Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:58:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silverfuturist on bitcoin.  (Read 6824 times)
andes

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:14:03 AM

it is the properties of gold that back it up.   scarce, doesn't tarnish, fungible, etc

similarly, it is the properties of bitcoin that back up its value

Gold has physical properties that give it value. BTC has none of these physical properties.
This is BS. Value is in the mind of people. By your standards music has no value because its just information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
terryfkwit

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:16:24 AM

Bitcon is the most honest and transparent Ponzi scheme ever....
i am bullish bitcoin and silver and am prepared to play a long long game on both.. no contradictions here at all....
It is not an either or situation they will both play out at different rates ... gold ,silver and bitcoins my definition of a balanced portfolio ... oh and throw in a few miners....
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:18:03 AM

it is the properties of gold that back it up.   scarce, doesn't tarnish, fungible, etc

similarly, it is the properties of bitcoin that back up its value

Gold has physical properties that give it value. BTC has none of these physical properties.

Especially when it's stuffed full of Tungsten. lol

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
noedaRDH

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:28:22 AM

I discovered that both of the most aggressive anti-bitcoin guys on youtube: rawdog and theweeklytelegram delete their past videos/accounts every couple of weeks or months, so they cannot be held accountable.

The weeklytelegram deleted all his videos about 4 weeks ago, then he made a couple of videos bashing bitcoin, then he deleted all his videos again last week, then he made a new video bashing bitcoin today.

Rawdog deleted his account a couple of weeks ago (deleting all his videos), and created a new one a couple of weeks ago.

How would you call this kind of public people that pathologically "clean their digital past" in a regular manner? Quite strange to me... Why being a public person and destroying your credibility this way?

Should we call them "digital amnesiacs?", "cyber Schizophreniacs?".... hmmm...

The asshole that is "weeklytelegram" has such an annoying nasally voice. I don't see how bitcoins invade into his territory. They're probably the same people who dismissed the idea of the internet when that was first introduced.

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
bitcola

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:26:13 AM

This is BS. Value is in the mind of people. By your standards music has no value because its just information.

Do you know what true value is? The average layman does not.

We are talking monetary value here, not just any old value.

For music, the intellectual property has value. You can sell the IP or you can use it to manufacture records that will sell.

Now let me ask again, where is the value in a bitcoin? Mining is no different to printing money and we have all seen what happens to economies that print money. They suffer for it.

relative

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:13:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgYamdGLuA4

Quite sad that he is also going for the Ponzi scheme thing... actually it is an insult to all the early adopters, who are entrepreneurs!

I didnt watch the video, but bitcoin has parts of a ponzi scheme, namely the graph of money creation.

why the rate of money creation would be the biggest at the beginning, when it was obvious there would be no demand, is beyond me. money creation should have started slowly, then picked up when wider adoption was expected for a couple of years and then decline.
when other monetary systems were started they didnt distribute 10 mil each to 100 people.
the money supply was increased when the currency got more widely used (for example: more countries were added to the eurozone).

now I understand you can't manage this in the same way with bitcoin because there is no central authority, but the graph should have been shaped differently.
shady financier

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

etcetera

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:20:26 AM

Do you know what true value is? The average layman does not.

We are talking monetary value here, not just any old value.

For music, the intellectual property has value. You can sell the IP or you can use it to manufacture records that will sell.

Now let me ask again, where is the value in a bitcoin? Mining is no different to printing money and we have all seen what happens to economies that print money. They suffer for it.

see my legend.

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:23:21 AM

Quite sad that he is also going for the Ponzi scheme thing... actually it is an insult to all the early adopters, who are entrepreneurs!

I didnt watch the video, but bitcoin has party of a ponzi scheme, namely the graph of money creation.

why the rate of money creation would be the biggest at the beginning, when it was obvious there would be no demand, is beyond me. money creation should have started slowly, then picked up when wider adoption was expected for a couple of years and then decline.
when other monetary systems were started they didnt distribute 10 mil each to 100 people.
the money supply was increased when the currency got more widely used (for example: more countries were added to the eurozone).

now I understand you can't manage this in the same way with bitcoin because there is no central authority, but the graph should have been shaped differently.

it's simple economics, initially low adoption, low value, low invested capital, bitcoins are plenty a penny.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
bitcola

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:24:46 AM

I didnt watch the video, but bitcoin has party of a ponzi scheme, namely the graph of money creation.

The Euro works because the legacy currencies were tradable for it.

There is hardly any real wealth transferred into bitcoins, mainly because you can just create bitcoins with mining.

Bitcoins is like a new country inventing their own currency but without giving up their old one. They decide to trade this currency among themselves and then they try to sell it to others (for USD, for example). Wow, they can't believe it - people will actually pay them for their "invented out of thin air" currency, they're all going to be rich.

This picture is not sustainable. Eventually, people refuse to pay anything for bitcoins.

It has all the hallmarks of a ponzi because the only people who believe in swapping real wealth for bitcoins are those who have convinced themselves that they will get a long term return. They can get a short term return if they are quickly in and quickly out but in the long term they will lose all their money.

shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:29:22 AM

The Euro works because the legacy currencies were tradable for it.

There is hardly any real wealth transferred into bitcoins, mainly because you can just create bitcoins with mining.

Bitcoins is like a new country inventing their own currency but without giving up their old one. They decide to trade this currency among themselves and then they try to sell it to others (for USD, for example). Wow, they can't believe it - people will actually pay them for their "invented out of thin air" currency, they're all going to be rich.

This picture is not sustainable. Eventually, people refuse to pay anything for bitcoins.

It has all the hallmarks of a ponzi because the only people who believe in swapping real wealth for bitcoins are those who have convinced themselves that they will get a long term return. They can get a short term return if they are quickly in and quickly out but in the long term they will lose all their money.

Out of thin air? No, out of (currently) 10.574 Thash/s. You think that kind of computing power is made of faery dust and unicorn-horn? Think again.

Real wealth is not bitcoin, or dollars, or euros, or even gold. All that stuff is just information, written with atoms, bits or ledgers at central banks. Real wealth is the work people will exchange using these different media. They are all claims on wealth, you can't eat gold. Money is information.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

relative

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:32:07 AM

Out of thin air? No, out of (currently) 10.574 Thash/s. You think that kind of computing power is made of faery dust unicorn-horn? Think again.

hard work to obtain something doesnt make it valueable.
this guy worked hard with his lawn mower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIaCHqxdSXc&feature=feedf

and he's funny, too, which got to be worth something.
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:39:26 AM

Out of thin air? No, out of (currently) 10.574 Thash/s. You think that kind of computing power is made of faery dust unicorn-horn? Think again.

hard work to obtain something doesnt make it valueable.
this guy worked hard with his lawn mower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIaCHqxdSXc&feature=feedf

and he's funny, too, which got to be worth something.

No, that's not my claim. Value is in the exchange, but saying bitcoins are created out of thin air is fucking ridiculous. They are made out of shit-hot graphics cards, electricity and processing time, applied specifically to the purpose of creating a good form of money. The value comes from trade. The more people trade for them, the more value they can be traded for.

I'm tired of these youtube idiots that come out with  "Duhhh, I jus don't unnerstan how come somethin I can't hold and ain't shinny can be any valubal"

That's just coz you're stupid. There are descent criticisms of bitcoin to be said, but not understanding anything that "ain't shinny" is not one of them.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

relative

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:43:34 AM

No, that's not my claim. Value is in the exchange, but saying bitcoins are created out of thin air is fucking ridiculous. They are ade out of shit-hot graphics cards, electricity and processing time, applied specifically to the purpose of creating a good form of money. The value comes from trade. The more people trade for them, the more value.

that's not true either.
bitcoins are created by a predetermined function over time.

the whole hashing exercise is just a way to determine their distribution (and to verify transactions) but bitcoins aren't really created by hashing power. the rate of creation stays the same, no matter how much "shit-hot graphics cards" are online.

one lawn-mower could mow the whole world.
andes

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:46:37 AM

Quoting from another poster in economics thread.

Currency and money are very similar and many people think that they are one of the same. However, there is one major difference that separates the two. First, let's obtain a firm grasp of how they are similar. Both currency and money have to be:

-A unit of account
-A medium of exchange
-Portable
-Divisible
-Durable
-Fungible (one coin in my hand has the same value as one coin in your hand)

Money must be all of the above, but has to also be a "store of value" over long periods of time.

Paper is never a store of value  in the long term, because it can be printed at will and only has the value given to it as determined by the issuing government. Also, all paper currencies have failed in the past, that means they have gone to its intrinsic value of zero. Gold and silver have been used as "money" for over 5000 years because it satisfies every requirement stated previously. Once upon a time, the U.S. was on a gold standard. This meant that for every dollar printed, there had to be gold to back it up. Our dollar was considered "money" because of this gold backing. Thus, the phrase "good as gold" was coined (you could redeem your dollars for gold). Gold has to be mined and that process takes time and physical effort.

So by all means, BitCoin could become MONEY! Alas, dollars are not money, only currency! Of course, to become money, Bitcoin still needs prove two things:
-To withstand the test of time (and by so doing becoming a store of value in the long term).
-To become a medium of exchange (it has the potential to be one, but it is still not widely accepted as a medium of exchange in the world).

People, if the technical aspects of Bitcoin prove to be solid, and it becomes a widely accepted medium of exchange, it could not only become MONEY, but the best money the world has known so far, because of its capability to be managed digitally which allows the instant transfer allover the world without any centralized authority.

Of course precious metals will be preferred for more long term security, as bitcoins could be made inoperative worldwide in minutes with any massive attack to the internet. Even if we return to the stone age after a nuclear catastrophe, gold and silver would still be money accepted by people, as it does not requiere technology to fulfill its function.

But Bitcoin runs far ahead of gold and other PMs in portability (try to carry a gold bar in your pockets), divisibility (try to cut a gold coin), and the most important one: as medium of exchange (try to send gold overseas in minutes with a click of a button using P2P).

Regards.

relative

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:48:38 AM

has anyone here denied bitcoin could become money? I didn't.

it's just very unlikely, and if so, several government bans are ahead which have to be overturned by the people.

andes

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:50:02 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2011, 12:04:12 PM by andes

has anyone here denied bitcoin could become money? I didn't.

it's just very unlikely, and if so, several government bans are ahead which have to be overturned by the people.
Of course this is a risk venture, the first of its kind in the history of mankind, nobody it giving anything for certain.

And in regards to the government bans, this has been discussed a lot here in the forums. Basically we can argue about reasons for some governments supporting Bitcoins and other trying to ban bitcoins. I have even argued that I dont see bitcoin surviving in its current state without a couple of powerful governments protecting it from the attack of other powerful gropus and/or governments. I mean if bitcoins becomes what it is intended to be, the balance of power in the world will change. This wont be without resistance from powerful groups.
d3wo

Activity: 69

Kupo!

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:55:53 AM

Print money ? is mining bitcoin that only exist 21.000.000 and then stop, is comparable to printing paper legalize by a group of people choosen by masses named goverment ?
Do you think mining bitcoins is not suffer ? Zero electrical bill ? Zero on pc's Zero GPU's ? Zero internet connection ?
Value ? are you saying about people abuses bitcoins to buy drugs ? Wikileaks accept bitcoins donations ? and lots of community here have their online store can be bought with bitcoins ?
Bitcoin is the first of its kind, it still young  Wink it can be used like whatever people call it, it have unique capability, its global, you can trade it, you can play it like stocks etc. etc.
Are you posting 50+ randomly ? Are you just lazy using search function ? or A moron ? and obviously you don't read the wiki's or pdf's or old threads  Cheesy

Try using the search function  Wink

Donations Welcome: 1GD3Sg3xcAzoc4V2SbkdTkFT9acio65Wr9
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:58:27 AM

No, that's not my claim. Value is in the exchange, but saying bitcoins are created out of thin air is fucking ridiculous. They are ade out of shit-hot graphics cards, electricity and processing time, applied specifically to the purpose of creating a good form of money. The value comes from trade. The more people trade for them, the more value.

that's not true either.
bitcoins are created by a predetermined function over time.

the whole hashing exercise is just a way to determine their distribution (and to verify transactions) but bitcoins aren't really created by hashing power. the rate of creation stays the same, no matter how much "shit-hot graphics cards" are online.

one lawn-mower could mow the whole world.

A predetermined function over time whose impact on the real world is the employment of physical resources as described above. You're missing the point. Creating something out of nothing means that you are not bound to the use of any physical resources. At one time this was more the case, but by definition, the more people that decide to attribute some form of value to bitcoin, the more physical resources are required to produce them. The same amount are produced every day, but the requirements are a more or less direct physical reflection of the amount of people valuing them.

The more they are valued, the more they are certainly not made out of nothing.

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

relative

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:01:36 PM

A predetermined function over time whose impact on the real world is the employment of physical resources as described above. You're missing the point.

you are changing your argument with each post you make.

Creating something out of nothing means that you are not bound to the use of any physical resources.
you aren't. you are bound by a function over time/algorithm, and by the fact that everyone agrees to that function by downloading the same bitcoin client.
there are no resources involved in bitcoin creation, aka out of thin air.

by employing resources, you can only make it so that YOU get a bitcoin, instead of someone else.
libertyzeal

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:28:43 PM

A predetermined function over time whose impact on the real world is the employment of physical resources as described above. You're missing the point.

you are changing your argument with each post you make.

Creating something out of nothing means that you are not bound to the use of any physical resources.
you aren't. you are bound by a function over time/algorithm, and by the fact that everyone agrees to that function by downloading the same bitcoin client.
there are no resources involved in bitcoin creation, aka out of thin air.

by employing resources, you can only make it so that YOU get a bitcoin, instead of someone else.

Believe me, if people could magically create bitcoins by downloading or hacking together an alternate client, they would, and bitcoins wouldn't exist at all.  But they can't, the block chain verifies all bitcoin creation, and that's why all these mining rigs (which cost money to build and electricity to operate) are doing useful work by strengthening the block chain, it's not "out of then air", and it's a hell of a lot more legitimate than simply firing up a printing press and printing paper money.

Really though, this thread is getting useless, how don't know how many different ways I can explain the same thing.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: