Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:28:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitshine: GPU powered still for fuel/booze? (Just a wierd idea)  (Read 1458 times)
anodyne (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:42:08 PM

So, I was thinking about what to do with waste heat, and somehow got the idea of a still that runs off the heat generated from bitcoin hashing.

No idea if it's anything that would work in practice, but in theory it should be possible to generate enough heat to get some amount of mash to 78°C... but I don't have the knowledge to figure out what density of GPUs, and what mechanism of heat exchange (if any) would make this work in a useful way.

So, I'm throwing this idea out to here in case anyone with more engineering skills wants to play with it. Smiley

But, in case someone decides to try it practice... save one of the GPUs for a miner of mine?  Wink

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cc5alive

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 08:58:17 PM

Well, it's definitely creative!

Now accepting Bitcoin for the children's book "How to Keep Your Helicopter"
http://altanimus.com/product/how-to-keep-your-helicopter
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 09:06:29 PM

70C is perfect temperature for home-made dried jerky meat.

I suggest every miner to add this to their business. Considering the price of Jerky in shops, this may be good backup for your financial plan Smiley.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
Danijel Habek

Activity: 189

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:48:33 PM

I've just used one miner for a day to dry notebook keyboard which got spilled with kool-aid. I've rinsed the keyboard with benzene, and shoved it in the miner chassis near the exhaust fans.

Worked like a charm. Grin

Quote from: TraderTimm
For me, bitcoin is freedom that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 10:48:54 PM

You can run the chips hotter when using water cooling.

IBM’s Hot-Water Supercomputer Goes Live

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:17:53 AM

I once read this thing where this guy told about his first experience minning, next morning after setting the rigs up he fried an egg in the computer case, literally

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
anodyne (OP)

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:47:53 AM

Hmm.. I saw a website listing recipes for cooking food on the radiator while driving. I'm guessing they would work for mining as well, but I'd rather ask someone with experience in phase shift cooling about a method suitable for grease-insulating hardware first...  Cheesy

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: