Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:27:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S5+ control board on S7?  (Read 902 times)
fortysixntwo (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 02:27:41 AM

Hi Everyone,

So i've been having problems with a new Antminer S7, it's not reporting board temp and then shutting down even thought i'm not getting over 38-42 temp.  Sometimes it reports, other times it just shows 0.  and now i'm 100% shut down and it continues to beep.

While doing as much research and looking around as i can, i came across this small discrepancy.  The control board shows S5+ V1.6  despite this being an S7 (see photo below)

What does everyone make of this? Mistake from Bitmain? are all your S7s using the same S5+ Control board and what i'm experiencing is unrelated?

In the meantime, for info on what i've setup so far is:
I have updated to the latest firmware from oct. 23rd.
I'm running at the default 600 frequency from S7 Batch5
and fans were running at 100%
and it's PSU is the EVGA supernova 1600w G2

I got about 3 days work out of this before i started getting these shutdowns (started mining on saturday).  The rig is setup in a well ventilated warehouse space, so plenty of fresh cool air.

http://massprint.com/FF/IMG_4431.JPG

Thank you in advance...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 02:34:55 AM

Open temp probe perhaps? Not sure if they used a single sensor or a bunch of them running separate a/d's. Never used an antminer, how many temps does it normally report?
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 03:42:55 AM

The batch 7 units I received yesterday have the same control board.
However I think your issue is the control board, or as the previous person mentioned, the temp sensors but give us some screen shots of the unit's status display from a fresh boot.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 04:28:14 AM

As far as S5+ I only have had one but had good luck with it - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1157426.0

So I don't think your problem is related to S5+ in my eyes. Since it's new you need to make sure to contact bitmain to get warranty work.   I'm assuming did you buy from bitmain or did you get elsewhere?

I did have a S3 with temp problems they told me as long as it had 1 working it was fine.  So I ran it with one and it worked fine.  I'm betting they tell you it's fine as long as one is getting a temp.  But they might have changed policy as that was in S3 day's.
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 04:51:31 AM

As far as S5+ I only have had one but had good luck with it - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1157426.0

So I don't think your problem is related to S5+ in my eyes. Since it's new you need to make sure to contact bitmain to get warranty work.   I'm assuming did you buy from bitmain or did you get elsewhere?

I did have a S3 with temp problems they told me as long as it had 1 working it was fine.  So I ran it with one and it worked fine.  I'm betting they tell you it's fine as long as one is getting a temp.  But they might have changed policy as that was in S3 day's.

... as I mentioned the S7 units shipping with that same board I also have an original S5+ unit with that same board and while I had some minor complaints outside of shipping times with the batch 1 S7 units, both my S7s and the S5+ are all using that same board.

Did you have any issues with any of your S7 units notlist3d or did you pickup any of the S7s? I don't recall reading where you did or not.

Either way, the control boards being good on the S5+ for us doesn't mean you don't have an issue by far as others have, but as notlist3d stated you should get your warranty handled ASAP. The sooner you do, the sooner you are back mining witht he least amount of difficulty because that shit isn't slowing down until the spring. We are going to see bombastic incredible difficulty rise. So what you have mining now is what is important.

If I was in your shoes at the moment I would do one of two things.
1. If you have a buddy with multiple S7s ask him to sell you an S7 control board and double two of his up. IT has been shown too many times this works without issues, and he could get you one fast (if so inclined) while you process the warranty on yours, and that would allow you to prove it is 100% that board.
2. If no buddy on the scene then buy one from bitmain. It isn't like you couldn't sell it, and probably for a profit. But you would be running regardless.

Before doing anything though, I would speak with bitmain support, get that ticket going and perform the steps they want so you are setup for warranty.

The absolute most important thing at this point is do not waste time with decisions. Lay out all of your options, make a choice, and move on it quickly.

After 3 more months of the difficulty increases we are about to have it isn't going to be pretty and the people who make ROI will be selling units AND maintaining up-time. Spare parts can make a huge difference.

DO NOT let bitmain or anything keep your unit down for a month. If you are looking at 4 weeks down, sell it now and order another.
I'll bet you can sell it for at least what you paid even with issues, unless we are talking VAT on top or something similar, but you could get 1600 easy on ebay even with what you have described. IF you have to go to ebay, I prefer the forum here for sales.

Best of luck man!

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
fortysixntwo (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 09:56:58 AM

thanks for the feedback so far.

i did buy from bitmain, and i have already began the ticket process.  i have replied to everything they asked but getting a reply back has been slow.  I only noticed the s5+ board on my S7 after the last set of replies i made, so i was curious to see what other people on here with s7s had.  If everyone is getting the same board, then it seems they just reused it for everyone on the new models.

i have basically tried everything i could on my end updating firmware to shutting the machine down over a long period of time and rebooting afterwards.  No matter what i do, when i boot back up i get beeping out of the 3rd board and it always displays 127temp.  machine only runs if i unplug that board.  When it's up all the chips show up Ok, no Xs.

But when plugged back in, it just stays red, beeps and won't hash
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: