Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:09:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perma-ban limitations  (Read 658 times)
mexxer-2 (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1003

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 04:09:17 PM

I'm still not clear what happens when you create a new account to make a ban appeal(from the same IP ofc), does it have the perma-ban limitations(automatically) as well? Asking this question, what exactly are the perma-ban limitations? Are you not allowed to post at all etc? And what is the benefit of giving a perma-ban if you can create a new account and then post again: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1273411.msg13130379#msg13130379

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dbshck
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2440
Merit: 1616

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 04:35:26 PM

I'm still not clear what happens when you create a new account to make a ban appeal(from the same IP ofc), does it have the perma-ban limitations(automatically) as well?

No.

what exactly are the perma-ban limitations? Are you not allowed to post at all etc? And what is the benefit of giving a perma-ban if you can create a new account and then post again: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1273411.msg13130379#msg13130379

Banned user cannot make post and send PM at all. Ideally when someone gets perma-banned, they shouldn't use this forum anymore. It is true that they can easily make new account and start posting again but they'll have to build everything from zero. Remember that this behaviour (ban evading) is not allowed and the new account will immediately gets perma-banned too if the Staff know about it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mexxer-2 (OP)

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 04:38:13 PM

It is true that they can easily make new account and start posting again but they'll have to build everything from zero. Remember that this behaviour (ban evading) is not allowed and the new account will immediately gets perma-banned too if the Staff know about it.
So anyone with a copy of TOR can easily evade ban if they have alts and use different IPs on each?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2015, 04:45:15 PM
Merited by suchmoon (9), xandry (1)

There are 2 types of bans.

Autobans. Isn't what it sounds like, it means someone pressed the ban button, but it's automatically carried out, as opposed to be manually entered. Though there is a mod or two running scripts because of the spammers. This results in the message You were banned by a forum moderator, email xxx. Both global mods and admins use this, so it isn't a guarantee it was a moderator, just more likely. I use autoban instead of manual bans for permanent bans because it's faster and more efficient. All bans in the modlog are autobans, and permanent. 

Autobans ban the account involved only, you can still log in and do everything normally, just can't post or pm. It also adds units of evil to the IPs used, a new account created using these IPs will need to pay a fee. Units of evil increase with additional bans. Nuking is essentially an autoban+deletion of posts.

Manual bans are only available to admins, and are generally configured the same way as above, though it's possible to increase the scope of the ban to include things like registering from certain emails/providers, ips, subnets, hostnames, etc. Can also add multiple accounts to the same ban. It's also possible to prevent banned users from logging in at all using the banned account, this will prevent them from being able to read the forum and access pm's too though, so I rarely use it. These result in the customized reason for the ban+duration, insubstantial posts or whatever.

New accounts do not face any automatic restrictions beyond units of evil, a human needs to verify it. IPs alone are generally not conclusive evidence.

It is true that they can easily make new account and start posting again but they'll have to build everything from zero. Remember that this behaviour (ban evading) is not allowed and the new account will immediately gets perma-banned too if the Staff know about it.
So anyone with a copy of TOR can easily evade ban if they have alts and use different IPs on each?

Varying degrees of easy, being anonymous isn't as easy as people think it is, but yes. I would rather people be able to protect their privacy, even if it means it makes my duties more difficult, or impossible.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2015, 04:48:16 PM

If a person doesn't know about cookies, TOR is useless.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
mexxer-2 (OP)

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
December 02, 2015, 04:50:02 PM

-Sorry for snipping an awesome explanation-
Thank for the explanation, well , if you're not, banned yourself/a staff, I suppose its hard to know about the limitations. This helped me clear some things up which I'll probably explain to a newbie someday(hopefully).
#LockingTheThread

If a person doesn't know about cookies, TOR is useless.
I believe I'm one of those guys  Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: