Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:30:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the BFL forums in f****** China?  (Read 7363 times)
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 10:43:59 PM

I'm more interested in why anyone in authority at BFL would allow a company officer to post attack after attack on the most important forum that's relevant to their business.
" no more ramen."

Omg really?

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 11:23:46 PM

I'm more interested in why anyone in authority at BFL would allow a company officer to post attack after attack on the most important forum that's relevant to their business.

Ok, now say that with a straight face.

You know how the Nigerians specifically prepare their 419 scams to be as outrageously absurd and stupid as possible in the attempt to appeal only to the very naive and to not waste time with people calling out their scam.

Indeed, good Sir Greyhawk, you may be on to something there.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 12:56:49 AM

Ok, now say that with a straight face.

You know how the Nigerians specifically prepare their 419 scams to be as outrageously absurd and stupid as possible in the attempt to appeal only to the very naive and to not waste time with people calling out their scam.

Indeed, good Sir Greyhawk, you may be on to something there.

Seeing as Josh's role is Public Relations / Investor Relations and not head of slicing and packaging I find it hard to believe that he was left out of the loop on that one. Seems in his role at BFL he should be made aware of all those pesky little details....

PS - My job is not PR or investor relations, which is why I don't coddle idiots like Frizz and PuertoLibre when they display their stupidity over and over.  If I were the PR guy, I'd have to tell them warm fuzzies and make them feel good about themselves.  Thankfully, my job is much different and it involves firing "customers" like Frizz et al because they cost far more than they generate in revenue and we do not want them as customers.  Ever.

That does make sense. If you don't intend to deliver, ever.  

Quote from: Microsoft Research
Since gullibility is unobservable, the best strategy is
to get those who possess this quality to self-identify. An
email with tales of fabulous amounts of money and West
African corruption will strike all but the most gullible
as bizarre. It will be recognized and ignored by anyone
who has been using the Internet long enough to have
seen it several times. It will be figured out by anyone
savvy enough to use a search engine and follow up on
the auto-complete suggestions such as shown in Figure
8. It won’t be pursued by anyone who consults sensible
family or fiends, or who reads any of the advice banks
and money transfer agencies make available. Those who
remain are the scammers ideal targets. They represent
a tiny subset of the overall population. In the language
of our analysis the density of viable victims, d, is very
low: perhaps 1-in-10,000 or 1-in-100,00 or fewer will fall
for this scam.

As we’ve seen, in Section 3.3, at low victim densi-
ties the attack/don’t attack decisions must be extremely
conservative. If only 0.00001% of the population is vi-
able then mistakenly attacking even a small portion of
the 99.999% of the population that is non-viable de-
stroys profit. The initial email is effectively the at-
tacker’s classifier: it determines who responds, and thus
who the scammer attacks (i.e., enters into email con-
versation with). The goal of the email is not so much
to attract viable users as to repel the non-viable ones,
who greatly outnumber them. Failure to repel all but a
tiny fraction of non-viable users will make the scheme
unprofitable. The mirth which the fabulous tales of
Nigerian scam emails provoke suggests that it is mostly
successful in this regard. A less outlandish wording that
did not mention Nigeria would almost certainly gather
more total responses and more viable responses, but
would yield lower overall profit. Recall, that viability
requires that the scammer actually extract money from
the victim: those who are fooled for a while, but then
figure it out, or who balk at the last hurdle are precisely
the expensive false positives that the scammer must deter.
In choosing a wording to dissuade all but the likeliest
prospects the scammer reveals a great sensitivity
to false positives.
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/?id=167719
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/167719/WhyFromNigeria.pdf
superfastkyle

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 10:32:23 PM

haha I didn't realize my post in the ps3 thread was deleting, thanks for letting me know. he obviously has a ego problem. how long til he deletes my eclipse account and the pennies that are in it?
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:38:26 AM

I'm positive this has come up at company meetings, and I'll tell you the answer: it doesn't fucking matter. Everyone has made their mind up already, and no amount of influence or evidence will sway either side in the other direction. It's fucking insane watching everyone arguing day in and day out about the same couple of points with the same goddamn counterpoints. There have got to be several thousand pages of shit on this topic that could be condensed in to about 5 sentences.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 08:28:09 AM

I'm positive this has come up at company meetings, and I'll tell you the answer: it doesn't fucking matter. Everyone has made their mind up already, and no amount of influence or evidence will sway either side in the other direction. It's fucking insane watching everyone arguing day in and day out about the same couple of points with the same goddamn counterpoints. There have got to be several thousand pages of shit on this topic that could be condensed in to about 5 sentences.

Try the decaf.

These 5 hypothetical succinct sentences, being the sum of several thousand pages of shit, would only have evolved into what they are because of the pages of shit. BFL did not start with the reputation they now have, they've earned it. Had they begun with the reputation they have now on these forums, they'd likely have far fewer pre-orders and we'd have far fewer pages of shit to wade through. It's the forum equivalent of watching sausage being made.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 05:43:57 PM

Try the decaf.

These 5 hypothetical succinct sentences, being the sum of several thousand pages of shit, would only have evolved into what they are because of the pages of shit. BFL did not start with the reputation they now have, they've earned it. Had they begun with the reputation they have now on these forums, they'd likely have far fewer pre-orders and we'd have far fewer pages of shit to wade through. It's the forum equivalent of watching sausage being made.

No, it's people like you who continuously post false information to bolster your flawed arguments.  If you would stop posting false information, then there'd be nothing to respond to.  As it is, you post so much bullshit that you can, quite literally, pick almost any random post you've made regarding BFL and demonstrate why what you're saying is false.  For bonus points, even after being shown that what you are saying is a complete lie, you still maintain the fiction no matter what.  You aren't the only one, of course, there's a couple others who are so thick headed as to be unable to admit that what you've posted is false, even when the evidence to the contrary is staring you in the face.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Third Way

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 06:59:43 PM

No, it's people like you who continuously post false information to bolster your flawed arguments.  If you would stop posting false information, then there'd be nothing to respond to.  As it is, you post so much bullshit that you can, quite literally, pick almost any random post you've made regarding BFL and demonstrate why what you're saying is false.  For bonus points, even after being shown that what you are saying is a complete lie, you still maintain the fiction no matter what.  You aren't the only one, of course, there's a couple others who are so thick headed as to be unable to admit that what you've posted is false, even when the evidence to the contrary is staring you in the face.

"The Jew knew nothing at all about yesterday and repeated his same old twaddle as though nothing had happened; if you angrily challenged him on this, he could not remember a thing other than he had demonstrated the correctness of his assertions on the previous day.

Many times I stood there astonished.

I didn't know what to be more amazed at: their verbal agility or their art in lying."

(Source: Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf (14th ed., Munich, 1932), pp. 54-70. Translated by Richard S. Levy.])
The similarities are astounding.

elux
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 12:09:14 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2012, 12:29:54 PM by elux

Since Godwin's Law has already been invoked:

Quote from: Mein Kampf
In the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods.

It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying.

I'll show myself out.
Third Way

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 12:49:38 PM

Since Godwin's Law has already been invoked:

Quote from: Mein Kampf
In the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods.

It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying.

I'll show myself out.

BFL is a Goebbel's limited liability company?

creativex

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 04:29:24 PM

Try the decaf.

No, it's people like you who continuously post false information to bolster your flawed arguments.  If you would stop posting false information, then there'd be nothing to respond to.  As it is, you post so much bullshit that you can, quite literally, pick almost any random post you've made regarding BFL and demonstrate why what you're saying is false.  For bonus points, even after being shown that what you are saying is a complete lie, you still maintain the fiction no matter what.  You aren't the only one, of course, there's a couple others who are so thick headed as to be unable to admit that what you've posted is false, even when the evidence to the contrary is staring you in the face.

Once OT personal attacks are removed from your post, you said absolutely nothing. You neither refuted anything I said, nor offered your own explanation. Try to check your anger and stay on topic Josh.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 09:27:12 PM

Once OT personal attacks are removed from your post, you said absolutely nothing. You neither refuted anything I said, nor offered your own explanation. Try to check your anger and stay on topic Josh.

Another fine example of your delusion.  I refute your statements quite regularly... you just keep spouting the same nonsense over and over hoping that someone will believe you.  Sadly (for you), the majority of the forum and the rest of the public disagree with you and your misinformation.  But the basic premise remains.  Stop posting lies and misinformation and I will stop posting and correcting you.  Pretty simple equation there, I am only mildly surprised you failed to understand something as simple as that, as you'v shown very little aptitude of understand  simple concepts in the past.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
creativex

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 09:38:41 PM

Another fine example of your delusion.  I refute your statements quite regularly... you just keep spouting the same nonsense over and over hoping that someone will believe you.  Sadly (for you), the majority of the forum and the rest of the public disagree with you and your misinformation.  But the basic premise remains.  Stop posting lies and misinformation and I will stop posting and correcting you.  Pretty simple equation there, I am only mildly surprised you failed to understand something as simple as that, as you'v shown very little aptitude of understand  simple concepts in the past.

Anything to add that's ON TOPIC? No? Just another paragraph of childish chest pounding and obnoxious attacks.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 10:10:26 PM

Do you ever have anything to add that's on topic?  Why are you trying to hold me to the same standard you yourself can not maintain?

Hypocrisy much?

Remind me again what the topic of this thread is?  Oh... that's right, it's a question:  "Are the BFL forums in F****** China?"

The answer is "no".  It was answered pages ago.  Why is this thread still open then?  Or is this another difficult concept for you?

Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:29:10 PM

Remind me again what the topic of this thread is?  Oh... that's right, it's a question:  "Are the BFL forums in F****** China?"
The answer is "no".  It was answered pages ago.

Actually the answer was yes - there is censorship on the BFL forum. There are lots of examples. One is this here:

Another one bites the dust ... Wink

Thou shall not doubt the all-knowing Josh/Inaba, or stop him from spreading rubbish. Or you get deleted. Like this fella here:

A playstation 3?

... and it's gone: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/hardware-discussion/514-playstation-3-a.html#post7665

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
elux
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 12:11:44 AM

The answer is "no".  It was answered pages ago.  Why is this thread still open then?  Or is this another difficult concept for you?

Josh, the topic of this thread is not whether or not the BFL forums are hosted in the People's Republic of China.

Rather, it is a rhetorical question, where the state of the BFL forums is compared to the suppression of dissent by censorship in China.

Was this helpful, or is it still a difficult concept?

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 12:25:34 AM

And the rhetorical question asked was also answered... so again I ask, why is this thread still open?  And again I ask, is this another difficult concept for you, as well?

Third Way

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 12:31:12 AM

I think the REAL question is more along the lines of WHY are communist or socialist countries that have no form of democratic or republic repressentation in government call themselves "People's Republics of" when in reality their leaders are plutocrats, dictators or juntas?

elux
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 12:43:29 AM

And the rhetorical question asked was also answered... so again I ask, why is this thread still open?  And again I ask, is this another difficult concept for you, as well?

Well, I think it's still open because we're not on the BFL forums, where this annoying thread would be long gone by now.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 12:51:44 AM

Well, I think it's still open because we're not on the BFL forums, where this annoying thread would be long gone by now.

I couldn't get past the laughable bolded part... what were you saying?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: