Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:00:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Debit Card in US  (Read 766 times)
Viet (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:28:59 PM

Is there any Bitcoin wallet sites that would issue debit cards to people who reside in the United States?

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:31:11 PM

A lot might depend on what state you're in. Coinbase have just launched one but it's only available in 20 or so states.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:31:18 PM

SHIFT debit card issued by Coinbase:

https://blog.coinbase.com/2015/11/20/introducing-the-shift-card/

In order to spend bitcoin via Coinbase, cardholders must reside in one of the following U.S. states:
AL, AZ, CA, DE, DC, GA, ID, IA, KS, ME, MS, NE, NV, NJ, NC, ND, OK, OR, PA, PR, SD, TX, VT, WA, WV
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:31:41 PM

Is there any Bitcoin wallet sites that would issue debit cards to people who reside in the United States?

Yes there is, recently coinbase made this possible for u.s people, it's called Shift Card: https://blog.coinbase.com/2015/11/20/introducing-the-shift-card/
Viet (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 11:04:10 PM

Nice thanks guys!

Slightly off topic but would you guys recommend coinbase's wallet over bread wallet?

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 11:11:38 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2015, 11:23:42 PM by DannyHamilton

Slightly off topic but would you guys recommend coinbase's wallet over bread wallet?

That depends on your use cases and your risk tolerance. They are very different services for very different purposes.

Asking such a simplistic question is a bit like asking if someone would recommend a pickup truck over a 4-door sedan.

If you don't know what their situation is:

• Are they single, married, small family, large family?
  • Do they need to transport large or heavy stuff?
  • Do they need to transport business clients or co-workers
  • Will they be driving off paved roads?
  • What is the price of gasoline and/or diesel in their area?
  • etc.

Then either answer is as likely to be correct as it is to be incorrect.

Unlike vehicles though, the good news is that wallets are VERY cheap to acquire.  There really isn't any reason that you can't have multiple wallets, and use each when it best suits you.  Carry some bitcoins around in breadwallet so you can quickly and easily pay with your mobile phone.  Keep some bitcoins in a Coinbase account so you can use the debit card when a merchant doesn't accept bitcoins.  Have a full node wallet such as Core or Armory running on a computer at home where it is safer against loss or theft.  Store some bitcoins on a multi-sig paper wallet spread out in multiple secure locations for long term storage.

Most people don't even think twice about storing their cash all spread out, but then seem to hit a mental block when it comes to bitcoins.

I've got some cash in my back pocket so I can quickly and easily spend it while I'm out if I want to buy something.
I've got some cash at home where I can get it quickly and easily without needing to go to the ATM, but without being conserned about it being lost or stolen from my wallet.
I've got some cash in an account at a bank where it is insured, but a bit more inconvenient to access.
I've got some cash invested in stocks and bonds for longer term savings.
I've got some cash locked up in a 401k for retirement.

Can you imagine someone asking:
"Would you guys recommend a bank account wallet over the wallet in my pocket for holding cash?"
extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 11:16:00 PM

Nice thanks guys!

If you are going to use a debit card then you should go with the only opportunity for usa people, also check the fees and limits for this card, as far as i know bread wallet does not have any option for debit card does it?
As far as i know they are pretty safe even though they do not give you private key, but you can enable 2FA and by putting a strong password.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2015, 12:45:22 AM

WageCan, ANX, Bit-X and Shift see your bitcoin debit card options.

Viet (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 01:41:58 AM

Thank you! Much appreciated

Viet (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 07:58:51 PM

Anyone use xapo card?

ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 07:34:48 PM

Oh really its a nice Bitcoins debit card which has been introduced in united states of America,the shift Card. It will be very convenient to user for all the Bitcoins users for any transactions.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 07:49:31 PM

A friend of mine had been using the WageCan debit card for a while now and she's been very happy with the overall service, got her card in under a week to San Francisco, if I remember correctly.
ANX seems to have some issues though, according to some users, be careful which one you choose.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 07:51:32 PM

SHIFT debit card issued by Coinbase:

https://blog.coinbase.com/2015/11/20/introducing-the-shift-card/

In order to spend bitcoin via Coinbase, cardholders must reside in one of the following U.S. states:
AL, AZ, CA, DE, DC, GA, ID, IA, KS, ME, MS, NE, NV, NJ, NC, ND, OK, OR, PA, PR, SD, TX, VT, WA, WV

So let's say that you live in one of those states and go outside of the territory and go to, let's say, Florida.  Would you be able to use your bitcoin debit card there?  If so, is the only thing holding people back to getting these cards is that it will automatically turn into fiat on your card once you deposit bitcoins on your account?  Or does it keep the actual bitcoins on there and convert it once you make a purchase at a store?

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 08:15:13 PM

So let's say that you live in one of those states and go outside of the territory and go to, let's say, Florida.  Would you be able to use your bitcoin debit card there?  If so, is the only thing holding people back to getting these cards is that it will automatically turn into fiat on your card once you deposit bitcoins on your account?  Or does it keep the actual bitcoins on there and convert it once you make a purchase at a store?

Visa is visa wherever you are in the world. The tricky bit is obtaining it in the first place. The funds will remain in BTC until you make a transaction. That's when the exchange takes place.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: