Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:47:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: could kim dotcom start his own blockchain?  (Read 2288 times)
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 07:46:36 PM

if i were in the position of being able to open something up to millions of people at once, and know that they were going to adopt it, i would probably not adopt the existing currency, but make my own.

if he did that, i think he would have far more users and value in the system than 'we' would.

what do you guys think?
cdnbcguy

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 07:56:49 PM

I think you mean could he not fork the project and make his own BTC-style currency like others have done.

He probably already has and is pre-mining a few hundred thousand.... The multicoin people made it not so hard to do.

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 08:10:11 PM

KimCoins would have no value to me.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 08:28:20 PM

He's going to have to also provide an exchange for converting fiat to and from his currency. And therein lies the problem, if he's the only vendor it could easily get shut down.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 08:31:06 PM

I guess each megabox could also have a built in miner to bootstrap things. Of course he would have to worry about the bitcoin pools 51% attacking it.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 13013

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 08:45:49 PM

I don't think he's big enough to supplant Bitcoin in that way. Maybe Google could.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 08:46:06 PM

very very surely he would not do that but if he did it would be great news for bitcoin. It could get dirty around the competitors fighting each-other and bitcoin pools would team up with Hollywood against KimCoin. Ahhh!! What news that would bring Smiley)

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 08:47:50 PM

I don't think he's big enough to supplant Bitcoin in that way. Maybe Google could.

Perhaps. I think they are more likely to use bitcoin though. Its perfect for google wallet.

Knowing how they like to track everything Im sure they could think of interesting ways to use the block chain......

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 08:49:18 PM

very very surely he would not do that but if he did it would be great news for bitcoin. It could get dirty around the competitors fighting each-other and bitcoin pools would team up with Hollywood against KimCoin. Ahhh!! What news that would bring Smiley)

yeah, the "cyber currency war", very hip.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 09:12:56 PM

lol Cheesy Kimcoin Tongue
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 09:46:51 PM

He should make his own internet protocol too, and write the text on his site in Esperanto, er that might be too mainstream, Esperanzo?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 09:48:35 PM

Maybe Amazon could.  Not Kim Dotcom.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
BlackBison

Activity: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 10:01:18 PM

He should make his own internet protocol too, and write the text on his site in Esperanto, er that might be too mainstream, Esperanzo?

Yea maybe he should make his own separate Internet and server manufacturing company too  Grin

legolouman

Activity: 504

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 10:14:59 PM

I approve of the MegaCoin, KimCoin, or whatever he calls it.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 10:38:39 PM

+1
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 11:18:50 PM

KimDotCom is not stupid.

kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 12:45:02 AM

He could and he should, if he sees that that way suits him better. Bitcoin is about freedom - anyone can use any tool for exchange. If someone sees that some altcoin is better, then he probably should star one and see if it catches on.

(However, from practical viewpoint I don't see that Kim's own block chain would catch on.)

DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 02:34:07 AM

if i were in the position of being able to open something up to millions of people at once, and know that they were going to adopt it, i would probably not adopt the existing currency, but make my own.

if he did that, i think he would have far more users and value in the system than 'we' would.

what do you guys think?

No problem, he can, but I surely doubt a single man could acheive something that is 10% near the quality of BTC.. In the long run, I bet BTC win all the way !

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 03:03:21 AM

Network Effect
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 12:08:09 PM

but why not? bitcoin doesn't seem to have many users right now, and certainly there are never very many clients online at a time, according to those maps and charts.

think about it: if there is some downloadable, p2p component to mega, he could embed a cryptocurrency client into it and ta-da, we've got a bigger one than bitcoin itself.

Perhaps. I think they are more likely to use bitcoin though. Its perfect for google wallet.

Knowing how they like to track everything Im sure they could think of interesting ways to use the block chain......
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: