace, I would assume.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: