Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:55:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCFPGA bASIC updated from 54GH/s to 72HG/s  (Read 10681 times)
Devious (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 12:18:00 AM

With two clusters on the larger unit, it will conservatively produce 72GH/s.  Yes, this is very good news - a 33% increase in hashing power!  Yes, this means the 27G unit now becomes a 36G unit.

From https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/

Those ordering from Tom are happy!-)
beekeeper

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 12:28:05 AM

With two clusters on the larger unit, it will conservatively produce 72GH/s.  Yes, this is very good news - a 33% increase in hashing power!  Yes, this means the 27G unit now becomes a 36G unit.

From https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/

Those ordering from Tom are happy!-)

But most likely this will add 3 extra weeks to deliver. One week redesigning board layout to accommodate more chips (this includes power circuit redesign), one week (they said 8 days) to produce pcb, one week to assemble everything.

PS: I'm a customer.

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
Devious (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 12:36:04 AM

But most likely this will add 3 extra weeks to deliver. One week redesigning board layout to accommodate more chips (this includes power circuit redesign), one week (they said 8 days) to produce pcb, one week to assemble everything.

PS: I'm a customer.

I'm a customer as well, I'm not sure what to think on the timeline,

Are you guys tracking on delivery targets?
Admittedly, its going to be tight - we lost a couple precious days to the Thanksgiving Holiday.  Tom expects to learn a lot more on Tuesday regarding schedule.

Hopefully there will be good news Tuesday.

Has BFL mentioned anything about it's shipping schedule?
beekeeper

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 12:42:53 AM

Hopefully there will be good news Tuesday.

Has BFL mentioned anything about it's shipping schedule?

BFL also wait for news Tuesday, their last chip version coming from fab.

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 01:01:57 AM

Hmm, so they are selling 72GH/sec for $1069.99 now?
beekeeper

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 01:04:38 AM

Hmm, so they are selling 72GH/sec for $1069.99 now?
Yes, but with a delay.

hahahafr

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 01:13:36 AM

HOLY SHIT. I support you BFL, but this is bad news for us BFL supporters.

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 02:21:51 AM

Heh, how great is it that there's a 'performance war' between companies before anything has even been released?  I imagine each ASIC vendor sees a rush of pre-orders every time one of these announcements come out.
squeept

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 02:29:13 AM

Competition is good. Everybody wins.

However, this announcement essentially includes the statement "we actually have nothing done whatsoever." So until both companies actually deliver, there will be no benefits.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 02:34:16 AM

2 words:
FUCK YES.

3 words.
SUCK IT, BFL

ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 02:46:47 AM

BFL's ASIC can match that if they want. At 40Ghash their ASIC was running at 500Mhz, and they said it can do 1Ghz but not all chips will reach it. So 72GHash is possible.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:00:59 AM

BFL's ASIC can match that if they want. At 40Ghash their ASIC was running at 500Mhz, and they said it can do 1Ghz but not all chips will reach it. So 72GHash is possible.
and that's still a conservative estimate.

These initial numbers are conservative estimates, but we expect that firmware and software updates will be able to iteratively increase hashing power as well.
so it might be even faster than 72 gh/s

in normal circumstances, i strongly dislike luke-jr, but at times, he can work some magic.

bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:01:40 AM

Not sure how many in this thread read the post referenced by OP, as most people are seeing "ASIC war!" but it looks like this is simply a result of ASIC stability.

Where is the design at now?
The design of the smaller bASIC unit grew from 2 ASICs per board to 6 in a cluster, each ASIC producing 4.5GH/s (safely) for a total of 27 GH/s.  As you probably know, digital computers/microprocessors operate using the binary (base-2) number  system.  This somewhat naturally leads to architectures that most efficiently have their components (such as I/O signals, communications paths, memories, etc.) in quantities of powers of two - 2, 4, 8, 16, and so on.

***Important - please read closely***
It is for this reason that we are going to grow our hashing cluster to 8 ASICs.  With two clusters on the larger unit, it will conservatively produce 72GH/s.  Yes, this is very good news - a 33% increase in hashing power!  Yes, this means the 27G unit now becomes a 36G unit.  These initial numbers are conservative estimates, but we expect that firmware and software updates will be able to iteratively increase hashing power as well.

Might be BS, or might be true, that it's simply a matter of the fact that 8 is more stable than 6, and that's why they chose to go this route, which will end up with some happy customers. Rather than being anything to do with outdoing BFL (though that doesn't hurt).

EDIT: Reminder though that chips were apparently literally dying at overclock speeds, so before you have wet dreams of overclocking, keep in mind the horrors of murdering your ASIC chip.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:09:14 AM

it'll most likely delay the production though.

well, there goes beginning of december..here's hoping close to the end of december.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:17:37 AM

Wait, so their chips were running ~14GH/s, with the cheaper unit running 2 chips (2 x 13.5 = 27), and the more expensive unit running 4 of these (4 x 13.5 = 54). They found out these were clocked too high, so they had to decrease performance. To compensate, they added an extra chip to each module. How many chips is it now? 3/6? 3 chips would sound about right (3 x 12 = 26) for the smaller one, and 6 chips for the larger one (6 x 12 = 72).

A) So they added 50% more chips, but only decreased the clock rate by ~10$, and somehow this is expected to use about the same amount of power? That doesn't make sense.

B) In order to do this, someone else mentioned that they have had to redesign their board, and redevelop their firmware (which may or may not be even completed yet), which just adds time. They're not even close to assembling hardware, are they?

C) A 50% increase in the chips used per unit means that whatever initial batch of chips they ordered, they can only ship 2/3 the same number of products. If they ordered 3,000 chips, they just went from being able to ship 750 units to 500 units.

D) I am loving the increase in hash speed at the same price point. Competition at it's best!

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:42:08 AM

8 chips x 9gh/s = 72.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4522
Merit: 1844

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:57:24 AM

These initial numbers are conservative estimates, but we expect that firmware and software updates will be able to iteratively increase hashing power as well.

in normal circumstances, i strongly dislike luke-jr, but at times, he can work some magic.

Eh what?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:58:52 AM

Eh what?
what?

luke-jr?

aside from shitting on other people that disagrees with him.

bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 04:00:36 AM

Wow, a 33 percent increase over the previously stated speed on this yet-to-be-seen product?   That's fast!
Easy2Mine

Activity: 854

einc.io

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 04:29:34 AM

The smaller unit is upgraded from 6 asic chips in a cluster to 8 asic chips for a total of 8*4.5 GH/s=36 GH/s
The bigger unit has 2 clusters of 8 asic chips. 2*8*4.5 GH/s=72 GH/s

Each BTCFPGA asic chip can do a maximum of 14 GH/s, but it won't last long at that speed.
6 chips per cluster are more difficult to implement than 8 chips per cluster.
I personnally think that they took the advice of the board designing company to change it to a 8 cluster or 2*8 cluster board.
Cablepair has already say that he is hiring one of the best board designing company to do the job.
In my humble opinion, I think they will have a greater chance to deliver on time if they go for the 8 chips per cluster board instead the 6 chips per cluster board.
But who am I?
Only time will tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: