Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:46:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Power efficiency argument fallacy  (Read 5617 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 10:10:03 PM

Who would lose if Bitcoin went to $100 today?
Why nickel and dime the miners who are the machine?
Early people who preordered mining hardware would be screwed if BTC jumped to $100, unless they paid with fiat. People who just recently purchased pre-order hardware would be doubly screwed.

when I did the jalapeno->"little single whatever" upgrade, BFL wanted FIAT via paypal only. The jalapeno was payed in bitcoin, true, but when I buy things using bitcoin, I replenish the supply by buying more using FIAT.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
abeaulieu

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 11:58:51 PM

If mining is a marginal industry then Bitcoin is, and always will be, marginal. Huh

Bitcoin Mining is just a subset of Bitcoin. Just because mining is marginal does not make the currency itself marginal.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 06:24:12 AM

If mining is a marginal industry then Bitcoin is, and always will be, marginal. Huh

Bitcoin Mining is just a subset of Bitcoin. Just because mining is marginal does not make the currency itself marginal.

Correct - also, mining isn't marginal - it's the core design... without miners there isn't a bitcoin network.

That being said - Everyone needs to just stop freaking out about ASICs. a single will make what a single makes, and a rig will make what a rig makes... You'll still be struggling for some percentage of the entire network. We need to start focusing on growing bitcoin as a network, instead of just profit taking.

Lets get those transactions fees high enough to replace the block reward entirely. Yes? Great...

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 09:38:37 AM

Correct - also, mining isn't marginal - it's the core design... without miners there isn't a bitcoin network.

That being said - Everyone needs to just stop freaking out about ASICs. a single will make what a single makes, and a rig will make what a rig makes... You'll still be struggling for some percentage of the entire network. We need to start focusing on growing bitcoin as a network, instead of just profit taking.

Lets get those transactions fees high enough to replace the block reward entirely. Yes? Great...

If you mean: keep the fees low but increase the number of transactions, then I'm all for it. Let's see how bitcoin scales.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
abeaulieu

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:56:35 PM

Agreed. Everyone benefits from growing the network. At the very least there will be much more stability. If it grows enough then the price per BTC should increase as well. And yes more transactions could make the transaction fees earned by miners actually worth it.
punningclan

Activity: 283

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:23:08 PM

To clarify, the miner's take all the capital risk of the Bitcoin protocol.

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 05:24:03 AM

OMG WTFBBQ.
Power will be crucial.

I'm with Organofcorti on this one. The math doesn't lie.

As for gen two? You will not be required to upgrade. 65->45nm wont be enough of an improvement to shut miners out. Also your 60w device is good to about 600TH network hash rate with 1 yr ROI! If the price climbs more you can still hash at higher difficulties.

But if you want, the hardware would have trade in value at bfl, 50% or so has been what the fpgas are worth at upgrade time. reduced capital expenses, reduced power consumption.

RPi host ftw.

You're welcome.

(man I'm in a pissy mod or what?)

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
firefop

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 05:42:32 AM

If you mean: keep the fees low but increase the number of transactions, then I'm all for it. Let's see how bitcoin scales.

Yes of course. Grow the potential gain from mining by having more transactions leaving the fees at current rates.

To be honest, once the average fees per block surpass 50btc - I'd expect that the next logical step make blocks happen faster. With the eventual goal being a block every 2 mins. This would be the final step in making the network robust enough to actually compete with traditional point of sale networks.

Now we could wait for that growth of mining rewards to happen naturally - but there might be a chance that this gets done early, assuming that the network gets into the 2000+ transaction per second range.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 06:35:06 AM

I could see how power consumption could be a big deal for someone paying .2 or .3, but I don't think that most people pay that much, especially in the US.

Sorry, I hadn't realised this was a "US only" thread Smiley

There are lots of miners paying US$0.20 - US$0.30 per kWh. Of course, I don't know exactly how many. Maybe the US miners vastly outnumber the non-US miners, and power consumption won't matter. Or maybe all miners will relocate their machines to US data centres in states with cheap electricity (that'd be my preferred option).

But without data on how many miners pay a certain amount for electricity, you really can't know if there's going to be a "chilling effect" on the network hashrate any time soon.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 06:45:27 AM

Sorry, I hadn't realised this was a "US only" thread Smiley

No no, my apologies, it is not a US only thread  Grin. I see your point. I would be much more concerned about power consumption if I was paying .20c or .30c per KWh
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 06:48:12 AM

I could see how power consumption could be a big deal for someone paying .2 or .3, but I don't think that most people pay that much, especially in the US.

{snip...]Or maybe all miners will relocate their machines to US data centres in states with cheap electricity (that'd be my preferred option).

But without data on how many miners pay a certain amount for electricity, you really can't know if there's going to be a "chilling effect" on the network hashrate any time soon.

How much does this cost?

Is it affordable to do this?

If so, how does someone go about doing what you described? (collocating  I think it is called.)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 07:18:25 AM

{snip...]Or maybe all miners will relocate their machines to US data centres in states with cheap electricity (that'd be my preferred option).

How much does this cost?
I don't know yet.

I don't know yet.

If so, how does someone go about doing what you described? (collocating  I think it is called.)
I don't know yet.

What I would do is start by posting your request on a board in this forum. Find some well known long time and respected members who run or work at a data centre are willing to do what you're asking, and find out how much they'd charge per month. If you don't want to SSH in to manage your miners, find out if they'll manage them for you, and if so how much extra that will cost.

Then, once you have all the data, collate it into a table, and then pm me with it. Then I'll be able to edit my post and supply you with the details you're after Wink It's not that I'm lazy, I just haven't put an ASIC order in yet.

firefop

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 07:20:04 AM

How much does this cost?

It would simply involve shipping your hardware to the datacenter location - and then paying a housing fee (think electricty + bandwidth costs + a small margin for profit). Personally, I'd be happy to house your mining equipment - you can manage it via remote session and I'm sure we could work out a percentage based on what your current power costs are.

For us to find a starting point, what are your current power draw and cost?

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 07:29:01 AM

It would simply involve shipping your hardware to the datacenter location - and then paying a housing fee (think electricty + bandwidth costs + a small margin for profit). Personally, I'd be happy to house your mining equipment - you can manage it via remote session and I'm sure we could work out a percentage based on what your current power costs are.

Well, PuertoLibre, it turns out that you could just ask firepfop. How much do you pay for electricity? Would you be housing equipment at home or do you have/work at a datacentre?

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 08:32:01 AM
Last edit: November 25, 2012, 08:45:22 AM by PuertoLibre

How much does this cost?

If I am not mistaken it is around 0.095 cents per kwh. (It fluctuates as the electrical company here changes the rates every few months.)

Edit: I have heard that Datacenters pay the cheaper wholesale rate of .045 -> .01 per kwh.

I also asked because I have just purchased my first [used] blade server and would consider collocation.

I don't mine so my current costs are zero in that vein.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 08:59:36 AM

If I am not mistaken it is around 0.095 cents per kwh. (It fluctuates as the electrical company here changes the rates every few months.)

You are mistaken Smiley You mean 9.5 cents or $0.095 per kWh.
abeaulieu

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 12:07:52 AM

why does everyone seem to struggle with dollars vs. cents.
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 12:22:32 AM

why does everyone seem to struggle with dollars vs. cents.

I wish I could use 10Kwh of electricity for less than a cent, but this does highlight WHY so many people think they can buy a Rolls Royce after mining bitcoins for a week.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: