Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:52:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for Iota usecases?  (Read 2044 times)
BTCDDev (OP)

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 01:01:26 AM

Hi,

As you may have heard, Iota is being touted as the coin for the Internet-of-Things.

http://www.iotatoken.com/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1216479.0

Since it doesn't use a blockchain data structure, and instead is using a directed acyclic graph where each individual transaction is receiving proof of work instead of in batches, it promises to vastly reduce the hardware necessary for making transactions.

According to Legendary lead developer Come-From-Beyond, once peers are established, a simple node will only need 16 KB to send/receive funds.

I figured I would make this thread to discuss possible uses for this technology. It is being targeted for release at Christmas, and they seem to be sticking with that deadline.

I have met some IoT entrepreneurs, for example, who have worked on creating wireless IoT toothbrushes. I am thinking that Iota could be perfect for ordering replacements with the simple click of a button. Perhaps the toothbrush could have some charging station, and you can easily order replacement toothpaste, floss, etc. very quickly and efficiently.

I think that there can be some massive profits involved with anyone who sets up a payment gateway to convert Iota on the fly.

Any other ideas?

BitcoinDark: RPHWc5CwP9YMMbvXQ4oXz5rQHb3pKkhaxc
Top Donations: juicybirds 420BTCD ensorcell 84BTCD Stuntruffle: 40BTCD
Top April Donations: juicybirds 420BTCD; ensorcell: 42BTCD
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 06:05:03 AM

I figured I would make this thread to discuss possible uses for this technology. It is being targeted for release at Christmas, and they seem to be sticking with that deadline.

I have met some IoT entrepreneurs, for example, who have worked on creating wireless IoT toothbrushes. I am thinking that Iota could be perfect for ordering replacements with the simple click of a button. Perhaps the toothbrush could have some charging station, and you can easily order replacement toothpaste, floss, etc. very quickly and efficiently.

I think that there can be some massive profits involved with anyone who sets up a payment gateway to convert Iota on the fly.

Any other ideas?

Inb4 PoB ... Proof-of-Brush

"Wireless IoT toothbrushes"  This is probably the dumbest idea that I've ever heard. 

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
iotatoken

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:32:38 AM

Any other ideas?

"Wireless IoT toothbrushes"  This is probably the dumbest idea that I've ever heard. 

How is it?

IoT toothbrushes will be able to sense gum disease, cavities and so on via sensors, not to mention analyse your saliva for things like cancer, while also tracking your brushing. There are plenty of IoT use-cases for toothbrushes.

megges

Activity: 371

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 11:50:18 AM

Dunno how Iota will work out, but in regards of the internet of things, i'm still waiting for that freezer, that will cool itself through mining and then if i use my last milk in the freezer it will automatically reorder a new one with the mined coins Smiley

tip me! Tongue XtSrWch1U3BsTBFBHj7acTTzxFo1fy5BMa
CryptoSporidium

Activity: 405

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 11:54:46 AM

Any other ideas?

You obviously have not thought deeply on IoT yet. Any purchased object that is always needed, like a toothbrush, will sense when it is close to needing replacement, then self order. Expect to have IoT capabilities on every can, packet, and bag in every supermarket within 10 years. Who likes grocery shopping?
BTCDDev (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 02:12:32 PM

I think you all are missing the point...

It doesn't matter if you think IoT toothbrushes are a great idea. They are getting millions of USD in VC money anyway.

There are a ton of use cases, I made this thread to simply ask for ideas.

iotatoken

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 02:13:26 PM

Dunno how Iota will work out, but in regards of the internet of things, i'm still waiting for that freezer, that will cool itself through mining and then if i use my last milk in the freezer it will automatically reorder a new one with the mined coins Smiley

Cool itself through mining would be cool:)

On a serious note, you have just highlighted the reason 21 inc's business plan is flawed. IoT devices do not want an asic that is there soley to mine a tiny portion of satoshis while consuming a lot of electricity, bandwidth and generating heat.

In IOTA we do believe that we these kind of autopurchases will be made possible. I believe technological resource trade will arise first, simply due to the lessened obstacles in terms of infrastructure. Having your fridge order milk is in and of itself not hard, but having the milk shipped to your home automatically while still being profitable, is a whole nother story.

Realistically the self-ordering scenario for things like milk will only start getting adoption once drones gets adopted. I can see this being a common thing 5-10 years into the future, drones delivering all kinds of things in real time all day everyday. I know Amazon is working hard on this.

coldmoldy

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 01:05:08 AM

How about recycling initiatives?

Imagine recycling canisters that could communicate with your cell phone, determine and track just how much material you recycled, and automatically give you a little bit of money for it.

Probably would work to automate scrap yards as well.
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2015, 03:07:30 AM

more shit scam ideas, it's the new thing which end up with nothing

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
iotatoken

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 03:35:46 AM

How about recycling initiatives?

Imagine recycling canisters that could communicate with your cell phone, determine and track just how much material you recycled, and automatically give you a little bit of money for it.

Probably would work to automate scrap yards as well.

Good idea, this could work indeed. Not sure exactly how it would be calculated though, any ideas?

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 05:59:12 AM

IoT toothbrushes will be able to sense gum disease, cavities and so on via sensors, not to mention analyse your saliva for things like cancer, while also tracking your brushing. There are plenty of IoT use-cases for toothbrushes.

You obviously have not thought deeply on IoT yet. Any purchased object that is always needed, like a toothbrush, will sense when it is close to needing replacement, then self order. Expect to have IoT capabilities on every can, packet, and bag in every supermarket within 10 years. Who likes grocery shopping?

In what type of make-believe reality do you guys live in?  99.9999% of the people in the world are lucky if they have teeth and can barely afford a regular toothbrush let alone an IoT Toothbrush that detects gum disease, analyzes your saliva for cancer, and reorders replacement heads.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
BTCDDev (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 06:12:42 AM

In what type of make-believe reality do you guys live in?  99.9999% of the people in the world are lucky if they have teeth and can barely afford a regular toothbrush let alone an IoT Toothbrush that detects gum disease, analyzes your saliva for cancer, and reorders replacement heads.

Yet somehow everyone seems to have smartphones?

Come from Beyond is claiming that Iota only requires a 16KB microprocessor to make txs and broadcast. That kind of hardware is dirt cheap.

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 06:49:57 AM

In what type of make-believe reality do you guys live in?  99.9999% of the people in the world are lucky if they have teeth and can barely afford a regular toothbrush let alone an IoT Toothbrush that detects gum disease, analyzes your saliva for cancer, and reorders replacement heads.

Come from Beyond is claiming that Iota only requires a 16KB microprocessor to make txs and broadcast. That kind of hardware is dirt cheap.

Come-from-Beyond also claims that he doesn't have a smartphone.  Most people live hand-to-mouth and can barely afford their cellphone bill.  The only reason most people have smartphones is because to function you have to have some type of communication device and they are almost exclusively all that is available for purchase and supported anymore.  There is also a "coolness" factor that has been superimposed upon them by the manufacturers.  Good luck attaching a "coolness" factor to a toothbrush.

What you have here is an international communist (Uniqueorn/David aka Triangle/iotatoken) who is trying to convince everyone to invest (although he claims that "it's *NOT* an investment") in an IoT currency (He also claims that it's not a currency) which will allow the preorder of toothbrush replacement heads for a toothbrush that only the 1% (him and his politburo buddies) can afford to purchase.  In what type of screwed up world does this make sense?

megges

Activity: 371

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:04:05 AM

In what type of make-believe reality do you guys live in?  99.9999% of the people in the world are lucky if they have teeth and can barely afford a regular toothbrush let alone an IoT Toothbrush that detects gum disease, analyzes your saliva for cancer, and reorders replacement heads.

Come-from-Beyond also claims that he doesn't have a smartphone.  Most people live hand-to-mouth and can barely afford their cellphone bill.  The only reason most people have smartphones is because to function you have to have some type of communication device and they are almost exclusively all that is available for purchase and supported anymore.  There is also a "coolness" factor that has been superimposed upon them by the manufacturers.  Good luck attaching a "coolness" factor to a toothbrush.

What you have here is an international communist (Uniqueorn/David aka Triangle/iotatoken) who is trying to convince everyone to invest (although he claims that "it's *NOT* an investment") in an IoT currency (He also claims that it's not a currency) which will allow the preorder of toothbrush replacement heads for a toothbrush that only the 1% (him and his politburo buddies) can afford to purchase.  In what type of screwed up world does this make sense?

You know that just because there is a new door not everyone have to walk through, but some are willing to, so why not ?!

For the example of "intelligent" toothbrushes, they are already there: http://www.oralb.com/products/electric-toothbrush/bluetooth-toothbrush.aspx 

tip me! Tongue XtSrWch1U3BsTBFBHj7acTTzxFo1fy5BMa
iotatoken

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 10:06:18 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2015, 12:07:48 PM by iotatoken

*edited to avoid further drama*
2kool4skool/decentralizeeconomics, please stop trolling, do something productive with your life.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 08:39:44 PM

How does the IOTA tokens fit into this? Why are they needed for ordering replacements? Devices can connect to internet and order stuff without any tokens.
iotatoken

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 09:07:01 PM

How does the IOTA tokens fit into this? Why are they needed for ordering replacements? Devices can connect to internet and order stuff without any tokens.

For a general overview of some of the use-cases for IOTA in IoT read this article

As for ordering replacements, the payment processing fees are quite detrimental to micro-purchases. If you are to buy something that cost 1 dollar and have to pay a 50 cent payment processing fee, well that sucks.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 06:45:53 AM

For a general overview of some of the use-cases for IOTA in IoT read this article

As for ordering replacements, the payment processing fees are quite detrimental to micro-purchases. If you are to buy something that cost 1 dollar and have to pay a 50 cent payment processing fee, well that sucks.

If I order something to my home now there are no such payment processing fees. If such a scenario actually happens, the fees would come from delivery costs I would imagine? And the store would probably buffer my purchases until they have enough to justify the delivery costs and then I could pay with my debit or credit card like I do with any other purchase/order. Or if they can actually deliver 1 dollar items one by one using a drone or w/e they could send me a bill or charge my card once a month.

The toothbrush doing the actual paying the user would have to buy tokens from somewhere using fiat and a payment processor anyway, and then keep the toothbrush loaded with enough tokens. And what if the device loses its memory or explodes you'll lose your unused tokens.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2015, 06:08:06 PM

I think you all are missing the point...

It doesn't matter if you think IoT toothbrushes are a great idea. They are getting millions of USD in VC money anyway.

There are a ton of use cases, I made this thread to simply ask for ideas.

The trouble is, you're asking for IoT usecases instead of usecases for IOTA specifically. It's like you're trying to drum up usecases for Bitcoin by asking about "internet money."

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 05:18:15 AM

The toothbrush doing the actual paying the user would have to buy tokens from somewhere using fiat and a payment processor anyway, and then keep the toothbrush loaded with enough tokens. And what if the device loses its memory or explodes you'll lose your unused tokens.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: